Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can't change USB settings

    This just started today....I cant change USB setting or place my cappy into debugging mode So this means I cant reflash any new roms since I can't go into debug mode to connect to my computer...Hell even worse is I have a iMac so that makes it even harder! Argh! It was rooted when I bought it and there are still some files on the SD card that look like the files used to root..like Untitled.zip, clockworkmod, and Galaxy_S_Unlock...so is there any way to fix this just by handset alone?? Please help..I am very new to droid and am frustrated as hell that I can't easily sync with my computer...I don't want to go back to my iphone 4 but I may have to
  2. #2  
    pittsm's Avatar

    Posts
    285 Posts
    ROM
    Serendipity VII

    Default

    not sure on the exact fix here, but you should have posted this in the captivate rooting section. you'd get more answers.
  3. #3  
    konazxiii's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    ROM
    Ultimatum 4.0.3

    Default

    Not sure how to "make" it clickable for you but I'm trying to think of a short way around.

    this isn't so short but I'm still on my first cup-o-coffee lol.

    You could apply an Clockworkmod update.zip that will allow you to get into recovery where you can install a custom (or stock) ROM and that will give you a fresh start.

    First back up everything on your phone to your computer that's important to you as you will lose it. Then do a Master Clear/Factory Data Reset.

    After backup and master clear is done you could download the file from the I've included, along with the custom ROM of your choice, and you MUST rename it to say "update" (update.zip). Then reboot your phone into what I assume is stock recovery, select "install package" (you'll probably have to do that step twice in a row before it works). Once you get the green Clockwork Recovery screen select "install zip from sdcard" then select "choose zip from sdcard" and select the ROM you loaded with the update.zip.

    After installing the new ROM (doesn't matter if it's stock or custom) I'd do another master clear just to be sure.

    With this file you do not need to be rooted or in debug mode for it to get you to Clockwork recovery.

    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Thanks for the response but the first problem is that since it won't go into debug mode I can not back up to my computer. It won't recognize my phone at all. Not even in DoubleTwist due to the fact that it stays on "Samsung Kies" selection. But even if I have to lose everything I won't mind as I've only had it for 2 weeks and I can write down all my downloaded apps. Second;y, are you saying all the recovery can be done from the captivate itself with no need for my computer? If so THAT is what I needed. Now the SD card already has ClockworkMod and Update.zip on it...can I just use that instead of having to download another? Of do you think that one is corrupted? I would love to upgrade to 2.2 if it is possible to do so by device only rather than using a computer since I only own Mac's. So then can I download a custom ROM for 2.2 and just rename it update.zip? I can transfer files to my phone by bluetooth if i need to do anything to edit them on my computer first, as I can also email files to my computer from my device. So the file link you included, what is that if it is not a ROM?
  5. #5  
    konazxiii's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    ROM
    Ultimatum 4.0.3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muniyaz82 View Post
    Thanks for the response but the first problem is that since it won't go into debug mode I can not back up to my computer. It won't recognize my phone at all. Not even in DoubleTwist due to the fact that it stays on "Samsung Kies" selection. But even if I have to lose everything I won't mind as I've only had it for 2 weeks and I can write down all my downloaded apps.
    Ah, right. Do you have an external SD? If you do, you can download an app like Root Explorer from the market and back up all important files to the external SD w/o ever mounting to a computer. It's slightly tedious and a little slow so keep that in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by muniyaz82 View Post
    Second;y, are you saying all the recovery can be done from the captivate itself with no need for my computer? If so THAT is what I needed. Now the SD card already has ClockworkMod and Update.zip on it...can I just use that instead of having to download another? Of do you think that one is corrupted?
    Yes, Clockwork recovery is the main/only way to flash new ROMs w/o using a computer with Odin. there are options like Wifi File Explorer that will let you transfer file to and from your internal SD without a USB cable. Look into something like that as a solution to get the necessary files to the internal SD.

    Also ClockworkMod IS your update.zip. Meaning your ROM could be named whatever as you'll be able to select it manually after the update.zip (CWM) is installed.

    Quote Originally Posted by muniyaz82 View Post
    I would love to upgrade to 2.2 if it is possible to do so by device only rather than using a computer since I only own Mac's. So then can I download a custom ROM for 2.2 and just rename it update.zip? I can transfer files to my phone by bluetooth if i need to do anything to edit them on my computer first, as I can also email files to my computer from my device. So the file link you included, what is that if it is not a ROM?
    If this was me, my main concern would really just to flash anything that will work right away as a stop-gap until you can flash a stock 2.1 with Odin to get a clean start. As soon as you flash anything go straight to debug menu and see if it works for you- if so, the hard parts over.

    Going to 2.2 after reinstalling stock is fairly simple (2.3 slightly more complex- I recommended thorough research before flashing 2.3). Again, the main thing I'm thinking, for now, is just getting you a fresh start so you can flash whatever you want from there.

    The hardest part about helping you, for me, is I just don't know the "limitations" of Macs and Odin and Android.

    I think thread may be of some use to you for returning to stock w/o USB and Odin -
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Yes your advice helped me out! I really appreciate people helping out the newbies lol

    Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk Pro
  7. #7  

    Default

    hmmm strange
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    What is strange?

    Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk Pro

Posting Permissions

B