Can't connect to Kies for Froyo update

uny3ilding

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
greetings everyone.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this problem during their 2.2 update process: Kies mini does not detect my phone. I set my phone to Kies+debugging, then plug in the USB with Kies mini running. My phone will detect the connection, and the home screen will change to the USB connection display and say ?Connected!?. However, my computer will not show any signs of acknowledging the new connection and will sit idly.

So far I?ve tried reinstalling Kies and drivers, doing a Factory Reset of my phone (twice). Nothing has changed/helped.

grrrrr

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You aren't experiencing the same problems I was having, but I uninstalled Internet Explorer and it worked like a charm. Don't know if you want to try that, but like I said, it worked for me. Might be worth a shot, especially if you are like me and don't even use IE anyway.

hannibaal

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I start the Keis mini, connect my phone and select the Keis option. My phone initalizes and says connected. However the Keis mini does not acknowledge the phone being connected to the USB cord. I have tried on 2 different machines with the same results. One machine is Win 7 Ultimate the other is Win 7 Home Prem. Any ideas on what to do next?

uny3ilding

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I read through the threads #2 mentioned and didn't get them to work.. I think my next step is to try to find another PC (maybe XP?) to do a fresh install of Kies. I think the issue might be an unsuccessful driver install? will investigate and update soon

btw, I'm trying to do the update with a Win7 x86 laptop... I might try the IE trick but I think it's more for x64 users? I've also heard switching USB ports might help since power supply to usb ports might vary in laptops?

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this will work but try this. Mine wouldn't recognize my phone until I reverted back to the original launcher. I was running Launcher Pro and the Kies could not find my phone. The moment I reverted back to TW Launcher it saw my phone and allowed me to update, which took all of 4-5min..I have windows 7, Explorer 64bit..no problems..try removing/force stop anything running over the original launcher. Hope it helps.

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My problem when installing a DesignGears ROM awhile back was using the USB ports on the front of my Windows 7 64-bit PC. When someone suggested using the rear ports, it worked like a charm. Worth a shot, unless that is where you were already plugging in. Good luck, this update turned my Captivate into a very fast phone, rivaling the experience of the awesome little HTC Aria I tried for a few weeks. HTC makes some quality gear out of the box. I'm waiting for AT&T to get a 4" HTC with a physical keyboard, then my stepdaughter will be in heaven, as she gets my Captivate (she will not put her Mom's Captivate down!!).

uny3ilding

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
progress is painfully slow

Update on my end:

Uninstalled all drivers and Kies, then reinstalled. Kies now recognizes my phone, and shows the button to click to perform the update. HOWEVER, Kies just pops back to the same window prompting me to begin the update.

Seems like there is literally an obstacle at every stage of this update process :mad:

sltayl01

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey...not sure if you've gotten an answer for this yet, but, go to your menu key, then select "applications" then go to "development" and select "usb debugging." Then, you plug the phone into your pc via the usb cord. It should register and allow you to run the update using the kies mini software. I hope this helps...I was having the same problem as you were...good luck!

uny3ilding

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks sltayl01, I tried everything after i remembered to turn on USB Debugging, and it worked!

For everyone else, I think the key is to plug in to a different USB port? (i had to use a port on my USB dock....???). If you're still having trouble, uninstall all of your drivers and software and try again?

Everything was finished within 5 minutes, it seemed so anticlimatic :p

kl7j

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too.
I tried a few times then caught a screen message, apps have to be stopped before Kies.

I went to settings, applicatins, and stopped all running apps. Plugged it in to the PC and after about a minute Kies had linked and was working.

I had tried to link to an XP machine and a Vista machine before seeing that short phone screen notice for a few seconds and all attempts failed. Now with all apps and services stopped under settings, applications, stopping every app, then plugging it in, it works.

atxsnake

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
My problem when installing a DesignGears ROM awhile back was using the USB ports on the front of my Windows 7 64-bit PC. When someone suggested using the rear ports, it worked like a charm. Worth a shot, unless that is where you were already plugging in. Good luck, this update turned my Captivate into a very fast phone, rivaling the experience of the awesome little HTC Aria I tried for a few weeks. HTC makes some quality gear out of the box. I'm waiting for AT&T to get a 4" HTC with a physical keyboard, then my stepdaughter will be in heaven, as she gets my Captivate (she will not put her Mom's Captivate down!!).

This also worked for me. Ensuring you are using a USB 2.0 port seems to fix things for some folks.