Possible to unlock the AT&T LTE Galaxy Note2?

SuperBubu

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to purchase the AT&T Galaxy Note2 this Friday at the no comittment pricing and was wondering if this model can be unlocked successfully? I am coming from an unlocked iPhone. I have been very impressed with all the positive reviews of the Note 2, and cannot wait to make the switch to a customizable Andriod phone!

I am assuming that AT&T will not unlock the phone and I would have to seek out some third party website to get this deed done.

Can anyone on this forum confirm that an AT&T version of the Galaxy note is able to be successfully unlocked? I have read that some individuals have unlocked their T-Mobile versions. Reason is I will be making a business trip to Asia early next week, and hope to be able to use a foreign sim card when I am at the location.

Thanks again!

SuperBubu

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

One of the concerns I have is that I have read of some people who have tried these third party sites and have waited up to a week to get their unlock codes...some even got cheated by sites who claimed that they can but in the end had failure.

I guess it's impossible for anyone to verify if the AT&T LTE version of the Galaxy note 2 can be successfully unlocked, how long it will take to get the unlock done, and by which third party site since it won't be out till this Friday.

SuperBubu

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a quick clarification I hope some of you who are more experienced would be able to help .

Does it make a difference if the phone is still under contract or not when determining if it can be successfully unlocked? The reason I am asking is I am considering purchasing the phone at the non-comittment pricing as I thought AT&T would grant the unlock code if purchased at full price. However, if I could just pay the upgrade pricing of $299 and be under a new 2 year contract and still be able to have to successfully unlocked by a third party vendor...I think that will be the cheaper way?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
AT&T will unlock any phone purchased at no commitment pricing, as long as its not exclusive to AT&T. The Note 2 is NOT exclusive to AT&T this time.

SuperBubu

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome news! I plan to walk into a corporate store tomorrow and purchase a phone, but I wonder if it would be prudent to request for the unlock code there right after the purchase or wait till I return back and give CS a call? When I spoke to them the last time, they informed me that they will not be able to tell if a phone is unlockable until they submit the IMEI unlock request through the system.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome news! I plan to walk into a corporate store tomorrow and purchase a phone, but I wonder if it would be prudent to request for the unlock code there right after the purchase or wait till I return back and give CS a call? When I spoke to them the last time, they informed me that they will not be able to tell if a phone is unlockable until they submit the IMEI unlock request through the system.

The girl I spoke with said, they might not have unlock codes right away.

SuperBubu

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is not the case as I am flying off in 4 days and would need to use the phone in foreign soil.

On a hopeful note, I read on the T-Mobile forums that some have actually managed to get unlock codes for their GN2's........I think they used some third party sites. If they are able to get this done, I am hopeful that some third party sites can also unlock the AT&T GN2's. I just need to find a reputable one.

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Purchased GN2 at full price but unfortunately AT&T cannot unlock at this time. They are willing but currently not available. Also, as of now there is not scheduled date when it will be available. You must wait unless you go with a third party. This update is as of 13 Nov.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (AT&T)

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
AT&T will unlock any phone purchased at no commitment pricing, as long as its not exclusive to AT&T. The Note 2 is NOT exclusive to AT&T this time.

Just call ATT and tell em youre traveling outside the country and theyll unlock it for free. Theyve unlocked 3 Galaxy Notes under my plan in the last 2 months.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I just called AT&T, their idiots, no wonder Consumers gave them the worst carrier rating. I got the same crap about exclusive and we were the first ones to get the GN2.
I am pissed off, 6 years, never been late on paying a bill, tired of dealing with those losers.
Anyone have any ideas. I want my GN2 unlocked proper, not under the table.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just called AT&T, their idiots, no wonder Consumers gave them the worst carrier rating. I got the same crap about exclusive and we were the first ones to get the GN2.
I am pissed off, 6 years, never been late on paying a bill, tired of dealing with those losers.
Anyone have any ideas. I want my GN2 unlocked proper, not under the table.

Read my post above yours. A free unlock method! Unless you mean you want ATT to give it to you to make a point. Unlocked is unlocked to me!

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Thats pure unadulterated cow manure- get a level 2 or tier 2 individual to escalate your issue to the subsidy unlock dept. They will give you a case#. This is one of the very reasons Consumers gave AT&T the "Worst" rating. As long as you are within the protocols for a Subsidy unlock you should have no problems. Your account has to be in good standing, the device cannot be a exclusive device to AT&T, and several others.