Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moving apps to SD Card, on Note2

Several individuals have stated they can't move apps to the SD Card on the AT&T variant of the Note2.
    Is this a widespread issue or random? If so, can someone give a more detailed explanation of what's going on, why and if it's fixable without rooting. Very surprised about this, we have some excellent review sites, hard to believe they would miss something like this.
    ska916jedi likes this.

Default Re: Moving apps to SD Card, on Note2

I would like to know more about this too. I was told by AT&T technical support that the OS does not yet support this. That none of the move to SD apps will work on the current OS. If you look at the setting screen for an app, you'll see that there is no move to SD option there.

I'm new to Android haven't used iPhones for 5 years. I sure would like to know more about move to SD as the internal memory on the note 2 is very limited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

I put in the other thread that this is due to the way android security has evolved under jellybean and maybe earlier. Pretty sure that's the reason anyway.

This is a Samsung limitation. It shows internal memory as sdcard0 and your actual SD card as extsdcard. My GS3 was the same way.

So is this likely to be fixed in an upcoming OS release?

Since my note 10.1 has the same setup, and I doubt Samsung thinks it's an issue. Remembering back, I think even my GS2 had the same limitation.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It would be nice if there was some dialog or explanation of Why you cant move apps to the SD card anymore. Who or what is responsible for this issue? Samsung or JB? Is it fixable or how do you get the issue addressed?
    It's amazing how something like this and other features that we take for granted to be there get set aside without explanation or prior knowledge.
    There was so much said about Jelly Bean prior to the release of all these Magical Device's yet no one listed or reviewed " Features you've come to like missing from Jelly Bean".
    Thank you in advance
    ipaulr and T_Gupta like this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

Simply: Google has a handful of reasons why they hate external storage. This is being enforced in new devices. If you want to know why, I think there is a nice article on the Nexus 7 about the subject.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiac View Post
    Simply: Google has a handful of reasons why they hate external storage. This is being enforced in new devices. If you want to know why, I think there is a nice article on the Nexus 7 about the subject.
    Thank you, by chance, could you post the link to the article here.
    T_Gupta likes this.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    Thank you, by chance, could you post the link to the article here.
    Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central

Is happening with me too
    I also cant move apps to sd card even through app known S ' move to sd card'
    If anyone can help I will really be very thankful to the perso.

Hey all im having same problems and this one is the N7105 not the 00 love the phone just annoying i cant move to my 16 gigz card.

Future more can i say i got a Ennovia TAB E410 tablet whit android 4.0.1 and 4 gigs but is actuelly split to 2 drives so that tablet have it same way extsd is sd card and that one is rooted but still wont move apps to extsd, and i think its the same issue whit both ; ( but wierd i have 2 devices whit same problem.

Not very smart Android, your only upsetting people bye making this change where we can't stor or applications to external sd card. We pay good money for these phones, to run out of storage right away is a slap in the face. Please fix

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Im just as bumed out about this as much as you guys are but there is no "fix" for this. Its not that os doesnt support it cause ginger bread and froyo did and so did older model phones that where updated to ics. Its plain and simple. Google doesnt like it so they changed it around. There will not be "fix". Only method of doing something about it is rooting and changing what the phone see's as internal storage.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2

I've read that it's a Jellybean thing and not to do with the actual Note 2 itself. Supposedly Samsung is following an example set by Google--attempting to phase out external memory in favor of larger internal memory. A huge mistake if you ask me. If I wanted to be stuck with just internal memory, I'd buy an iToy.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Something JB

Sigh... This has been said so many times, one more time.

Google wants the sdcard gone. If you had a gingerbread phone that went to ics you still had the option.

If you bought a phone with ics out of the box, it was gone.

It died on ics, and will not come back.

It isn't the phone, or carrier.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Ry likes this.

its google thing all right , the busterds changed the rulls and didnt tell us about it , be carefull google microsoft is bihaind you ... ( sorry for the bad english ) , but the stupid injenirs off google think they know what best for us . not only they missed move to sd but they allso are giving us bad os since the ics , the crashes all the time , I had the sg2 with gingerbred that was very good os , then upgraded to ics ( or dowengraded ) and with go louncher it crashed alot and so does jb os on my note 2 with qoud core and 2 gb of ram , ty os im' pissed for that . I have a phone with the highset spec' and its oprate like a low spec one , really looking at windows 8. might be my next os..

Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    Only method of doing something about it is rooting and changing what the phone see's as internal storage.

Do you have a link to a forum with how to do this? A forum? or a site or something that explains the process of switch the drives?

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdefeat7 View Post
    Do you have a link to a forum with how to do this? A forum? or a site or something that explains the process of switch the drives?
    No sir i do not, i myself prefer running stock and not messing around with the internals so i have no clue.

I'm the latest victim of the note 2 and it not moving apps to the sd card. I'm an avid mobile gamer, got the phone a few days ago and got my 64 gig sd card today. this is honestly more moronic than anything Apple has ever done with ios. It pains me to say this, but, without this basic function, my note 2 is going back and I'm getting a full refund. F-you Samsung. your 16 gig hard drive is enough space for me to fit 5 games on my 700.00 phone, outright shameful embarrassing ridiculous and I won't tolerate it in the least bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm the latest victim of the note 2 and it not moving apps to the sd card. I'm an avid mobile gamer, got the phone a few days ago and got my 64 gig sd card today. this is honestly more moronic than anything Apple has ever done with ios. It pains me to say this, but, without this basic function, my note 2 is going back and I'm getting a full refund. F-you Samsung. your 16 gig hard drive is enough space for me to fit 5 games on my 700.00 phone, outright shameful embarrassing ridiculous and I won't tolerate it in the least bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Gephart View Post

- - - Updated - - -

IT'S NOT SAMSUNG! There must be 5 threads on this already. It's ICS and later versions of Android. Google did it. Doesn't matter who made your droid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Gephart View Post

Victim? Wow.

Curious, which 5 games?

I'll have to give it to you though. At least you're speaking with your wallet and taking it back instead of buying the phone, complaining about it's limits, and keeping the device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

hi. i contacted samsung and was told that only applications 1gb and larger can be moved to the sd card. then, i read on a different forum that you can install an app that will allow you to move other apps to the sd card, but i cant seem to find it. does anyone know if there is such an application? why would i purchase a 16gb sd card and then not be able to move any apps to it that are smaller than 1gb? of the 50-60 apps i have installed on my note 2, none are even close to being 1gb. so, essentially, you CANT move to sd card, right? sorry if i am not posting correctly. i am very new to this, and cant seem to find an answer to this question. thanks.

EDIT: already posted

Quote Originally Posted by 408chaoss View Post
    hi. i contacted samsung and was told that only applications 1gb and larger can be moved to the sd card. then, i read on a different forum that you can install an app that will allow you to move other apps to the sd card, but i cant seem to find it. does anyone know if there is such an application? why would i purchase a 16gb sd card and then not be able to move any apps to it that are smaller than 1gb? of the 50-60 apps i have installed on my note 2, none are even close to being 1gb. so, essentially, you CANT move to sd card, right? sorry if i am not posting correctly. i am very new to this, and cant seem to find an answer to this question. thanks.
    There are no apps that I know of that are close to a gig in file size except for maybe video game apps but I haven't see any.

The only way to move apps to the sd card is to root your phone and follow some tech method. I think that's the only way to get the apps to work that are supposed to transfer apps to the card - your phone has to be rooted. There is a video on youtube somewhere that shows some dude moving the facebook app and others to the sd card. I know nothing about rooting but you can find tutorials on the xda developers site forum. They have everything on there just search it in the forums.

I move all my media to the sd card after downloading all of it and that's the only way I know how to keep my memory low for just apps. I download the movies, music and pics and move them to the sd card to save space. I don't know of any other way to save space.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast