Overwhelmed New Android User

ih8tofly

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
New to Android after 8 years of Blackberry use. Jumped in feet first with the Note 2, which arrived today.

I don't mind putting in the legwork to learn all I can but there is so much info available, I am overwhelmed.

Could you please recommend prior posts for the totally uninitiated? It's greatly appreciated.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
New to Android after 8 years of Blackberry use. Jumped in feet first with the Note 2, which arrived today.

I don't mind putting in the legwork to learn all I can but there is so much info available, I am overwhelmed.

Could you please recommend prior posts for the totally uninitiated? It's greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I would just play with it. As you have a question, then look up the topic in forums. Stick to the s3 and note 2 forums.

If you're stock, you won't mess up the phone permanently. If you get stuck, just post a question. Just try to solve it first on your own. I was new a few months ago and I'm still a Newby, but it wasn't too difficult after I spent some time trying things out and seeing what effect they had.

Just be patient and don't freak out. You'll love android like I am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I left the caveman tool 4 years ago best move ever made.

Best bet is to follow Yogis advice.
After a couple days of use you will catch on then from there throw out some questions if point A - B are still giving you hard time.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have owned several Samsung galaxy phones and there are a ton of settings on this phone. Just take your time. You can also see how to do many thing on you tube etc. Commit to several weeks to get the hang of it. You may get frustrated but keep with it. It is quite different from blackberry OS.

ih8tofly

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. Found the Blackberry User's Guide to Android post and have been digging in.

Since I'm new to Android, from Blackberry, and have only had the Note 2 for a few hours, I'm kicking myself in the ass for waiting so long to switch.

The Note 2 is just tremendous. Cannot wait to discover more capabilities.

ocanyc

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I still use the caveman tool for work, its just that a tool. But as far as learning your device, besides playing with it I would say read the forums and watch youtube videos relating to your questions or device. You'll pick it up, it isnt that difficult.

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Noob Q's, was able to find one of the last ones in Sacramento.
1) How do I sync my iPhone contacts to this phone?
2) I had an Atrix for 29 days. How do I get the paid Apps I once had? It only shows my free ones in Play. Weird.
3) How do I get the clicks to stop when I type?
4) Is the Micro SD card suppose to be easy to pop out? It's like it doesn't even want to stay in. It shows it's connected but worried my phone shakes in my pocket or something, will it come out?
That's all for now lol Thanks

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Noob Q's, was able to find one of the last ones in Sacramento.
1) How do I sync my iPhone contacts to this phone?
2) I had an Atrix for 29 days. How do I get the paid Apps I once had? It only shows my free ones in Play. Weird.
3) How do I get the clicks to stop when I type?
4) Is the Micro SD card suppose to be easy to pop out? It's like it doesn't even want to stay in. It shows it's connected but worried my phone shakes in my pocket or something, will it come out?
That's all for now lol Thanks

I'm not sure on the contacts because mine are saved in my Google account. When you sign into the play store, are u using the same email address as u did before? The clicks are in settings, try sounds or keyboard settings. Your sd card should click into place, and to take it out u should have to push it first..but like they said above, you really just have to play with it if you want to know everything about it. Don't worry about breaking it, if ur not rooted it'll be OK. Just remember what u did if and if u don't like something, u can change it . I will usually try something before I disable it. Anything you do, you can change. I have the S3 so ur settings are probably different than mine. Just go into everything, explore it all and change what u don't like. Good luck and enjoy ur new phone!

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a very time consuming process even for those that have some experience.
Been setting up my Note II today on and off for about 7-8 hours and I'm still not completely done.

Take your time, have a beer and it will all come together in a few months :)

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

As long as you are using the same Google account, you should be able to get the purchased apps. Try searching them and they should say "purchased" next to them.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, found the clicks in the keyboard and did contacts with a cool app called iDrive Lite. You have install it on your iPhone first.
Now trying to figure out how to get my weather on the home screen under the clock. I click the "tap to add city" and it searches ("locating. Please wait..") for a few minutes and then says "Location Error - Failed to fid current location." Any idea?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, found the clicks in the keyboard and did contacts with a cool app called iDrive Lite. You have install it on your iPhone first.
Now trying to figure out how to get my weather on the home screen under the clock. I click the "tap to add city" and it searches ("locating. Please wait..") for a few minutes and then says "Location Error - Failed to fid current location." Any idea?

have you enabled the GPS ?

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
have you enabled the GPS ?

Yeah :( I pressed the back button to stop the search and just typed in my zip and it found it. Hooefulky it will change it tomorrow when I do some errands. Thanks!

Anyone use the game emulators? How do you get the games? I thought there was an app to get them?

What about closing an app? Ther run in the background like an iPhone right?

Tried to minimize a YouTube video, couldn't figure that out. Is that the multi-window feature?

Last edited:

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Tried to minimize a YouTube video, couldn't figure that out. Is that the multi-window feature?

Use the back button to close. Having apps running in the background will drain your battery.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

davidk365

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Buttons usage:
Back Arrow is like the close button X on computer. If you're done using something, like camera, press Back to exit.
Home (the physical middle button) is like the minimize button _ on computer. Like when you're web surfing, and you want get back to it as you want to do something else, press Home. You then can hold Home, or press on its icon on homescreen, to re-open it.
I recommend you use Home button only when needed. Don't use it for everything, as putting apps in background would eat RAM.
In other words, don't treat it like a fruit-phone. Treat it more like a computer, like when you're done online shopping, you would close all tabs then press X to close the browser. And if you're running too many programs, doing too many things more than the computer can handle, it would start to lag and might freeze.

Also,
Menu (the left button) is like the menu bar on computer (the bar on top where it usually has File, Edit, View, etc.). The Menu button, when pressed, usually has things like Settings, Help, Info About App, etc.
And long-pressing on the screen is like right mouse click.

Last edited:

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So I'm in a different part of town and my weather widget on the home screen hasn't automatically changed to the city I'm in now. Do I need to delete it or something and readd it? I want the option when I first started the phone to automaticly find where I'm at and show the weather :(
Any ideas?

jprowland

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from iPhone, new to Android as well. I had the advantage of flashing a Jelly Bean ROM (CM10) to my old Kindle Fire last week so I was able to start playing with it but I can sympathize, there's a lot to absorb.

The biggest issues I've found... getting my music transferred over, what a pain. iTunes makes it SOOO easy on the iPhone but it's a pain with Android. Right now I'm copying music over manually and exporting .m3u playlists from iTunes, but I'm going to try KIES in the next couple days (as I understand it does a better job of cherry-picking just the music in your playlists, but you still have to manually export the .m3u files). So far KIES has been a pain (several hours to import my iTunes library, and running in the background was making my laptop CPU fan run nonstop), if it doesn't float my boat I might try iSyncr but that'll be the limit, after that I'll just go back to manual copying. My playlists aren't fancy so not a huge deal.

More annoying to me is lack of hardware vibrate mode button, although holding the power button pops up the audio mode select which is a reasonable compromise. I still miss being able to check the sound just by feeling in my pocket. What's really a nuisance is that the vibrate function does NOT apply to silencing media volume (games, music, apps, etc.) What's up with that??? I downloaded an app that syncs the media volume to the system volume (RealSilent) which seems to work but frankly I don't completely trust it yet. I'm just waiting for the inevitable embarrassing moment in a quiet auditorium.

Final nuisance is that Bejeweled 2 is listed as not compatible with GN2, Bejeweled Blitz doesn't exist on Android, and every Solitaire game sucks sucks sucks compared to the brilliant iOS Solitaire City.

Aside from that, the experience has been amazing (even on KF but especially GN2) and I don't regret it for a second.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah :( I pressed the back button to stop the search and just typed in my zip and it found it. Hooefulky it will change it tomorrow when I do some errands. Thanks!

Anyone use the game emulators? How do you get the games? I thought there was an app to get them?

Go into your settings, then location and enable the GPS on the phone. Then refresh the weather widget. Try weatherbug it works better than most and I think it's more accurate. I also get weather alerts like wind, storm, tornado, heat and freeze warnings that pop up in my notification bar. We live in tornado alley so it really is handy. You also should download all in one toolbox, it has a task killer, app killer, cache cleaner and battery and ram booster. U should use it everyday. It works. I know it's a lot and it's confusing but once you figure everything out and really learn how to customize it, you will love it!

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Go into your settings, then location and enable the GPS on the phone. Then refresh the weather widget. Try weatherbug it works better than most and I think it's more accurate. I also get weather alerts like wind, storm, tornado, heat and freeze warnings that pop up in my notification bar. We live in tornado alley so it really is handy. You also should download all in one toolbox, it has a task killer, app killer, cache cleaner and battery and ram booster. U should use it everyday. It works. I know it's a lot and it's confusing but once you figure everything out and really learn how to customize it, you will love it!

I do have GSP on :/

How about getting Flash Player on here to watch videos like South Park Studios.