1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    FireFly 3.0/SpeedMod K13E

Default Captivate and Pioneer stereo

So my Pioneer car stereo has a built in usb port. It has the ability to play my ipod touch or iphone through the stereo. What about the captivate? I have set it to everything imaginable. I thought Mass Storage would work best. I haven't tested this since I upgraded my phone to di11i v5.4, as there is nothing but snow and ice outside, so no need to be in my truck. Do you guys think the upgrade will allow it to be a usb media player?

if its gonna work it would probably be on the mass storage mode.
    goodluck

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Depending on the function of the usb port, I do know my sister's Pioneer stereo's usb just supports the iPod via it, if your stereo has an Auxiliary in, you should be able to use your phone via the head phone port. Some decks like Kenwood's usb port will support flash drives to play music through and I bet usb mass storage will work via the captivate. Unfortunately the sad state of car stereos is they usually support iPhods/iPhones mainly and nothing else.

Even my alpine cda 9887 deck, supports iPod/iPhone and I have to get a special cable that will allow auxiliary in to play my zune through it, however, the bluetooth will allow my phone work through it!

HTH,
    Charlie
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM

Well I know that I can plug a thumb drive in and my Pioneer plays it. So I bet Captivate will work.

I have a captivate and a Pioneer DVD/Nav/Bluetooth with a usb in the front. The Unit is a AVH-P3200BT. Yes I can play music with it and get graphics from it etc etc. You just have to make sure you set the phone to Mass Storage and your good. What the Ipod feature does is it allows you to control the Ipod from the headunit, thats all.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM

Great thanks for the info. What does media mode do under usb then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM

Sorry for bringing my old topic back, but didnt want to start a new thread. When it is connected to my stereo, why can the stereo only play the internal sd card? It can see the external one, but not play it. The stereo.shows the external sd card as a folder under sd card, just like it does in my files app. I assume this is a phone problem. If I use my stereo to navigate to external sd, it shows that there are no files. But I have around a gig of music on there. TIA.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM

Well Im bringing an old topic up again. I got a new in dash dvd unit. Same one mentioned above in another post. It now will not get recognized by the stereo since the 2.2 update. Any thoughts?

Delete the pairing on the phone, and try to re-set it up. A kernel change will usually break a Bluetooth pairing, and the upgrade did do a new kernel. If you are just using it as a USB flash drive, then I would make sure to check the SD card settings that it is not set to kies, but USB storage.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM

Its set to mass storage but keeps saying reading format on the stereo. Only since froyo

From working in the car audio industry i think i can safely say that no aftermarket or factory radio will play anything via usb from the phone aside from iphone/ipod. The reason is that there are to many different softwares for android and versions and overlays. I can confirm there is one company testing it out right now with good success but it probably won't be released for another couple months at the soonest.

I would imagine part of the lack of interest is due to new devices tending to support BT audio?

Not so much. By audio is pretty bad. Only advantage is that there are no wires. But quality suffers a decent amount.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM

Umm my old pioneer stereo played phone usb because when set to mass storage it recognjzes it as a usb storage device. Kinda like a thum b drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kassdog View Post
    Not so much. By audio is pretty bad. Only advantage is that there are no wires. But quality suffers a decent amount.
    I had noticed a quality issue when dealing with headphones, but the BT audio coming from my stock Toyota stereo is flawless to my admittedly not flawless ears . I just assumed I had crummy headphones in the past.