Update for Sideloding: Anyone got it yet?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/att-pushing-updates-enable-sideloading-older-phones

[NOTE]Typical update stuff:

If you're rooted, you probably won't have it pushed (if you're rooted, you probably don't care :p). If it's important to you, just unroot and check for updates.

To check for updates, go to settings>about phone>check for system updates.

Don't worry about wiping anything, it SHOULD be only updating one app. [/NOTE]

I'm assuming it's OTA, since it's basically just updating the Settings.apk. Anyone got it yet?

(Oh yeah, and if you can, throw up a screenie)

MDPuckett84

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Nothing here either. I noticed the guys on the Inspire forum saying that the option just showed up on their phone with out a notification, so that's what I'm keeping an eye out for.

liquid64

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so apparently, the "update" happened without me even knowing. I was able to install the amazon app store's apk file without any issue.

The strange thing is, even after a reboot, the "unknown sources", that I am used to seeing under "Applications" is not there.

I have a captivate, running I897UCKB1 (froyo), unrooted.

And I am located in Western Kentucky, if anyone is interested.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm figuring that if you're rooted the update won't happen..but as a previous poster said..it really doesn't matter unless it screws it up somehow

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I was in MyFiles looking at the download directory and I spotted the siriusxm.apk I had downloaded from siriusxm.com/android a long time ago. I tapped the apk file and it installed! It seems AT&T went from never side loading to always allow side loading because I have no option to disable 3rd party apps.

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
att gets stranger and stranger......lol

i'll have to go home and check my wife's phone to see if hers does this.

ebandroidconvert

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I did sometime. I tried to install an app I previously downloaded but it wouldn't sideload. I've been in Dallas since Sunday, 5/15 and it now works. It didn't work before I left St Louis last Sunday. YAY!!!

wreckit72

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
For all those who got the update, is the option now in the settings?

The only way you will know that you have it is to try and download the Amazon App Store or something from another source. It said unable to download when I tried last night but it downloaded and installed when I tried this morning.

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify does this update do away with that annoying message about unable to install apps not on the android market?

Sent from my extremely awesome Captivate.

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Funny, my gf just tried it and it doesn't work yet for her. The install of the Amazon app store was still blocked. I guess the update may still be rolling out.

btw: we tried 'update software', but no updates available.

killingwthasmile

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just so everyone knows it won't come as an actual update. It's an OTA change that you won't even notice. I randomly got the update for my installer sometime on Wednesday. I checked in the morning at 6 and I didn't have it, but by 12:48 the same day i did have it.

Just have to be patient. It will come but it won't tell you that it's been updated.