ATT Mobile Backup

Red Barchetta

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So I just recently got my Captivate, my first smartphone. I'm apparently paying $1.99/month for "Mobile Backup" and I even got a message from ATT saying I've paid for Mobile Backup but haven't yet synced my data, and that I should look in my "apps and games" folder and click on Mobile Backup.

Problem is, I don't have Mobile Backup in my apps, or anywhere for that matter that I can see.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if perhaps Mobile Backup is not compatible with the Captivate...

Thank you from a total newbie.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would call AT&T to find out exactly what "mobile backup" covers for $1.99/mo. I haven't yet looked at my current AT&T bill but I've never had this charge on previous bills nor an option to have the service. AT&T has a no charge phone contacts backup unless this is now being charged for.

There are numerous free backup services (apps in the Marketplace & a corresponding download for your PC). This is not a service you should be paying for.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
An interesting thread this is . . .

I used ATT Mobile Backup with my HTC Fuze but when I upgraded to my HTC Inspire last February 14, I was told by at least two phone reps that the Inspire is not supported by ATT Mob Backup. One rep told me he would cancel my subscription to the backup service.

My bills, for the past 6.5 months, have included the $1.99 backup service fee; in fact, one month I was DOUBLE-billed for it.

Until today, I've not been able to get the service off my bill OR get reimbursed for the months billed since February that I couldn't use it. I was told, prior to today, that the backup service isn't provided by ATT and ATT couldn't do anything to help me with a refund.

After reading this thread today I decided ATT absolutely cannot get away with this reckless billing; the rep I spoke with today did credit my account for the months since February and also gave me a $25 courtesy credit for my "trouble." YAY!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear it. Sometimes you need to make your wheels squeak to get what is owed.

So long as you make sure that your contacts are saved with your gmail, not on the phone... you can never lose them. If you wanted to backup your app data however, that gets a little more complicated (root) to do it properly. At least make sure your contacts are syncing to gmail, and you can humpty dumpty yourself if you need to.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
if you got this figured out, and still want a backup option, i would suggest lookout... it's free :)

if you don't want backup at all, then I have just posted a completely useless post :p

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Since I don't do google except as my default search engine, I definitely plan to use either lookout or mcafee mobile security (whichever I ultimately decide on) to back up contacts.

BTW, if I choose to go with lookout's free version to see how I like it, can I back up contacts (with the free version)?

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Since I don't do google except as my default search engine, I definitely plan to use either lookout or mcafee mobile security (whichever I ultimately decide on) to back up contacts.

BTW, if I choose to go with lookout's free version to see how I like it, can I back up contacts (with the free version)?

yes, lookout will backup your pictures, contacts, and calls (i don't backup pictures and calls, though), as well as scan your apps for malware and locate your phone in case you lose it. With premium, you can remote lock and wipe your device, protect against phishing, etc. with the safe browsing feature, have enhanced backup, and privacy protection with privacy advisor

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
yes, lookout will backup your pictures, contacts, and calls (i don't backup pictures and calls, though), as well as scan your apps for malware and locate your phone in case you lose it. With premium, you can remote lock and wipe your device, protect against phishing, etc. with the safe browsing feature, have enhanced backup, and privacy protection with privacy advisor

Have you used lookout on a tablet as well as a cell phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad