Captivate Stay Alive

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me the purpose of this program?

Is the Captivate supposed to sleep at some time? If you use this program, it keeps it from turning off/going to sleep but uses alot of the battery by keeping it on......but if the Captivate doesn't ever sleep normally wouldn't that drain the same amount of battery usage.
Just confused
My phone turns off periodically at night while I'm asleep, maybe once a week. I'll get really concerned if it begins happening through out the day but so far only at night.
I did download this program just to check it out......but I do have questions.

Love this forum, you guys have been so informative!O:)O:)O:)O:)

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The program keeps the processor busy/active. It really doesn't use much of the battery as long as you don't set up the cutoff limit too low. KeepAlive doesn't help alot of the phones with the shutoff issue-didn't help mine. At&T will replace the phone. 800-801-1101-have the IMEI (SETTINGS->ABOUT PHONE->STATUS) ready and explain the overnight shutdown issue. My "new" phone has been problem free for almost three months now. If you don't want to give up your phone, a new ROM, from what I've read here, will more than likely correct the problem too.

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
where should the cut off limit be?
also I purchased the phone on Dec `13th at The Best Buy cell phone place, will AT & T still honor a replacement? Best Buy won't, I will have to send it to Samsung.
Also a new ROM? what is that? and how does it correct the issue. Thank u so much!

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
where should the cut off limit be?
also I purchased the phone on Dec `13th at The Best Buy cell phone place, will AT & T still honor a replacement? Best Buy won't, I will have to send it to Samsung.
Also a new ROM? what is that? and how does it correct the issue. Thank u so much!

1. Start high (90%). If the phone shuts off, go to 80%...etc.. I tried as low as 50% and it still was turning off.

2. Mine was almost a month past the 30 day warranty from the on-line store I bought it from and after a half hour discussion with AT&T customer service rep and tech support, they sent out a replacement.

3. A ROM is similar to a computer's operating system (Windows XP, Vista, 7). Some have noticed that their phone hasn't automatically shut off after flashing a custom ROM. Tricky to do, especially if you have alot of changes to your phone and don't follow the steps exactly. At the top of this forum go to Captivate Rooting, ROMS, and Hacks. Connexion2005 has good videos on how to do this.

I have successfully flashed Andromeda to two phones and haven't had any problems/bugs. Both were as close to stock as possible, just had phone contacts and an app or two (didn't have much to lose and nothing but phone contacts to restore). The site had the links to the required programs along with the procedure.

If you like the phone the way it is and if you're like me (not that techie) I'd go the AT&T replacement route. If you have the time to study up on it, a new ROM will make the phone better all around. But again, not certain if it will correct the shut off issue; just going by what others have said.

Reactions: buffee

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
How to I uninstall this program? thanks
About 20 minutes ago it went crazy. I have it set at 85%, when it got to 83%, I had No clock, No 3G icon/battery icon, email etc at the top of the phone ONLY
captivate stay alive flashing on & off, like it was on CRACK.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
How to I uninstall this program? thanks
About 20 minutes ago it went crazy. I have it set at 85%, when it got to 83%, I had No clock, No 3G icon/battery icon, email etc at the top of the phone ONLY
captivate stay alive flashing on & off, like it was on CRACK.

Go into Settings, press Applications, press Manage applications, press StayAlive (or whatever it's called). Press the Uninstall button.

That should be all you need to do.

Reactions: buffee

JanDot

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If your phone shuts down, the BEST route is ATT warranty replacement. Supposedly this is not an issue with more recently manufactured phones.

If you bought your phone new (not refurb), and it doesn't have physical phone or battery damage- att will replace with no problems for 1 year after original purchase date. You can call and they will mail replacement, or you can take to a replacement center and pick up a new phone.

I bought my phone in Aug, and my only issue has been the shutdown issue, which has gotten progressively worse. I finally called today and my new phone is on its way- no fuss no muss. Wish I had done it sooner

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11