Captivate, Froyo and WiFi

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Even if you root and don't change the ROM. You can leave it rooted and it will still be like having a stock phone. Then if you need to return it you can unroot. It is a good idea to use titanium back up also.
So far I have not had any problems with wifi. It has connected almost immediately when I hit the icon. If it makes it through a week then maybe it will be ok. Maybe refreshing my router helped. I have not tried connecting to a hotspot yet.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well I am having no luck at all connecting and if I do it is only for a minute. I have done everything that I have done before that worked. I am not in a sleep mode or for it to cut out if the screen closes. It is in Stay awake mode but I am still either not connecting at all or like I said only for a couple of minutes.
The only way I can get it to connect is through the ALL SHARE and that takes about 5 minutes for it to do it. I have tried WIFI Analyzer which usually worked to get things going. I have even tried removing the cache files in the Applications through the settings and thinking of removing all data in certain apps.
I do not want to do a factory reset again because that has not worked 3 times already,,,I am disgusted with this phone at this point. My son has a Verizon Incredible with no problems hooking in to the wifi at the house so it is not my router.

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey Slappy,

I would, but it requires a rooting of the device. Believe it or not, I've been trying so hard not to root my phone because I come from WinMo6.5 and I "rooted" myself to death. I changed OSs in part so I could get out of the rooting business and get into enjoying a more effort-free lifestyle!

Is there a way to "root" for this procedure and then immediately unroot?

Jon
I found if you retry enough times the system deletes the file(all remembered isid's disappear). I too am resisting rooting. When I want to edit root owned files, like the one in the fix, I use ddms from the android sdk. No rooting required.

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Problem is back

This is quite redonkulous. I got a new SIM card while out of town (long story) and now since then, my WiFi is broken again. I tried the WiFi Fxr app which worked before but not this time with the new SIM. GPS has been completely useless since this Froyo "upgrade" for probably half the time and I have to use my wife's Inspire for a reliable GPS. I dont want to get the Inspire because I am trying to wait to see what else AT&T will be getting. Plus, aside from the update issues, i feel like I'm just "paying" for a "better" Froyo build. This is really irritating and I've been trying to fix this for about a week. Don't want / feel i should have to root to fix this. Maybe its inevitable. (rant over):-\

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I am having no luck at all connecting and if I do it is only for a minute.
The timeout sounds like the problem I have. I am guessing the DHCP provided IP goes away because of an expired DHCP lease. It happens when I don't access the network for awhile because I am reading a long web article. I have to pull down the status bar and turn WiFi off, then on to get a new lease. If that "fixes" your problem, you could try increasing the DHCP lease time in your router setup.

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, for any who are interested. I was able to connect at another location but not at home again. This is the order of steps that worked for me to resolve this.

1. Run Fxr Wifi app, dont reboot phone yet like app tells you to (forgot proper name and am not on my phone right now)
2. Reset router (not turn off and on but press "reset" button)
3. Turn off phone while router resetting
4. Turn on phone (router should have finished its process by now)
5. Locate your network in wifi settings
6. Enter wifi passcode

I hope this works for some of y'all. I still have no idea why my phone connects so quickly to other wifi networks (open and residential) but i have to jump through hoops with my own, even after forgetting network, rebooting phone, etc. Oh well. Now to the gps ...

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
mine does it too. its the same problem alot of galaxy tabs have. here is what i did and its very simple. undet wifi, click menu and advanced. enable static ip. but in ur ip address (i put one that no other device can have as the router fills the lower numbers first 192.168.2.100) put in your gateway, dns and all that, which can be located on one of your computers. never had a problem since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
well I tried the static ip and it still didn't work. I took the phone to be replaced and told nothing wrong with it. I tell them it will work for a week and then stop. I'm about to put the phone in a bag with my dogs crap and send it back to them. I'm disgusted and removing froyo to see if it works.

You can't tell me they don't know about this problem and refuse to find a way to fix it. DAM IT ATT Give me a new phone

Fk28

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey all

My wife's Captivate was doing the same thing with our home Wi-Fi. Scanning...authenticating...disconnecting...over and over again. I too have a Galaxy S phone however mine is a Verizon Fascinate. Both phones were doing the same thing only at home and both worked just fine on public Wi-Fi.

Not sure if this will work for everyone else but here is how I solved the problem. My router is a Netgear 2g/5g. The phones are on 2g. I have access control enabled on my router to only allow devices that I specify by MAC address to access the network. I logged into my router and unchecked access control to allow any device that has the proper passphrase to access the network. When I did this both phones immediately responded and connected to the network. Out of curiosity I again trurned access contorl back on and both phones again disconnected from the network. So I again disabled access control and both phones responded to the network.

Funny thing is after a period of time (maybe 5 minutes) I once more turned access control back on and logged off my router and both phones continued to work just fine. Not sure if they "learned" something or not but both phones are now working great.

This does not seem to be an AT&T problem or a Captivate problem per say as it also affected my Verizon Fascinate. It does however seem to be a problem to at least these two Galaxy S phones after upgrading to 2.2.

Hope this helps.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It ain't my router cause my sons Verizon phone works. Wife Blackjack works. Daughters iphone works. Only one that don't is my captivate. I have friends having the same problem with their captivate after upgrade. That's on their own routers or where they try hooking up.

Now my screen isn't responding it freezes. My Email just keeps trying to load and my keyboard stays showing when it should disappear after i chose a website to load.
Phone is getting really slow and i have cleared everything removed battery and done two factory reset. It speeds up for a day or two, then acts up again. The funny thing is my gps works fine picks up 7 satellites but the nav program is slow or freezes. Fuk it i have had it with all this technology crap. Give me a regular phone and i will use my laptop for the other stuff. Ill save money on having to have a data plan and deal with a dump phone. Since this stuff isn't right i've got use to waiting to see what my email is and people could call me instead of sending me a message.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
So I woke up about an hour ago and my phone is on with wifi connected. Yea I know slept in cause I been feeling sick since they operated on my back again. Anyway I was afraid to turn the wifi off, but I did and reconnected almost instantaneous when I tried.
Wonder if the phone knew I was about to use it for target practice. Not sure if I am still having the other problems that started. The only thing I did was switch from the Swype to Android keyboard. It was taking forever for the word to pop on the screen. Going to try using it now and see.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
OK was working fine till I went back to Swype. That was yesterday and it is not finding my wifi again and starting to lock up when changing apps and typing.

BigG413

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am having issues with my Wifi but seems to be a little different then everyone else. Currently it states it is connected to my Wifi but I have no internet. Check that WEP key was correct and it is, but still nothing.

On a side note also, when I updated to Froyo 2.2, I was using my Acer netbook. Since the update, neither my phone or netbook connect to my Linksys router. But my PS3, Wii, and wife's Acer netbook connect no problem!

Anyone have any idea on where I can start looking for issues?

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues with my Wifi but seems to be a little different then everyone else. Currently it states it is connected to my Wifi but I have no internet. Check that WEP key was correct and it is, but still nothing.

On a side note also, when I updated to Froyo 2.2, I was using my Acer netbook. Since the update, neither my phone or netbook connect to my Linksys router. But my PS3, Wii, and wife's Acer netbook connect no problem!

Anyone have any idea on where I can start looking for issues?

I'm not sure why it would do that. It is only wifi the internet doesn't work with the phone? Try using wifi analyzer and see if that helps find a connection. I don't know about notebooks. Someone asked me if I am using att hotspots or where. I'm not but they keep showing has loading according to advanced task manager. Also asked if I tried the tethering which I haven't. Not sure if it has something to do with any problems.
It seems my problem has to do with swype cause when I use it my wifi screws up.plus my phone slows down and force closes on programs. Also my email acts up either no loading or if it does phone freezes. Stop using swype and all is working without problems.

chickmag11

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Out of nowhere, started experiencing the "acquiring IP address" forever problem at home. PCs, iPhone, Cisco VOIP phone, wife's HTC Inspire could all connect. Rebooting everything n-different ways would not fix problem.Forgetting wifi connection had no effect.

I have 2 different wifi networks at home - I could connect to the second one no problem. (Nothing had changed on my wifi networks...)

Ran FXR last night. Seems to have fixed problem, at least for now...

(Stock, unrooted, Android 2.2)

penndrew58

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I keep fighting with this and have found the ONLY solution is to make changes to your router - increase the Maximum Number of DHCP Users. When this number gets too high for comfort, reduce it to the minimum amount of Users required. Save. Then increase by 2. It connects right away. Not a guru, but it works ... none of the Android apps work!!!

Ak S 4all

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Today the same symptoms Fk28 described for his wife appeared on my Captivate. I had been using Froyo for a couple of months with no issues. I read the rest of the thread and was set to follow some of the suggestions.

However, I tried something simpler first. I recalled that my router and phone both supported WPS (WiFi Protected Set-up). I used WPS's auto-configuration, which was straightforward, despite my lack of experience with it. Voila! My WiFi connected was reborn immediately. I have no long term results to report, only a couple of hours, but will get back if things degrade again.

FYI: My wife has a pre-Froyo Captivate and had none of my problems.

BigG413

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Update for "Wifi connected but no Internet access"

Well working backwards to see if was possibly an app installed or something, I figured out my phone was running slow and having these issues while I was running LauncherPro.

Unistalled and Reinstalled, and all problems are fixed, well at least I thought. Now at work, I am getting the "Obtaining IP Address". I will be again trying to unistall LauncherPro and see what happens!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae