Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: For those with grandfathered data plans..

I tried to buy a Galaxy Note 2 yesterday and AT&T said my current data plan, $30 Unlimited Data, was NOT compatible with the Galaxy Note 2.
    My guess is because of the HIGH data use associated with it. (That AND AT&T trying to bully us into getting out of our Grandfathered Plans.)
    I was however able to get a Galaxy S3 which so far I LOVE.
    I thought I wanted a phablet (phone/tablet) because I use my phone MORE as a internet device than a phone. The 4.8" screen vs the 5.5" is the deal-breaker for me. When I found out I'd have to pay an additional $20 a month and be limited to a 3GB plan, I went with the Galaxy S3 and kept my $30 Unlimited Data Plan.

I had a lot of the same issues in my upgrade. The rep at Walmart switched me to a $50/Month 3GB plan without my permission. I told him I just wanted to upgrade the phone and not the voice/data plans. I called AT&T as soon as I noticed and they gave me a $10 credit and put in a request to have my Unlimited Data reinstated. Unfortunately it will take 10 days for this to go through but AT&T is letting me use the 3GB Data Plan at NO charge until my Unlimited Plan is reinstated.

I had the SAME issue two years ago when I upgraded from my iPhone 3g to my Samsung Captivate at Radio Shack. The rep there put me on a limited plan even after telling her I didn't want my plan touched. I went to a different Radio Shack because I was TICKED beyond belief at this woman. The guy at that Radio Shack told me to call AT&T and tell them to roll back my account to my old plan. He said "If they give you any trouble, tell them you are cancelling your account. By law they HAVE to switch you back to your old plan if you are unhappy." I followed his advice and within 10min my Unlimited Data was reinstated. AT&T told me they would only be able to do this ONCE per line... APPARENTLY a lie since they did it again yesterday! LoL

I upgraded yesterday and kept my unlimited data plan.

I bought the phone outright, without an upgrade, and still kept my unlimited data plan. I double-checked to make sure on the AT&T website as well. I'm all about keeping that plan.

EDIT: I bought it from an AT&T corporate store, not Walmart, Best Buy, In Touch, or anything like that.

Yes, it is more of a hassle at other stores. My wife went through this at walmart with her iPhone.
    I have gone through ATT with my Galaxy S2/Skyrocket/Galaxy S3 with NO problems. Still have ever never hit the throttle limit either...

Surely I will start to hit that when they pull a Verizon and start forcing the switch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I had no issues what so ever retaining my unlimited plan at the AT&T store....

This is an update to my previous post.... AT&T told me 4 times that I could keep my data plant (unlimited data for the phone and tether) turns out theyu are saying the data plan is not compatible with the note II... and after talking to a C.S. Manager, he told me that since the last upgrade in 2010 I havent had the unlimited data/tether plan ALTHOUGH I HAVE PAID FOR IT... I think its interesting some of you have supposedly upgraded and had no problem and I and some others have been told we cant keep the data plan. I had 4 reps tell me there shouldnt be any problem and then another re, (after I told her she needed to find a way to put the unlimited data plan on the account) she put me on hold and came back to tell me they can do that and shouldnt be a problem... WTF... are they just lieing to use for th hell of it ? I why they continued to charge me 60.00 for the OLD data plan if they dropped me down to a 5Gb plan.... so damn tired of AT&T's lies.....

After a couple of weeks back and forth with trying to get a definate YES or NO on keeping the unlimited data plan, they finally told me this morning the UNLIMITED data plan will not work with the Note II because its a 4G/LTE device.... Good Luck...

Check your data plan... I was told I could keep it and when I opened my bill, it said 5GB Data Pro, I called to check and they switched me, saying the device isnt compatible with the data plan...... Good Luck...

Same here, I was able to keep my unlimited.

I completly understand where you are coming from, I had the same problem back in 2010 when they told me an iphone would tether, and turns out it wouldnt or they couldnt, so I went to an android (Samsung Captivate) had it until the 9th when I upgraded to the Note II, I called customer service several times to make sure I would be able to keep the unlimited data plan, not one time did they tell me the plan wouldnt work with the phone, The sales associate even said they could do it... Looked at my bill last night and it said 5Gb Data Pro... NOT WHAT I WANTED... I called but no luck.. they say the phone and the unlimited data plan can not be combined..... THANKS FOR LIEING TO ME, when you said it could....

I did the upgrade online, and I was able to select an unlimited data plan:
    Data Unlimited for 4G LTE w/Visual Voice Mail
    Unlimited domestic data usage on the AT&T Wi-Fi Basic Network. Visual Voice Mail. Only for use with 4G LTE Smartphones.

My old data plan was an old iPhone 3G unlimited plan. Switching to the new plan, I kept the same price $30 - 25% premier discount = $22.50. I didn't have to talk to anyone on phone or in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoknowes View Post
    I completly understand where you are coming from, I had the same problem back in 2010 when they told me an iphone would tether, and turns out it wouldnt or they couldnt, so I went to an android (Samsung Captivate) had it until the 9th when I upgraded to the Note II, I called customer service several times to make sure I would be able to keep the unlimited data plan, not one time did they tell me the plan wouldnt work with the phone, The sales associate even said they could do it... Looked at my bill last night and it said 5Gb Data Pro... NOT WHAT I WANTED... I called but no luck.. they say the phone and the unlimited data plan can not be combined..... THANKS FOR LIEING TO ME, when you said it could....
    I have not seen one reply here from the people who said that they were allowed to keep their unlimited data plan, also say that they kept their unlimited tethering plan. I believe that the tethering part is the real issue here.

Unlimited tethering might truly be no longer available under 4G\LTE with AT&T. It is like AT&T will allow you to grandfather your unlimited data plan, but it will be without the unlimited tethering plan. If you want tethering under 4G\LTE, then you have to get the 5GB Data Pro plan.

You could just settle for the unlimited data plan and as others have done, figure out how to tether on your own.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I actually bought the gs3 2 Months ago, renewed my 2 yr contract then last week my friend offered to buy it off me for 400,so I took it then bought a note 2 off contract, nothing changed with my data plan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12