"Unrecognized Device" since Kies mini install and Froyo update

hjanock

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi - been using / suffering with Captivate since August '10.

"Upgraded" phone to Froyo yesterday. Took hours, as I grappled with Kies mini recognizing the phone, then the computer recognizing the phone. After switching USB cords, I finally got everything to work, successfully installing Froyo on my Cappy.

Prior to installing Kies mini and Froyo, my WIN7 64bit Dell had zero problem installing the device driver when plugging the phone into the computer. Since Kies mini, something has happened to the device drivers, as now when I plug the phone in, I get a message that the phone is an "Unknown device". I've restarted both the computer and the phone, tried to have windows fix the problem - I'm now out of ideas.

Thanks for your time.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi - been using / suffering with Captivate since August '10.

"Upgraded" phone to Froyo yesterday. Took hours, as I grappled with Kies mini recognizing the phone, then the computer recognizing the phone. After switching USB cords, I finally got everything to work, successfully installing Froyo on my Cappy.

Prior to installing Kies mini and Froyo, my WIN7 64bit Dell had zero problem installing the device driver when plugging the phone into the computer. Since Kies mini, something has happened to the device drivers, as now when I plug the phone in, I get a message that the phone is an "Unknown device". I've restarted both the computer and the phone, tried to have windows fix the problem - I'm now out of ideas.

Thanks for your time.

hello hjanock and welcome to android central..

try the following
settings>applications>developmet>check off debugging

also
settings>applications>USB settings>USB storage device

hjanock

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, yes and no. I think I've downloaded them, but I'm not certain where to install them or if they are the correct ones - reeks of newbie-ness, I know...

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You should just be able to click them and it'll run the wizard. Don't even worry about uninstalling.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the 64 bit drivers and not the 32. Try manually uninstalling them and then reinstalling (look in the directory that the wizard wants to install them to).

Have you tried another computer? Sometimes Kies just won't work on a computer.

hjanock

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
"Unrecognized Device" since Kies mini install and Froyo update - fixed

Figured out the problem - the phone/computer seems to no longer like the mini usb cable that came with the phone. Tried my Kindle cable, and voila - connected without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21