Disable 3G

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a Samsung Captive for a week now, my "1st" Android device. (I put first in quote because I actually used an LG Optimus V for 6 days, but always at home over Wi-Fi because the service never worked, so I consider that the "pilot" episode and this the "first" episode, if you will.) I've learned a lot about it, but one thing I still don't have full clarity on--disabling 3G.

I did search & find description of different apps that were supposed to do this, when I tried them I couldn't figure them out. Today I read about Curvefish and Widgesoid. I recall trying out Widgesoid but not being able to understand it. I haven't tried Curvefish.

In the meantime, I found this link which tell you how to do it yourself manually, which goes as follows:

1. Open the Phone app.

2. Dial *#*#197328640#*#*

3. A menu will appear where you can choose Debug Screen (1).

4. Select Phone Control (8).

5. Select UE State Control (4).

6. Choose Change RAT to GSM (3) if you wish to utilize a 2G connection. To enable 3G, follow steps 1-5 and select Change RAT to WCDMA (2) (if doing the 2nd, I found you need to reboot the phone too).

I tried that, and it seems to work, and my battery sure seems to last a lot longer.

Is that the "proper" way to do this? It seems to work for me. (I saved the directions as a memo so I can always pull them back up without needing to re-search and/or go online.)

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're on Froyo you will find a 3G data on/off toggle under Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile networks.

Sent by a little green robot

mdoyal1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
In the android market search for "Smoda Widget". This is what I used to use and it works very well. One thing about it though is that you have to turn your WiFi off first to make sure that 3G if off properly (you'd know when it is). Also if you turn your phone off and back on your 3G will be turned on and you have to turn it back off when you don't want it on.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
samservemode App in market

I have been using a Samsung Captive for a week now, my "1st" Android device. (I put first in quote because I actually used an LG Optimus V for 6 days, but always at home over Wi-Fi because the service never worked, so I consider that the "pilot" episode and this the "first" episode, if you will.) I've learned a lot about it, but one thing I still don't have full clarity on--disabling 3G.

I did search & find description of different apps that were supposed to do this, when I tried them I couldn't figure them out. Today I read about Curvefish and Widgesoid. I recall trying out Widgesoid but not being able to understand it. I haven't tried Curvefish.

In the meantime, I found this link which tell you how to do it yourself manually, which goes as follows:

1. Open the Phone app.

2. Dial *#*#197328640#*#*

3. A menu will appear where you can choose Debug Screen (1).

4. Select Phone Control (8).

5. Select UE State Control (4).

6. Choose Change RAT to GSM (3) if you wish to utilize a 2G connection. To enable 3G, follow steps 1-5 and select Change RAT to WCDMA (2) (if doing the 2nd, I found you need to reboot the phone too).

I tried that, and it seems to work, and my battery sure seems to last a lot longer.

Is that the "proper" way to do this? It seems to work for me. (I saved the directions as a memo so I can always pull them back up without needing to re-search and/or go online.)

This is the best way I have found. I downloaded samservemode (SSM) in the market and it takes you directly to the service menu without having to put the key strokes in saving you a bit of time. I have tried the other widgets but this works the best for me.