Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default For those with grandfathered data plans..

Do you think AT&T will treat us with the same respect as they did for the iPhone 5 crowd?

Looking forward to purchasing a Note 2 but the thought of losing my unlimited data plan is making me cringe...

Default Re: For those with grandfathered data plans..

I bought a new phone and extended my contract at the end of July and didn't have any problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I bought the SGSIII on June 21 and had no problem keeping unlimited. I did buy no commitment and not an upgrade.
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Whoops. Should have been clearer in the first post. My fault.

I'll be upgrading, not purchasing. Will that change things?

As long as you stay with a smartphone you can keep the unlimited data no matter which smartphone you choose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Thanked by:

Agreed. I've kept my unlimited plan during two upgrades now.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Kept mine when I upgraded.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

Do not worry. You will keep unlimited data if you choose. At least for the time being. As with everything, it may change but not anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

Yes ive kept my unlimited data on two upgrades now since the change.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Awesome news! I just called At&T to confirm. That was one of my main concerns!
    Current iPhone 4S owner, switching to Note II by Feb '13
    Thanked by:

I've had my unlimited data plan since my first iPhone when the 3GS came out. I've upgraded every year since then and have been able to keep unlimited data, including the now unlimited LTE plan.

Sent from my LT28at using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Yup, my mom got a 4S recently and has had unlimited since her 3G.

Sent from my HTC One X
    Thanked by:

when you guys are upgrading are you doing it in store or over the net?

I did mine in store, but when I went through the steps online it looked like it was going to keep my unlimited.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

There is no reason you can't keep your unlimited data plan, but keep an eye on your plan for a week or so after you do the upgrade. I didn't have a problem when I bought my GSII from Best Buy, but when I bought my Note from Costco I noticed they put me on a limited data plan even though the Costco person said my plan was unlimited and would stay that way. You can get it back, but it is more of a hassle than it use to be. The ATT rep that I talked to (seemed knowledgeable about ATT plans and phones) said it used to be that they could just switch people back. Then they were told they needed to get their supervisors OK. Then ATT made it so they had to submit a request into "the system". It took two days for them to text me that the switch back to unlimited was approved. He said if you catch it quick it isn't a problem, but some people don't notice for months and after that long ATT won't put them back.

It seems like the problem is Costco related as a friend recently got a GS3 from Costco and the exact same thing happened (had to submit request and got approved a few days later). Bottom line.... watch your plan like a hawk for a week or so after upgrading to make sure nothing goes wrong.

From my understanding NONE of us have unlimited data plans any more.... I thought they took us from unlimited to 3Gb and then after that we were limited to EDGE speed UNTIL our billing cycle rolled over to a new month. I was somewhat ticked since I pay for an unlimited data plan on the smart phone (30.00) and another 30.00 for the unlimited tethering data plan and still only have 3Gb of data allowed at 3G speed.... Ive been curious about how they will probably try to force me to change data plans when I get a Note II.... (still waiting for a 32Gb white).

I have used over 2gb in the last week and no throttling. I'm about halfway through my billing cycle.

i spoke with a rep the day i pre-ordered and she said that I would still be grandfathered in with unlimited with 4G, but the throttles will start at 5GB where it will drop to edge speed i think she said. better than my unlimited right now, where i get throttled at 3GB. so technically there are still people with "unlimited data plans" unlike sprint, that has true unlimited.

BEWARE! I picked up my Note 2 today and asked the sales rep at AT&T 4 different times! 4 times!!! If I was still under my grandfathered in unlimited data plan and every time he said YES. I go to double check my account this evening and HECK NO! I am no longer under the unlimited data plan. They have switched it to 3GB. Now on the phone with AT&T trying to correct this and they are telling me it will take up to 2 weeks. What the heck.... I give them money and they screw this up. This is ridiculous!

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

They should be able to correct this immediately. I'd ask for credit and all sorts of stuff for pain and suffering.

Also, at&t is in enough trouble to think of revoking grandfathered unlimited data plans. Only reason I'm staying with them still, and I'm sure there are many on the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SysAdmNj View Post
    They should be able to correct this immediately. I'd ask for credit and all sorts of stuff for pain and suffering.

Also, at&t is in enough trouble to think of revoking grandfathered unlimited data plans. Only reason I'm staying with them still, and I'm sure there are many on the same boat.
    Pain and suffering? You are being over dramatic. They should be able to switch it back to unlimited pretty easily.

They said they would switch it back, but they had to develop a case in order to do so and that my expected resolve date is November 20. It will hopefully be corrected, just not as soon as I'd like. Oh well... Just frustrating that you go into buy a new phone and come out with a headache to deal with.

Me too. I upgraded to the Note 2 being absolutely certain that the choices I made during the upgrade would be to keep my existing unlimited plan.
    However, received my new Note 2 yesterday and discovered that I had been moved to a 3GB plan.

AT&T sucks big time. I'm planning to return my phone, end my service with them and move to T-Mobile.

You just need to call Customer Service and tell them what has happened... I am in pretty much the same boat, Ive had an unlimited data plan and tethering plan for over 4 years with UNLIMITED data. I called Customer service when I thought about upgrading to the GN2 and explained what I wanted to do in keeping BOTH UNLIMITED DATA PLANS and all three times I was told, sure, no problem, even by the third rep that told me to tell the sales associate to note the account on his end that I was wanting to keep the unlimited plans so there would be no confusion. The sales associate didnt have the option of adding the unlimited data plans at the time of sale but did open a case to restore them through some special group that handles problems... I then get a text msg saying they need to speak with me... I call and supposedly there is some sort of problem with not knowing what data plan I had... (really ? you cant look at my account for the past few years?) then a day later I get another saying to contact customer service about my case. I call and some woman tells me the data plan I have/HAD isnt compatible with the device...(again really ? from a Galaxy S phone to a Note 2 and the device cant handle it???) I told her to read the notes and find me a manager. She put me on hold and comes back after a little while saying they have reviewed the case and have determined they can restore the unlimited (5Gb on 4G/Lte devices) data plans and would waive any overages I may have incured...
    So, IF you had the unlimited data plan, You CAN get it back you just have to be a B**** to get it back. CALL AND START THE PROCESS NOW...

Good Luck!...

I went from iphone5 to samsung note 2 and I still have my unlimited. You should have no problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast