Adding Music, Ringtones and notification sounds on GN2 with SD Card

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there a specific way to add Music, Ringtones and Notification sounds on the GN2 using the SD Card only. No apps. Are there folders you add the items to? If someone knows the exact steps, would appreciate it if you could post them here.
Thank you in advance

inspectagadget1973

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Is there a specific way to add Music, Ringtones and Notification sounds on the GN2 using the SD Card only. No apps. Are there folders you add the items to? If someone knows the exact steps, would appreciate it if you could post them here.
Thank you in advance

Here's what I did.
1. Connect your phone to your computer using the cable it came with MTP. Or remove the sd card and put it in the sd adapter into the computer.
2. Go to file explorer on your computer and find the sd card.
3. Create folders named music, ringtones, and notifications.
4. Put the ringtones, notifications, and music in the appropriate folders using your pc.
Viola. Done.
Well, put the sd card back into your phone, then you're done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

RogerRockit

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Kies has actually worked well for me in this capacity so far. Not saying it would for everybody, my wife has a Samsung Captivate Glide and Kies won't even connect to it. The most reliable way is probably to do what previous poster said, just attach to computer and create folders, drag and drop.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how any one else did it. I just used the usb cord to set it all up. It was a simple file transfer.

Adding: well looked back and apparently I'm not very original. :eek:
Thank you in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I did.
1. Connect your phone to your computer using the cable it came with MTP. Or remove the sd card and put it in the sd adapter into the computer.
2. Go to file explorer on your computer and find the sd card.
3. Create folders named music, ringtones, and notifications.
4. Put the ringtones, notifications, and music in the appropriate folders using your pc.
Viola. Done.
Well, put the sd card back into your phone, then you're done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

How do you select the tone you want after creating the folders?

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Found a better way. Download from the market an app called AirDroid. It allows you to sync wirelessly with your computer and you can transfer files that way. The app will tell you exactly what to do.

Thank you in advance

VioletStarrs

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I like Kies, but prefer to upload music to the Kies library via Windows Media Player since it automatically recognizes the album, while Kies requires you to choose the correct one from a list. I've also made it so that any files put in that folder automatically go to Google Play as well.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
you actually have to make it a folder called media... in it should be the alarms, notifications, and ringtones sub folders
once you have that order, you go into the ringtone selector and then you can select any of the ringtones that you have transferred

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
you actually have to make it a folder called media... in it should be the alarms, notifications, and ringtones sub folders
once you have that order, you go into the ringtone selector and then you can select any of the ringtones that you have transferred

Hmmm.... I'll look again and see if there's s media folder.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
While I haven't tried this personally, I think the above posts are referring to creating the directory structure from the internal SD card on your external SD card. For example

Notification alerts on the internal SD are located in /media/audio/notifications so you should create that structure on your external SD card. Ringtones are located on /Ringtones.

I know that putting your files into these folders on the internal SD card work and you can select your new tones via the default Settings app. I just have not tried putting them on the external card.

Amanda Franks

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I am having g problems trying to set notification tones to my contacts, email, FB etc. It was letting me and know it just gives me my default ones not the o e's I downloade. Thanks in advance

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The correct answer was in fact given in this thread, post #9 I think… not sure why some people didn't see it. In any case, for future reference :

If you want your custom ringtone and notification sounds to appear in the default list your device shows you when you go to …

 Settings > Sound > Ringtones -and-
 Settings > Sound > Notifications

.. you just need to put them in the following folders :

   /Media/Ringtones
   /Media/Notifications

You'll usually see these folders referred to in all lowercase letters, for some reason, but they work just the same using first-letter caps as above, if you tend to be anal about that sort of thing.

Note that the names that will show on the lists will be the audio files' "real" names, as defined in their file properties (tags), meaning you'll only see the actual filename of an audio file appear on the lists if the file in question doesn't have a different name defined in its properties. So if you decide to name your current default ringtone something like "Ringtones – Default – May 2015.m4a" but that file's properties says its title is "Zedge.net-- 901417" for example, don't look for it under 'R' in the list of ringtone choices your device shows you, because it'll be under 'Z'.

Btw there are free tools to change audio files' data properties (tags) if you want… there's one for Windows I've kept around for years, lets you view the tags of every music file all at once like on a big spreadsheet, and allows you to do stuff like sort them by column ( i.e. by property) and bulk-modify a bunch of them at once. Don't know if it's still available but software aggregators like cnet probably still archive it. Called Mp3tag, just Google it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21