I got scammed! Bought a phone that only turns on when plugged in =(

jpra923

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Any law students in the house? Just wondering what kind of legal actions I can take towards this guy in case Samsung says that can't repair my phone.

samurai4321

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I kind of have a similar problem with my Captivate. I've had my phone for about 5 months now and just recently started acting up. Here are my problems:
-when I shut off the phone it will not turn on without the charger plugged into it (similar to OP)
-whenever I charge my phone it thinks it's being plugged into a pc so I just leave it on mass storage mode
-still thinks it's charging after I unplug it
-just now it started going crazy thinking it was plugged into a pc after it was unplugged from the charger. It kept going back and fourth from usb mode to nothing than back to usb mode non stop. It would stop after I plug it in again.
I'm going to assume that it's something with my micro usb port on the phone. Any suggestions? Should I just get a new phone through insurance? (sorry for stealing the thread lol)

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I kind of have a similar problem with my Captivate. I've had my phone for about 5 months now and just recently started acting up. Here are my problems:
-when I shut off the phone it will not turn on without the charger plugged into it (similar to OP)
-whenever I charge my phone it thinks it's being plugged into a pc so I just leave it on mass storage mode
-still thinks it's charging after I unplug it
-just now it started going crazy thinking it was plugged into a pc after it was unplugged from the charger. It kept going back and fourth from usb mode to nothing than back to usb mode non stop. It would stop after I plug it in again.
I'm going to assume that it's something with my micro usb port on the phone. Any suggestions? Should I just get a new phone through insurance? (sorry for stealing the thread lol)

Just get a new phone if you have insurance. Definitely sounds like a hardware problem.

jpra923

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well....good news and bad news. The good news is I am able to start the phone w/o the need of it being plugged in! The bad news is once I connect it to my PC all hell breaks loose!

When I disconnect the phone from the PC, the phone does not recognize that i've removed it. The "USB Connected" sign flashes. So then I do a shutdown and at this point it's reverted back to it's dumb self and won't restart, even when plugged in! It will restart if I leave the battery out for about 30 seconds. But then on some restarts, It still thinks the USB is connected...wth! At one point the "Connect USB Storage" screen kept flashing making my phone unusable.

I researched online and found smiliar issues here:
The "USB Connected" notification stays on after the USB is disconnected - Android Forums

None of which helped me. I've since called Samsung.

Back to the drawing board!

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Are you disconnecting while still in connected mode? Press your home key, the little house at the bottom, before unplugging.

The same thing should be done if you're just charging and you're placed in mass storage mode or if you're set up for media or kies or choice, just press the home key to enter charging.

You'll go to the idle screen, aka the home screen, rather than the PC modes.

HTH

xamyne

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: I got scammed! Bought a phone that only turns on when plugge

I know this is an old post but it may help someone who stumbles upon this with the same problem. My phone started doing this to me I got frustrated and have been using a go phone as backup. It only turned on plugged in and would sometimes randomly shut off. There would be a grey bar and a think symbol that would randomly flash. Used my wives captivate battery and same thing. Ended up taking my whole phone apart (what was the hurt anyway) and found the chip in the USB port was making the battery short out. I used a small flat head screwdriver to pry the chip back to the middle of the port. Now Ive been using it ever since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan