Multi window

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do att and verizon note 2 support multiwindow?? Engadget says no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Seems none of them have it out of the box. Hoping for a OTA update like the International model got to activate this feature.

Last edited:

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Right, I tried the TMobile and the Sprint versions and confirmed this too. No multi-task/multi-window support as of yet.

The S3 has multitask, and you must use the home button, as opposed to the 'back' button (where I therefore, couldn't figure out if they took away the 'screenshot' multitask JB method that the Note2 uses, absent the firmware that will enable multitask/multi-window). No multi-window yet for the S3, but recent announcements have said it will arrive by end-of-year on a 4.1.2 OS upgrade. Not sure if firmware is also upgraded, since I never had an android phone before.

Also, people have noted there is NO screen recorder, which may require the same/separate firmware update too. Again, will we have to wait until 4.1.2? Or do we get a firmware update for some of these missing (HUGE) features in the next few days/weeks (as the UK folks got theirs fairly quickly, I recall).

I assume the delay is partly due to the US carriers lag on testing these updates (which seemed to come late in the mix of the SGN2 announcement and leaks). They need to test their carrier specific apps and overlay. I hope I can remove some of that, as well (not sure what AT&T puts on android phones).

Also, important to note is that the marketing specs/ads do NOT tout this feature. And THIS would be a big feature to gloat about! AT&T mentions multitasking in terms of the video/s-note type pop-ups (which are also cool, no doubt). Sprint DOES mention the screen-recorder feature, in their initial press release (someone on the Sprint topics noted this). But, I guess that would make sense to clear expectations...all in all, this is a bit frustrating, yet expected (from what I've heard with Android eco-system/Samsung).

There are international phones that can download the firmware/hack...none of these downloads have any US specific models, of course.

I don't see why the US would not get this update...so, we just have to wait. Perhaps, even after Verizon get's theirs, since we don't know the way this will be rolled out in the USA.

Last edited:

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So wha is this multi thing everyone's complaining about? Is it the video player where you can watch a video / movie and shrink it to the screen to do emails or other things? Or is it the open 2 apps at once thing? Sorry, confused noob here ;)

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the general Note2 forum (at least, T-Mobile and Sprint, have the question as well).

As stated, it mostly has to do with the delay of the feature overall...and therefore, the delay our US carriers are taking to implement/test it with their 'stuff' and overlay...I assume, at least.

I wrote about how the carriers were not touting this (or the screen recorder feature, for that matter) Multitask/MultiWindow feature set...well, that may be changing, at least for one carrier.

The update is because it's been noted that MultiWindows IS being advertised on the Verizon SNote2 info page. Someone mentioned it in the xda developers forum, I think it was.

So?then the question is for the rest of the carriers, AT&T, Sprint, etc?does this mean it comes out around that time? Verizon's version of the Note2 is supposedly set for release on Nov 27th/29th? Or do we ALL wait until Dec, when the supposed 4.1.2 update for JB is coming for the S3 (and probably the Note2?or probably not?...seems like it?s not a guarantee in the Android world, even if it?s such a similar device).

Anyway, here is the only link for this source of info that alludes to the update coming to the S3?not sure where the SamMobile person got it from?the xda developer forum folks mentioned it too, based on a tweet from the same guy touting I9300XXD = 4.1.1 and I9300XXE= 4.1.2 ...the rumor has been spread around a bit and not debunked yet, who knows.

Multi-view for the Galaxy S3 is coming up | SamMobile

-------------------

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: Android 4.1, S Pen | Verizon Wireless

Multi-task More Than Ever Before
Take multi-tasking to a whole other level with a brilliant 5.5" screen and amazingly innovative capabilities.

Multi Window. Divide the screen into two active "windows" creating a split screen that enables fluid multitasking between applications.
Popup Video. Watch your favorite video and run other applications at the same time, in the same view
Popup Browser. Open a web link without leaving what you?re doing. View a webpage and what is displayed conveniently underneath.
Popup Notes. Open a convenient pop-up window to jot down a quick note or idea.
multiwindowpic_VZW.JPG

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Honestly multi window isn't that good without some more app adoption. Only works with a small selection of stock apps on the device. On a tablet with more apps this will be really great.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
It's unique right now indeed, but I'm sure that developers are all over it...check the xda developer forums for talk.

The S3 is getting this as a 4.1.2 update, as we have heard rumors of this in Dec 2012...that will help drive the cause for more apps to comply. I suspect some apps will/can not use it for whatever reason...but, more will come, no doubt.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Honestly multi window isn't that good without some more app adoption. Only works with a small selection of stock apps on the device. On a tablet with more apps this will be really great.

Yes, more apps would improve the feature, but I disagree that the feature isn't good. Imho, this is one of the biggest developments in mobile os in quite some time.

Sounds like it is easy to add compatibility, so expect more apps down the road. This will make a GOOD feature even better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

I disagree.
Even now it's a great feature.
Browser / video or video / S-Pen Note taking have a lot of utility already without a lot of apps.

The app development community will respond now that this feature is being rolled out.
I believe the reason Samsung is adding it to the SGS3 is for developers. The GN2 is too much of a niche device to attract a broad selection of the best developers. The SGS3 is one of the best selling phones in the world so the two together (along with the complete family of Galaxy Note Tablets) should provide an excellent opportunity for creative minds.

If MultiView is a Samsung patented feature (as opposed to Android) it could provide them with a huge advantage in the fast growing large screen (+4.7" ) smartphone and tablet markets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
@MIttensSportsFan - Agreed...but, pretty much what I said two posts up. (be patient, S3 will help and developers need to do their thing) :)

I'd also add that I think Samsung should expand on it by allowing more than 2 multi-view windows. Not so much on the screen all at once (although, one could size them that way)...but, rather that you can scroll down (if in portrait) or horizontally across (if in landscape) to see the other open windows with ease.

Now, THAT would be really cool! And probably wouldn't be much harder to implement.

jimmers40

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Another question, why would verizon half the multi feature but att and others dont? I cant imagine that adding that feature is that difficult. What am i missing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the 'others' won't have it. It is most likely taking a while because each carrier has to test this on their model/build and approve it, so it depends on them. Even Samsung did not advertise multi-window for any carriers (USA) nor the N7100 model (general international model), which is even more odd, as they have gotten it. The only advert I saw that depicted the feature was the Korean internet advert that showed all the features (long advert/promo), not a 1m/30s commercial.

Not a lot a averts on TV about the Note 2's features in detail (just a LeBron James commerical, I think) here in the USA. So, I suspect they will show this somehow in time for the holiday season...which gives them time to roll it out that way. Just speculating...

Interesting news from AC on this, today: Android 4.1.2 update for Galaxy Note could add Nature UX, multi-window feature | Android Central

So, the question remains...will this be on the Note2 at the same time as the Note1 and S3? One would think, but given the nature of updates and carrier approval/testing...it's not exactly in the bag to happen at the same time. It does bode well for a 'soon' assumption though, along with VZW customers looking to have it upon the Note2 roll-out. But, what is 'IT'? 4.1.2? Firmware update for the multi-window/task feature itself already on the VZW model?

I have AT&T too, so I am in the same boat.

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
At the mall near my house they have a samsung pop-up site and they have Note 2's. They showed off the multi window but these are on international units. The rep said that there was no support for it yet in the US b/c of the carriers but they will update.

On another note they had the GALAXY Camera there also and I must say that the thing is pretty awesome looking. I cannot wait to use my future Note 2 as a remote viewfinder! the Camera (according to the rep) should be around $500-$600.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
At the mall near my house they have a samsung pop-up site and they have Note 2's. They showed off the multi window but these are on international units. The rep said that there was no support for it yet in the US b/c of the carriers but they will update.

On another note they had the GALAXY Camera there also and I must say that the thing is pretty awesome looking. I cannot wait to use my future Note 2 as a remote viewfinder! the Camera (according to the rep) should be around $500-$600.

I'm debating just picking up the international version from Amazon. One of the things I like most about the Note 2 is the multi window feature. I'd give up LTE but HSPA+ is just fine throughout most of Texas. I have little faith in AT&T having an update available with multi window until sometime next year when we are looking forward to the GS4/Note 3.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm debating just picking up the international version from Amazon. One of the things I like most about the Note 2 is the multi window feature. I'd give up LTE but HSPA+ is just fine throughout most of Texas. I have little faith in AT&T having an update available with multi window until sometime next year when we are looking forward to the GS4/Note 3.

I would not give up LTE, being around Washington, DC and the good coverage. I would not think it will take that long to roll out the Samsung TW multi-window feature for AT&T if VZW will have it on their phones by the end of the month.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante