Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By inspectagadget1973
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Adding Music, Ringtones and notification sounds on GN2 with SD Card

Is there a specific way to add Music, Ringtones and Notification sounds on the GN2 using the SD Card only. No apps. Are there folders you add the items to? If someone knows the exact steps, would appreciate it if you could post them here.
    Thank you in advance

Default Re: Adding Music, Ringtones and notification sounds on GN2 with SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    Is there a specific way to add Music, Ringtones and Notification sounds on the GN2 using the SD Card only. No apps. Are there folders you add the items to? If someone knows the exact steps, would appreciate it if you could post them here.
    Thank you in advance
    Here's what I did.
    1. Connect your phone to your computer using the cable it came with MTP. Or remove the sd card and put it in the sd adapter into the computer.
    2. Go to file explorer on your computer and find the sd card.
    3. Create folders named music, ringtones, and notifications.
    4. Put the ringtones, notifications, and music in the appropriate folders using your pc.
    Viola. Done.
    Well, put the sd card back into your phone, then you're done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    RogerRockit likes this.

Samsung Kies has actually worked well for me in this capacity so far. Not saying it would for everybody, my wife has a Samsung Captivate Glide and Kies won't even connect to it. The most reliable way is probably to do what previous poster said, just attach to computer and create folders, drag and drop.

Not sure how any one else did it. I just used the usb cord to set it all up. It was a simple file transfer.

Adding: well looked back and apparently I'm not very original. :o
    Thank you in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by inspectagadget1973 View Post
    Here's what I did.
    1. Connect your phone to your computer using the cable it came with MTP. Or remove the sd card and put it in the sd adapter into the computer.
    2. Go to file explorer on your computer and find the sd card.
    3. Create folders named music, ringtones, and notifications.
    4. Put the ringtones, notifications, and music in the appropriate folders using your pc.
    Viola. Done.
    Well, put the sd card back into your phone, then you're done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    How do you select the tone you want after creating the folders?

Found a better way. Download from the market an app called AirDroid. It allows you to sync wirelessly with your computer and you can transfer files that way. The app will tell you exactly what to do.

Thank you in advance

Lightbulb Re: Adding Music, Ringtones and notification sounds on GN2 with SD Card

I like Kies, but prefer to upload music to the Kies library via Windows Media Player since it automatically recognizes the album, while Kies requires you to choose the correct one from a list. I've also made it so that any files put in that folder automatically go to Google Play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ska916jedi View Post
    How do you select the tone you want after creating the folders?
    Still looking for an answer

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

you actually have to make it a folder called media... in it should be the alarms, notifications, and ringtones sub folders
    once you have that order, you go into the ringtone selector and then you can select any of the ringtones that you have transferred

Quote Originally Posted by MrGalione973 View Post
    you actually have to make it a folder called media... in it should be the alarms, notifications, and ringtones sub folders
    once you have that order, you go into the ringtone selector and then you can select any of the ringtones that you have transferred
    Hmmm.... I'll look again and see if there's s media folder.

I just emailed myself the file that I want to put on my phone.. am I overlooking something.

While I haven't tried this personally, I think the above posts are referring to creating the directory structure from the internal SD card on your external SD card. For example

Notification alerts on the internal SD are located in /media/audio/notifications so you should create that structure on your external SD card. Ringtones are located on /Ringtones.

I know that putting your files into these folders on the internal SD card work and you can select your new tones via the default Settings app. I just have not tried putting them on the external card.

I know this is an old thread but it might still be useful to add to it.

For alarms you will need to also add an alarms folder.

I am having g problems trying to set notification tones to my contacts, email, FB etc. It was letting me and know it just gives me my default ones not the o e's I downloade. Thanks in advance