Official Froyo Update Instructions for Samsung Captivate - It's Here!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It's here!!! Looks like its through Kies Mini. Unfortunately, I can't get Kies to recognize my Odined phone ( I used standalone, so one-click should be good), so these directions may or may not work. I'll keep this updated with any issues that arise. Good luck, and post your thoughts/experiences in the thread.

Seems like this is the leaked KB1 update, so if you have that already, I wouldn't waste your time. Also, it seems this will not wipe your phone, so that's good news.

UPDATING FOR WINDOWS (sorry Mac users, no love for you yet).

STEP 1: Download Kies from here. Just update a few minutes ago for Froyo!

STEP 2: Run the .exe file you downloaded. Choose language, agree to terms and let it do its thing.

This is where it gets iffy since I can't get it to work.

STEP 3: Under Setting>Applications>USB Settings and put it in Kies mode. Hit the home button.

STEP 4: Open Kies, and plug in your phone. Kies should recognize your phone, and you can hit the Update Phone button and start the update.

The update is supposedly taking rather long. DON'T FREAK OUT, AND DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE UNTIL IT FULLY BOOTS!!

When it reboots, go into Setting>About Phone and you should see the following:
firmware 2.2
baseband version I897UCKB1
Kernel version 2.6.32.9
Build number FROYO.UCKB1

Congratulations! You have Froyo! Now time to start complaining about Gingerbread lol.

ISSUES:
Some people are complain about the update failing (sometimes multiple times). If this happens, keep trying.
Mixed results with GPS
Z4 root is not working, neither is the update.zip method (new recovery)
Updated hoses your widgets. Not a big deal, just don't be surprised.

Last edited:

X-BerryAddict

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
So far so good, took about 25 mins from start to finish, seems a little "zippier" only problem I seem to be having now is re-rooting with Z4, its been "running" for about 10 mins. Near as I can tell all apps/contacts were kept.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So far so good, took about 25 mins from start to finish, seems a little "zippier" only problem I seem to be having now is re-rooting with Z4, its been "running" for about 10 mins. Near as I can tell all apps/contacts were kept.

Try this and see if it works.
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.7 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App) - xda-developers

Someone said it worked after they installed the Rogers Froyo update, so there's a good chance it'll work for this. Let me know if it works.

Reactions: sitesurfer9

X-BerryAddict

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Update- Z4root no longer works, searching for update or replacement..anyone have any good suggestions?

natedog75

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Brick!!!

:'( Just went through Froyo update with Mini Kies. My phone was rooted. I un-rooted before the update. Update was successful but when the phone rebooted it passed at&t logo and takes a while on galaxy s screen, it thens sits a black screen. Did a battery pull and reboot but no luck. Any suggestions.

Edit: I did not nor have i ever flash a custom ROM. Phone has been stock since i bought it. Only rooted and installed OCLF.

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
:'( Just went through Froyo update with Mini Kies. My phone was rooted. I un-rooted before the update. Update was successful but when the phone rebooted it passed at&t logo and takes a while on galaxy s screen, it thens sits a black screen. Did a battery pull and reboot but no luck. Any suggestions.

Try the flash to stock instructions here, and try it again. Otherwise, make a trip to AT&T.

Reactions: natedog75

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you much. I just was able to do this at work (which is good because I have a Mac at home).

It worked well.

One note though....

I had to kill ADW first to get it to work. I kept getting a message that said there was an app running. Once I killed ADW, that problem went away.

Thank you for the tip ls 377. I'm glad to get this done so quickly.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
:'( Just went through Froyo update with Mini Kies. My phone was rooted. I un-rooted before the update. Update was successful but when the phone rebooted it passed at&t logo and takes a while on galaxy s screen, it thens sits a black screen. Did a battery pull and reboot but no luck. Any suggestions..

I saw that after doing the OneClickLagFix when I did that long ago. You may have to let the thing sit for a while before it will complete what it's doing (I'm talking waiting 15 minutes).

Be patient. (Mine is sitting at that right now also. I'll wait it out.)

EDIT: and it just completed. You may need to wait a bit. Just be patient.

EDIT x2: And remember, the media scanner will probably tie up your phone in the beginning as well. It's probably best to just leave the phone to sit for 10 minutes after everything comes up.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
natedog75,

If the phone goes past the AT&T logo, you can probably get it into download mode, from there use the one-click ODIN to restore the JF6 ROM.

Follow the instructions at XDA for JF6, then pick a ROM based on the BK1 release. It'll at least get your phone functional. Then I'd wait a while until other people work out how to get around offical update of a rooted / non standard ROM.

Hope this helps, consider "thanks" if it does :)

AoN

natedog75

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Trying the waiting game............ As I have to download Odin anyway
Thanks for your guys help

Getting random vibrations so maybe something is happening

Last edited:

bigbot45

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Edit: I did not nor have i ever flash a custom ROM. Phone has been stock since i bought it. Only rooted and installed OCLF.

You just need to wait awhile...mine spent 5-7 minutes on that screen and then the phone came on-line properly. It hosed all of my widgets though.