Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MattMJB0188
  • 1 Post By Nchaka
  • 1 Post By PhxBlue
  • 1 Post By lex2lo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Transition to GN2 from iPhone 4s?

Anyone else coming from an iPhone 4S? What I mean by 'transition' is simply permanently moving to the Android platform. I have about a dozen iPhone 4S cases and tons of iPhone 4S wallpaper that I made starting last year. That's pretty much one of the main reasons I stay with the iphone 4S. I tried the iPhone 5 and hated it. Anyway, I have tried many Android smartphones, including the Galaxy S II and Galaxy S3. I loved the Galaxy S II that AT&T had (non skyrocket).

I am currently saving my money to purchase the Galaxy Note II off contract as my contract ends next October. I have the tendency to love my new shiny Android phone and then return it a week later or right before the return period is up. I fear that I will do the same with the Note 2. I don't want to be stuck with the 4S until next October. AT&T just blanketed my area with full LTE coverage and I want to be able to take advantage of that. The iPhone 4S tops out at 14.4mbps. I'd like to see some 4G speeds.

How does one fully transition to the Galaxy Note 2 after using an iPhone 4S for a year on and off?

I've also gone through many iPhone 4S's as many have developed problems. Apple quality control sucks.
    ska916jedi likes this.

Default Re: Transition to GN2 from iPhone 4s?

I'm also worried about that because I've used the iPhone since day one. I was excited for the Atrix when that came out and got it, but returned it right before the 30 days to get use my iPhone 4 again. I don't like my tiny 4, but I like how it's super simple and even a baby can use it. I remeber not liking the Atrix because the screen resolution sucked. I also hated not being able to do copy and paste with text like I do all the time here on my 4. Also, my other beef with the Atrix / Android, I had problems using the apps that allowed me to use iTunes with it. When I played an album or picked a song, the tracks would never be in order. It was weird andreally pissed me off. So those are my main fears when trying to switch again.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Using the GSIII Android has come a very long way since the Atrix. It's really amazing. I absolutely hate the iphone 5's form factor, but the 4S is another story. I love the sharpness of the text and color. I also love how firm everything is on the 4s. Uh I don't know. I just want to hang onto the Note 2 for a year.

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

It really comes down to a few major points and will always be the major difference between iOS and Android.

First, like one said above, the iPhone is so simple and well rounded that even a baby could use it. IPhones take away a lot of user control in that, compared to android, you're pretty much stuck with how the phone is the day you first turn it on. What I mean is that you have to use it exactly as it was designed to be used and Apple doesn't give nearly the amount of customization that Android does. You're left to be a little creative with Android in that you can set up the phone how you want it, not how Apple dictates indirectly. That comes easy for some and actually is a very enjoyable process because you can make any android device uniquely yours. Rarely do you see any 2 android devices set up in the same fashion but, with an iPhone, grab one and then grab another and it will mostly be the same. This brings me to the second major differentiating factor...function.

The function of an iPhone has always been very smooth because Apple simply will not release a product that is "experimental" if you will. They will always make sure that, with their products, they are releasing technology that will simply work always.

All in all it comes down to this: iPhone is one thing. An iPhone running ios with very similar features across the board. Android is multiple things running tons of different versions with absolutely endless amounts of variables and customizations. Some work very well and some don't.
    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

Default Transition to GN2 from iPhone 4s?

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Anyone else coming from an iPhone 4S? What I mean by 'transition' is simply permanently moving to the Android platform. I have about a dozen iPhone 4S cases and tons of iPhone 4S wallpaper that I made starting last year. That's pretty much one of the main reasons I stay with the iphone 4S. I tried the iPhone 5 and hated it. Anyway, I have tried many Android smartphones, including the Galaxy S II and Galaxy S3. I loved the Galaxy S II that AT&T had (non skyrocket).

I am currently saving my money to purchase the Galaxy Note II off contract as my contract ends next October. I have the tendency to love my new shiny Android phone and then return it a week later or right before the return period is up. I fear that I will do the same with the Note 2. I don't want to be stuck with the 4S until next October. AT&T just blanketed my area with full LTE coverage and I want to be able to take advantage of that. The iPhone 4S tops out at 14.4mbps. I'd like to see some 4G speeds.

How does one fully transition to the Galaxy Note 2 after using an iPhone 4S for a year on and off?

I've also gone through many iPhone 4S's as many have developed problems. Apple quality control sucks.
    If you are interested, talk to your AT&T (company) store. They will do an early upgrade. They will waive the $250 early upgrade fee if you buy $150 in accessories. You can sell iPhone to them, but you probably get a better price at gazelle or ebay.
    That is what I'm doing, Friday I will call to reserve my gn2 and pick it up after work. Unless I take the day off!
    ska916jedi likes this.
    Super Geek

Global Posts
    618 Global Posts

If I may chime in w/my 2 . I have also owned an iPhone from the beginning but have woven Android into my life. You will like the Jelly Bean version of Android. It is very well done. I'd say buy with confidence.
    Thanked by:
    ska916jedi likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Nchaka View Post
    If you are interested, talk to your AT&T (company) store. They will do an early upgrade. They will waive the $250 early upgrade fee if you buy $150 in accessories. You can sell iPhone to them, but you probably get a better price at gazelle or ebay.
    That is what I'm doing, Friday I will call to reserve my gn2 and pick it up after work. Unless I take the day off!
    Thanks but I'd rather not go back to my local AT&T store and give them any commission on a new contract. I also don't want to extend my contract whatsoever. Buying outright is fine with me. Just gotta save up.

Quote Originally Posted by PhxBlue View Post
    If I may chime in w/my 2 . I have also owned an iPhone from the beginning but have woven Android into my life. You will like the Jelly Bean version of Android. It is very well done. I'd say buy with confidence.
    I've heard Jelly Bean is awesome. LIke I said, there are a few things about the iPhone 4s that I love. The simplicity is very enticing along with how well the device works. Then again I fall in a unique category, as I also enjoy rooting the hell out of my phone and flashing custom roms.

Apple finally lost me, I was ready for something new and they delivered a stretched 4s. So now I know I won't like their phone for two years since the 5s will be a slight improvement. They hooked me with their innovation, but lost me with their lack of it.

I'm so excited for Friday and the change and fun it will bring. I always jailbroke my iPhones, only to do what android allows me to do out of the box. I'm sure I will root it at some point, I won't be able to help myself, but it's nice to know I can make it my own without jailbreaking.
    Super Geek

Global Posts
    618 Global Posts

Im like you i love to tinker and as such the iPhone leads me to great boredom after a while.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by PhxBlue View Post
    Im like you i love to tinker and as such the iPhone leads me to great boredom after a while.
    I might hang onto my iPhone4s for a little longer while longer until the off contract pricing comes down.

Yes I will be leaving my 4s behind, it's going to be my first android do I hope I don't regret this move. I have had ios since 07 and smartphone wise iphone was the only one I've ever used. So cheers and good luck to us!!
    ska916jedi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lex2lo View Post
    Yes I will be leaving my 4s behind, it's going to be my first android do I hope I don't regret this move. I have had ios since 07 and smartphone wise iphone was the only one I've ever used. So cheers and good luck to us!!
    I'm in the same boat as you buddy! Hooefulky we can start some noob topics on here to help us get through it. LoL

You should read my thread I've got two posts check it out

Quote Originally Posted by lex2lo View Post
    You should read my thread I've got two posts check it out
    I have, but meant after we get the phones.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

You guys are really nice lol. But no seriously, I've had the Samsung Galaxy S II, Galaxy Skyrocket, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and iPhone 5. My favorite out of all of those was the Galaxy S II. Hands down the best Android phone with the greatest form factor.

I have successfully flashed over a dozen custom roms. I love flashing roms with a passion. But I also love the FLUIDITY the iPhone has. This is what keeps me going back. That and the fact that I have over a dozen 4S cases.