1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Default Froyo Update Preparation/FAQ

Please only post questions/advice/issues/discussion about the Froyo update preparation or updating process. I hate having to read through hundreds of posts to find one answer, and Iím sure you do, too. If youíre going to complain about Samsung/AT&T, do it somewhere else, please

We donít know yet if this will be OTA or through keys, so Iíll make this apply to both.

Who can receive an OTA?
    (Mostly stolen from ragnorokxís thread in the Epic forum)

You can install OTA (Over The Air) updates if your phone:
    1) is stock
    2) is rooted
    3) has 3rd party Market apps installed

You cannot install OTA updates if your phone:
    1) has any system apps removed
    2) has a custom ROM
    3) has leaked or unofficial operating system software installed (UCJH7, UCKB1, etc).

But the real question is, why update OTA? I personally have never updated OTA, I always update manually. There are two benefits to this: you will get the update faster if you install it manually, rather than waiting for the update notification on your phone, and there is less of a chance of getting a bad download on your computer than on your phone since on your computer you can verify the download with a MD5 checksum.

I or someone else will always post a manual version of any update that is compatible with modified phones (when/if it becomes available). So no need to go through the hassle of flashing back to a completely stock state.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, Iíll split this into two parts. If you donít need to flash to stock, skip to the second post.

FLASHING TO STOCK

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that the one-click Odin doesn't cooperate with OTAs. I'm searching for an alternative, so I would hold off until tomorrow before doing this. (If you're rooted, I would wait until someone releases a rooted update file anyway, but if you just can't wait, we'll find you a way).
    Edit 2: Pretty much confirmed that you can update through Kies after using Odin. I'm flashing back to stock tomorrow, so I'll confirm then.

(Iím assuming if youíre rooted, you know how to back up everything you want to keep. If not, go to the backup instructions Iím posting below).

First, check your build number (4 digits underneath battery). If it is not 1010, keep reading. If it is, DO NOT USE THESE STEPS, and then refer to thread on XDA. If it is 1008, you either need a jig, a ROM with a download mode option, or you can adb reboot download (still good idea to have the stuff to make a jig, just in case).

STEP 1: Download one-click Odin (you must launch Odin before plugging your phone in).

STEP 2: Power off your phone, and launch download mode by either:
    1. 3-button combo (volume up+down and plug in USB)
    2. adb reboot download (donít power off)
    3. Using a jig.

STEP 3: If you havenít already, plug in your phone. It should appear in the first box in Odin (a few numbers and letters will show up). Click Start, and Odin will flash you back to stock.

DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE UNTIL IT SAYS PASSED (or the phone fully boots). ďBut, but itís taking so longĒ. No. If it hasnít been 15 minutes since it did anything, you havenít waited long enough.

Once the phone is booted, you have a fresh out of the box Captivate. Now move on to post two.
    Last edited by ls377; 02-24-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

PREPARE FOR UPDATE

Backup

If you just flashed with Odin, skip this.

This might seem like a waste of time, but if something goes wrong, you'll thank me.

Back up anything that you don't want to lose. Contacts, pictures, texts, apps that can save data, etc. Cloud or SD card, either works.

Copy everything from your internal SD to your computer. The update won't touch this, but if you have to take a trip to AT&T, you'll probably lose it one way or another. (When restoring, don't just copy everything back; go through and pick you need, and copy it over manually).

Schedule Accordingly

If the update is through Kies, or you do it manually, this doesn't matter. If you get an OTA, however, make sure you can be without use of your phone while it is updating. Otherwise, don't accept it. You can manually do it later.

Make sure your phone has AT LEAST 50% charge. More is better, this is the bare minimum that I would update with. Take your charger to work, and keep it plugged in whenever possible.

How will the update come?

We don't know yet. Could be an OTA, could be through Kies. When I know, you'll know. I'll make another thread with the update methods as soon as they're available.

Keep in mind not everyone gets the update at once. If you do go back to Eclair to get the update, you may be waiting days, a week, or longer before a notification pops up.

POST UPDATE (will be moved to new thread when its created).

My phone sucks after the update. How do I fix this?

These updates are made to be flashed without wiping any data. However, it almost never works perfectly. If something seems off, or your phone is generally more buggy, a factory reset should take care of it (remember when I told you to make backups? You're welcome ). I would always suggest doing this after every update, but its understandable why you wouldn't. If it works fine, congrats. If it doesn't, factory reset.

You've been waiting long enough, now get ready for some Froyo!
    Last edited by ls377; 02-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.

ROM
    CM7

Very excited for this thread. As a complete newb to all this flashing nonsense, this will be very helpful. I have watched the videos by connexion2005, but I'm excited to have the instructions in written form too!

ls377,

The one-click-ODIN posted at XDA, which you linked to, was not eligible for the OTA JF7 update, though it could be done via KIES.

I do not think it is a good idea to recommend that people use one-click-ODIN to prepare for the official Froyo update, until the method has been proven to work.

Just my opinion.

AoN.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by anneoneamouse View Post
    ls377,

The one-click-ODIN posted at XDA, which you linked to, was not eligible for the OTA JF7 update, though it could be done via KIES.

I do not think it is a good idea to recommend that people use one-click-ODIN to prepare for the official Froyo update, until the method has been proven to work.

Just my opinion.

AoN.
    Thanks, I'm looking into it. Do you know if the manual Odin worked?

I have a feeling this is going to be a Kies update anyway (sigh), so this might be a moot point. Unfortunately there's no other way that I know of to go back to complete stock for the update. I'll add a note about this, but we'll have to wait til tomorrow for a better solution.

how long does the 2.2 update using the usb take?Its been an hour now and still downloading!

ROM
    Cognition 4.3

I started downloading it about 13 minutes after you posted and it took about 14 or 15 minutes total, about 11 of that was waiting for the binary files to come down and unzip.