PDAnet on AT&T Galaxy Note II

tomatte127

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Note II yesterday and I immediately installed PDAnet on it so that I could hook my laptop up, but it consistently gave me an error telling me to enable USB debugging. I verified that it was on and rebooted my phone, then plugged it back in. Still no luck.

Does anyone know of any existing problems with USB tethering on the AT&T Note II? Anyone else having the problem I'm having?

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi isn't supposed to work with JB (wifi), but it seems to. For me and a few others, it worked, stopped working, and then has been working the last few days (wifi). Several people posted it worked with bluetooth sharing. I don't remember if anyone has posted about it working with USB.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: PDAnet on AT&T Galaxy Note II

Why do you even need PDAnet?

Not trying to start an argument or anything but you should be able to "natively" use your Note 2 as a WiFi hotspot on AT&T. What, if anything, is the advantage of using PDAnet.

(As an aside, I have nothing against PDAnet. I used the Windows phone version many years ago when I had a Windows 6.x hone -- the AT&T HTC Fuze -- but since moving to Android, I have not needed it. But maybe we are talking about different programs.)

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to start an argument or anything but you should be able to "natively" use your Note 2 as a WiFi hotspot on AT&T. What, if anything, is the advantage of using PDAnet.

(As an aside, I have nothing against PDAnet. I used the Windows phone version many years ago when I had a Windows 6.x hone -- the AT&T HTC Fuze -- but since moving to Android, I have not needed it. But maybe we are talking about different programs.)

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone on ATT has the 5GB plan that lets you use a hotspot natively. The 3GB and and lower plans along with the "unlimited" plan don't let you tether without paying extra. So there are many people that may want to use PDANet or Foxfi.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Not everyone on ATT has the 5GB plan that lets you use a hotspot natively. The 3GB and and lower plans along with the "unlimited" plan don't let you tether without paying extra. So there are many people that may want to use PDANet or Foxfi.

Oh, okay.

Thank you. I honestly didn't know there were plans that did not include tethering; including the unlimited data plan. (For me, personally, I found that in most places, even airports, I was getting WiFi reception, so I didn't really need unlimited data but I recognize that is not the case for everyone.) And, yes, if I still had my unlimited data plan, I would definitely use PDAnet or Foxfi.

Victor R

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I'm confused. Can you tether without paying extra? What app? Natively? I am on ATT and I am grandfathered so I am unlimited. Thanks in advance

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

There are three ways to tether your phone's data connection to another device. Wifi (hotspot), bluetooth, and USB cable. The apps that let you tether without paying are very popular. Foxfi and PDANet are two popular apps for sharing your data. It seems that ATT can tell if you are tethering without paying and you may get a nasty text saying they will charge you if you do it more. I hardly ever tether (a few times a year) and I have never received the warning text. Foxfi worked for me, stopped working for a day or two, and then started again and has kept working. Foxfi supports wifi tethering which makes tethering very convenient. Bluetooth and USB cable tethering work great, but often require some work (program running or at least a little configuration).

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Oh, if you are trying to cheat the system AT&T has things in place to detect this and they have a variety of responses ranging from changing your plan, throttling, harassing text messages and closing your account on the worst ones.

The "I want to use my data any way I want" argument doesn't fly with AT&T, read those contracts.

It's like speeding or driving drunk, eventually there are going to be penalties.

rastaapopulous

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Have PdaNet working via usb tether unrooted on att note2. Foxfi bluetooth DUN working as well. Latter is slower option. Cant get wifi hotspot working either via foxfi or android wifi tether app (needs root) with att note2.

With pdanet ensure adb process isnt running on pc or mac. On mac ensure en2 or en3 (extra ethernet interface) is enabled and set to dhcp (details in pdanet faq).

I think the carriers should let us do rollover data. Otherwise many people dont use all the data the pay for each month.

G_nerd

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For the people who cant get pda net to connect. Once usb debugging is enabled and pda net is turned on. Connect your phone to computer via usb, select camera and install drivers. Once drivers are installed, Pda net becomes connectable.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi works just fine on note 2 and jellybean. What are you guys talking about? A friend and I both have GN2's and we both tried foxfi on a friends laptop. It worked perfectly. You just cant download it feom the playstore is all. I assume at Att request. I downloaded the newest update from foxfi/bin and installed the .apk. works like a charm.

Sent via Tapatalk

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
One option not mentioned above is loading a ROM with tethering enable natively.

Running CleanROM and tether with no problems using the native apps on the Note2.

jgonzz

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I was having driver issues with my Note 2 on Sprint when trying to use PdaNet (via USB) that I solved by using drivers from Samsung's official website.

I remembered with my old HTC Evo that I was able to just use the PdaNet wizard without downloading additional drivers. However with my new Note 2, I kept getting stuck at the drivers part during the PC software install! :mad: It wouldn't recognize my phone even though I selected Samsung as the phone manufacturer at the beginning of the wizard.

I went to Samsung's official website and got the driver for the Note 2 (SPH-L900) there. I installed it first, then I proceeded with the PdaNet installation. When the PdaNet wizard asked me what kind of phone I had, I said "Other" and continued on. The PC software is now finally able to recognize my phone again via USB.

If "Other" still doesn't work, try selecting "Samsung" again from the PdaNet wizard, but still install the official drivers that you got from the Samsung website first.

This is the product webpage I went to (valid as of Jan 29 2013): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ers%2Fproduct%2FSPH-L900TSASPR&token=-VtInwv2

Hope this helps.

darrol derrera

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Once the wifi spot starts, a screen pops up and says foxfi has stopped working and you have two options force stop and close i think is the second options. i select force stop and pda stays working. I am using android

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae