Android 2.2 AT&T Captivate

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
A couple of questions:

Does using this odin loader 'Root' the phone also?

or

Does it only flash the rom to 2.2?

If I do this one would it interfere with an official release that may be forth coming?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
A couple of questions:

Does using this odin loader 'Root' the phone also?

or

Does it only flash the rom to 2.2?

If I do this one would it interfere with an official release that may be forth coming?

1. No, it does not root your phone, it reverts it either to pure stock eclair or froyo. you will lose any data not on your SD card

2.No, it does not only do 2.2

Stock Eclair 2.1 from Here

Stock Froyo from Here

For directions on how to use either one of these watch this

This will void your warranty if you bring your captivate back to the store with 2.2. Any modifications you make to your phone is your responsibility Android Central nor i am responsible for any modification you do to your phone. You do this at your own risk

That being said, enjoy :)

Reactions: the3dgm

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Alright, now having read all the posts at the 'Unofficial Froyo' or 'Leaked Froyo' under mazinkaiser11 post at the top, and I may very well not be understanding what everyone is saying, is that the .exe that you pointed to as 'Stock Froyo' is the odin one-click program and does not need to be rooted prior to running this. But simply; run the .exe on my computer, and then turn off my phone hold both halves of the volume control and plug in the usb cable then when the download icon displays click start on my computer. . . and wait till finished. It's also stated a number of times that the sdk is not needed.

But, you are saying that I need to root the phone and run the sdk in order for the above .exe file to work, correct?

Yes Sir, I understand that I'm the only one responsible for 'Bricking' my phone!! :^)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Alright, now having read all the posts at the 'Unofficial Froyo' or 'Leaked Froyo' under mazinkaiser11 post at the top, and I may very well not be understanding what everyone is saying, is that the .exe that you pointed to as 'Stock Froyo' is the odin one-click program and does not need to be rooted prior to running this. But simply; run the .exe on my computer, and then turn off my phone hold both halves of the volume control and plug in the usb cable then when the download icon displays click start on my computer. . . and wait till finished. It's also stated a number of times that the sdk is not needed.

But, you are saying that I need to root the phone and run the sdk in order for the above .exe file to work, correct?

Yes Sir, I understand that I'm the only one responsible for 'Bricking' my phone!! :^)

You do not need root to perform this, but you do need it to do a full backup using titanium back up . or you can purchase my backup pro, but if you do not need to save apps and stuff then you dont need to do any back up but do remember to sync your contacts to gmail, or export them to your SDcard. again if you dont care about your contacts move on

you do not need SDK but it is a good way to ensure a solid connection..

if you choose not to follow the directions in the video,,, do the following

open the Froyo odin file then do the following

1.Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
2.Insert the battery
3.Hold both Volume buttons (don't touch the power button)
4.Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

this will put you into download mode, with a big yellow triangle and it will say do not turn off target...

i suggest disabling any antivirus you are running before you start odin, because it may interupt the process and it will hang..

also i suggest plugging the USB cord to the back of the computer for the best connections

Reactions: the3dgm

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This is old news (October 2010). With that leaked 2.2 update, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to re-root your phone. Trust me, I did the 2.2 update the weekend that was released. If you want 2.2 on your phone, there are many custom ROMs out there that already have 2.2 (most now have 2.2.1). Those ROMs will root your phone automatically and enable sideloading of apps so you can restore your apps with Titanium Backup.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah this is old news. Oct 2010 old :p

It is old when you consider that between that time and now, there was at least one other Froyo leak for the Captivate (JJ4) along with the source code being released for the Rogers I-896 (Captivate's Canadian cousin) and for the Armani Captivate and the Chinese Captivate.

The Froyo leak that is referenced by the OP works fine, but a lot of changes have been made to the code - most of them for the better.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes there are alot of froyo based roms that are great....but as far as rooting it. Jist sideload z4root, open it, hit permanent and youre done
This is old news (October 2010). With that leaked 2.2 update, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to re-root your phone. Trust me, I did the 2.2 update the weekend that was released. If you want 2.2 on your phone, there are many custom ROMs out there that already have 2.2 (most now have 2.2.1). Those ROMs will root your phone automatically and enable sideloading of apps so you can restore your apps with Titanium Backup.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes there are alot of froyo based roms that are great....but as far as rooting it. Jist sideload z4root, open it, hit permanent and youre done

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

z4root may work now with it, but at the time you had flash 2.2 and then on the first boot, interrupt the boot and go back into recovery and reflash 2.1 for root to work (or something along those lines). None of the one-click root methods worked with that leak when it was first released.

maj0079

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I am VERY new to the android platform. Was a blackberry user for years. I love this phone, but like I said new to the android. Anyways, I've found a couple sites that have the step by step instructions to update to FROYO. My question is, will those links have the up-to-date versions (like will it be the 2.2.1?) Thanks!

jimmorris

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Watching the video, and trying to follow the steps "to the letter" I find that when I download Titanium and try to run it the first thing it tells me is "your phone is not rooted".

That being said, I'm not clear on how, if you follow the steps as listed in the video, how you can upgrade to 2.2 without rooting your phone.

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI, the link posted at the start of this post. It's a super easy way to get 2.2, just did it about 4 days ago! Takes about 3mins of sitting...

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze