proximity sensor issue when making call? - screen doesn't turn back on

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't able to find a post that had this same issue so if there is and i missed i apologize in advance.

I've noticed that my gnote 2's proximity sensor doesnt seem to be working properly, mainly when making/receiving calls.

When making/receiving a call, as soon as i put the phone to my ear, the screen turns off (great), but then when I move the phone away so i can enter numbers or do something on the prompts, the screen stays black and doesnt seem to wake up. I then press power button or the home button to no avail. I've since turned off the proximity sensor as well as answering/ending calls with the power/home buttons.

anyone else have this issue? seems like this started up a few days. i've rebooted the device quite a few times and can't for the life of me figure out why its doing this now. was there an update that could have caused this?

my s/w is 4.1.1. this is the unlocked n7100 phone on the att network and not the actual att gs2 as that's on its way.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

aclerk

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: proximity sensor issue when making call? - screen doesnt turn back on

i think i figured it out. ive turned off the proximity sensor and made sure to keep the screen on always. from my testing and restores, it seems that i may have broken the sensor somehow, perhaps on one of the few times i dropped it. oh well. hopefully this wont happen with the replacement

Andrew Boulton

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I've have the same problem, it maybe due to I have a phone protector around the phone and the camera sensor is detecting it.

Burleson90

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

If you have a screen protector on the phone that more than likely is the issue. Some of the aftermarket screen protectors aren't exact. I had this issue with my S2. Also it has caused some issues with the nexus 4. If that is it cut the cut out for the proximity sensor so that it is a little bit bigger.

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I experienced the same thing when bringing home a brand new Razr Maxx HD from the Verizon store last weekend. This occurred right off with the first phone call received and each call afterwards. I did NOT have a screen protector on either. I returned the phone the next day.

Guido Minciotti

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Hi,
How did you manage to turn the proximity sensor Off on Galaxy Note 2?
I dropped my phone and since the glass is cracked above the sensor is cannot get the screen back on after moving the phone away from my face....
Thank you for your help.
G

Steve Greany

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Ok im having the same issue with my galaxy note 2. I dont have a screen protector. I thought mabey an issue with an app so I did a hard reset and I still have the same problem. I found the screen comes back when the other party in the call hangs up of if I put a bright light onto the front sensor.

amow24

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

hey guys, i had the same problem (note 2 sprint) where my screen would go dark as it should when taking a call but i couldn't wake it back up after removing it from my ear. I had some spare parts so I opened it up to replace the sensor and found that there was just a bunch of dust and crud on the sensor and between the sensor and the glass. It was easy enough as just cleaning the crud out and it works great now. I have a two spare proximity sensors if this doesn't help and anyone needs a replacement let me know.

matty1323

May 29, 2011
Visit site

I fixed mine!!! I was reading the replies to this thread and it all sounded too familiar. I had a custom rom on it so I know it wasn't an update, and I have a screen protector but I can clearly see it is not blocking it and it worked after it was put on for a period of time anyway. I took a can of compressed air and blew it through the top earpiece grill a few times and Voila, it works great now. I can finally not fumble around trying to get the screen back on when I am on a call to choose an option or worry about pressing buttons when the screen is set to stay on during calls. If you have this issue give the canned air a try, worked great for me and I didn't have to take it apart.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I fixed mine!!! I was reading the replies to this thread and it all sounded too familiar. I had a custom rom on it so I know it wasn't an update, and I have a screen protector but I can clearly see it is not blocking it and it worked after it was put on for a period of time anyway. I took a can of compressed air and blew it through the top earpiece grill a few times and Voila, it works great now. I can finally not fumble around trying to get the screen back on when I am on a call to choose an option or worry about pressing buttons when the screen is set to stay on during calls. If you have this issue give the canned air a try, worked great for me and I didn't have to take it apart.

Hells yeah, worked for me too! Thanks guys! You saved me from having to get a refurb!

David Tomkinson

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I want to thank you for this infornation. I blew the ear piece speaker port and now my proximity sensor is working again. Its very annoying when that sensor doesnt work properly.

grpweld

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Hey a big thanks for this info same as above & it works great now :)

Michele Wilcox

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem. I have an n7100 as well. I went to Settings, then Display, and then to Als_ps calibration - and re-calibrated. The phone works for now with no black screen when I call out or receive calls. I did get a black screen on one incoming call but when I moved the phone away and in another direction, it was okay again. If anyone has a complete cure ... please post.

BTW ... I blew out the ear piece with air as well. Thanks for that tip!!

gkaraan

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

This issue happens if your Proximity Sensor needs calibration...
To calibrate it, go to: Settings>>Display>>Als_ps calibration

I had the same issue, and I solved it this way... Good Luck!;)

pejalcute

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

My galaxy note 2 proximity sensor doesnt work too....why...?
When i make a call the screen doesnt turn back...

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

This issue happens if your Proximity Sensor needs calibration...
To calibrate it, go to: Settings>>Display>>Als_ps calibration

I had the same issue, and I solved it this way... Good Luck!;)

The verizon model doesn't have this calibration option available FYI.

Blowing it out seems to work well. To think I did a factory reset to try and fix this and a few other things.

philipmathews

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
if you have "simple cover lock" app installed and enabled than you might get the same issues.
so before resetting or sending in for repairs kindly check if the issue lies with the app and not the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech