Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Accelerometer not working

Hey guys, I have a question. My accelerometer stopped working and it is not a settings issue. My question is could the physical component actally break down or couuld it be a software issue? I am currently running Cognition 4.5.3 and it was running fine till yesterday I have also tried to reboot the phone with no luck. Let me know if you guys need any more info.

Thanks

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I'm sure it could have failed, like any hardware component. I'd Odin back to stock, and see if it works there. If not, time for a warranty claim.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Infused

Well be damned if I remember where itis, but I'm pretty sure there is a sensor testing app or setting....i had to test mine not too long ago and was able to reset it (would not return from landscape, almost like non-reoriened kernel). I will try to find it

Default Accelerometer not working *FIX*

I had the exact same problem with my Captivate which, at the time - I was running Serendipity 6.4. My accelerometer just STOPPED working quite randomly and for no good reason. I scoured forums and more forums and used MANY different sensor reading apps and other apps that would 'configure' the accelerometer/g-sensor.... the ONLY fix I discovered for my problem was a factory reset. I just reset my device & reflashed Serendipity and that took care of the problem. Of all the posts on all the forums I read - no one quite seemed to know WHAT exactly the problem was. I didn't think it was the ROM. But, the only way to restore it's functionality was to do a reset and use Titanium Backup to restore all of my apps (but NOT system data, just in case the problem was caused by any system data/settings) I am now running Serendipity VII with the Serendipity VII #3.0 kernel and my acclerometer works just fine now.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Infused

Quote Originally Posted by t3chn0s1s View Post
    I had the exact same problem with my Captivate which, at the time - I was running Serendipity 6.4. My accelerometer just STOPPED working quite randomly and for no good reason. I scoured forums and more forums and used MANY different sensor reading apps and other apps that would 'configure' the accelerometer/g-sensor.... the ONLY fix I discovered for my problem was a factory reset. I just reset my device & reflashed Serendipity and that took care of the problem. Of all the posts on all the forums I read - no one quite seemed to know WHAT exactly the problem was. I didn't think it was the ROM. But, the only way to restore it's functionality was to do a reset and use Titanium Backup to restore all of my apps (but NOT system data, just in case the problem was caused by any system data/settings) I am now running Serendipity VII with the Serendipity VII #3.0 kernel and my acclerometer works just fine now.
    I was also on Serendipity 6.4, but did not have to reset and reflash. I still haven't found the exact page again yet, but there is a set of steps that include deleting some data file. Sorry I can't find the page I am looking for yet.
    Goodbye Captivate, Hello Infuse 4G
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Infused

Have you tried this yet: Try calibrating (settings, display, horizontal calibration).

Default Re: Accelerometer not working

This has happened to me twice now where various sensors stop reporting data. Using a sensors test app, it shows that there is no data being received for my Light Sensor and accelerometer. Other sensors like proximity still work though. Currently I'm using Serendipity 6.3. Last time this happened was long ago on a different ROM, possibly stock. Doing a factory last time was the only way I found to fix it. @drs155 do you have any other clues on an alternative solution? Was the solution Serendipity specific?

Update: I think I found the post. This fixed my accelerometers, magnetic compass, and my light sensor. It involves deleting a file and then running a program from a root shell.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=13
    Last edited by penguin359; 06-28-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Fix for problem added
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Infused

Quote Originally Posted by penguin359 View Post
    I think I found the post. This fixed my accelerometers and my magnetic compass, but my light sensors still doesn't register. Have not tried rebooting yet though.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [q] sgs automatic screen rotation is not working
    That's exactly the one I meant. It worked great for me. Good find.

I found the same problem and I did the following and it fixed instantly and now working like champ.

In Ice Cream Sandwich
    Go to Setting > Display > Accelerometer coordinate system > check 'Default coordinate system'

Hope it helps.

Haris