Amazon App Store - Turning off Updates

atxsnake

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Recently used Side Load Wonder Machine to do the Amazon App store load. No major issues there really. Now I'm getting an update notification in the status bar. Since you can't install the update....it never goes away (or at least comes back quickly).

Anyone able to disable updates for this? Or at least turn off the status bar notification? Perhaps on amazon.com somewhere?

I know you can avoid this by continually redoing the app load (with the latest version), but that will be a pain.

Any tips would be great.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted(1), and have "install from unknown sources"(2) enabled, and was able to apply the update.

(1), (2) See the XDA Captivate forum for details.

Hope this helps, consider pressing thanks if it did- it makes me smile.

AoN

atxsnake

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Should have mentioned...this is not a rooted phone and I do not plan to root it. (corporate business phone) Used the side loader with PC to do the install. I'll check the XDA forum and see if they have any solutions for non-rooted.

Thanks for the reply.

plwalsh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Same Issue

I did the exact same thing, using the Side Load Wonder Machine, with no root; and am now having the same problem with the update. The only thing I could think of was just requesting the download again by entering my email address on the Amazon site. It's not like its much more work since I still have to use the Wonder Machine to install any app I download from the Appstore anyway, as it gives me the "install blocked" message after every download. Same for you, right?

- Pat

atxsnake

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Same as mine. You get the "blocked" message for the update, like you would for the app store install. Like you said, we can use the wonder machine to do the update. I just hope they don't update it every other day! I thought there might be a setting that I missed. I didn't see any options within the app store.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Rooting and enabling non market apps was something I avoided for awhile, but for situations like this-and a few apps that are quite useful-rooting is such a no brainer and simple, anybody using the amazon app store should just do it. I used super one click 1.7 and it took about 30 seconds.

plwalsh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Rooting and enabling non market apps was something I avoided for awhile, but for situations like this-and a few apps that are quite useful-rooting is such a no brainer and simple, anybody using the amazon app store should just do it. I used super one click 1.7 and it took about 30 seconds.

Once you root, will you automatically be able to sideload non-market apps, or will you just then be able to check the "Unknown Sources" box in the settings?

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Once you root, will you automatically be able to sideload non-market apps, or will you just then be able to check the "Unknown Sources" box in the settings?

That "unknown sources" option never shows as far as i can remember...just enable non market apps with super one click is what i did and it works fine. You have to root...reboot..enable non market..reboot

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Well once you root, you have to alter a a settings db file with sqlite to enable non market apps which the option never shows up. Your best bet is to either run a custom rom like cognition, phoenix ultimate or supernova! I have ran all three and I prefer phoenix ultimate!

Hth,
Charlie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk