Note 2 vs HTC DNA

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
What are you talking about when u say external to internal swap? I also have a 64gb sd card but the way you describe it seems like I might be able to install apps on it. Is this what you mean?
yes there is a way, acutally two ways that i know. You have to be rooted. The easiest way is once rooted there is a simple zip file that you flash in recovery and it swaps your internal (10 or so left) with whatever memory card you have) works smooth. I have been running it this way for a while and can not put all my games on it. It essentially turns your 16gb Note 2 into a 64gb Note 2 Havent noticed any slow downs in game loading or playing either

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
LOL it is what it is. If the Dna had 64gb or even 32gb storage it would be a tougher decision. To me the Note has eliminated the constant carrying of two devices. Still do at times but dont have the need to

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Games dont get stored in RAM. The internal memory of the Note right now is 16gb only of which 10 or so are availbable for use. After Spiderman, Batman, Nova 2 and Dead Trigger thats about it. By using the external to internal swap i now have 64gb internal. I was just saying with no memory card slot thats not even possible on the DNA

What do you mean by external to internal swap?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
It essentially seeks the phones built in memory with your memory card. The way it it's now you only have about 10 gb usable on a 16gb Note. This really isn't an issue if you don't play a lot of games. Now that Android games are getting bigger and better, and not being able to move to your sd card, the storage runs out quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Lol you know what I mean and I didn't even notice this was a note 2 forum but I thought by now some one would say but the DNA has a 1080p screen blah blah lol

Sent from my PC36100

Because 1080p is completely unnecessary....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I had a OneX, the display was nothing short of drop dead gorgeous and very close and similar to the DNA. I have to be very clear about this. I had cataract surgery and I have incredible vision now, my eyes are critical to me.
Its not important how we view the necessity of 1080 displays, rather its how the GN2 correlates t9 the LCD 2 or LCD 3 displays, and clearly the GN2 g8ves them a real run for the money.
Secondly, the GN2 is feature packed with benefits that are awesome. There isnt a phone on the market that can shake its ass the same way.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a OneX, the display was nothing short of drop dead gorgeous and very close and similar to the DNA. I have to be very clear about this. I had cataract surgery and I have incredible vision now, my eyes are critical to me.
Its not important how we view the necessity of 1080 displays, rather its how the GN2 correlates t9 the LCD 2 or LCD 3 displays, and clearly the GN2 g8ves them a real run for the money.
Secondly, the GN2 is feature packed with benefits that are awesome. There isnt a phone on the market that can shake its ass the same way.

And baby certainly got back...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

yearn2burn

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Advantages I see

I have a DNA. I have a month to test it before deciding. Things I like are
1) The screen - not just resolution, but also brightness and color accuracy.
2) The look and feel. The way the glass wraps around the sides is really slick, the quality of the buttons are great with a milled metal look, and the back has a soft but easily gripped feel. Feels good to hold, and for me, not a problem with one hand.
3) The size. Although the specs show it as thicker than the N2, that is only in the very middle. It tapers top, bottom and sides. That makes a big difference in how it feels and how it looks in a pocket. It is actually less visible in my pocket than my wife's iPhone 4. The N2 is much more visible, and I think in a front pocket would occasionally stick you in the hip if you squat. The DNA is short enough that it stays concealed in most shirt pockets, just barely. The N2 sticks out about a cm. In other words, the DNA just stays under a size threshold for really easy pocketability, enhanced by its "physiologically" curved back.
4) After using the interface a while, I really like it. Of course it's smooth without any stutters, but it's also quite functional. I like the way you can turn the permanent launch buttons into folders, so you can keep your most used apps really handy. And you can access all that from the lock screen. I tried that on N2 and can't duplicate. I love the weather lock screen. Only thing I don't like is that it can only show 8 recent apps in a needlessly overblown "album view" format. Miss access to 15 recent apps on my T-bolt with CM7. Also, the notifications in general on the N2 seem a lot better. I like the CM7 type power widgets at the top of the N2 notifications which aren't there on the DNA, although they're only a click away, so not bad.

Things I don't like:
1) The battery is so-so. Much better than T-bolt, but not more than 13-14 hours of relatively light use. I would have sacrificed a little more girth for more battery. It was only an issue once when I was going from work directly to the Falcons-Saints game and had to worry about charging it somewhere. Interestingly, I found that when I don't have time to charge the phone, it's because I'm too busy to play much, and I end up not needing to charge it anyway.
2) Storage as has been discussed to death. I'm waiting to see what happens over the month. When I look at my old T-bolt, I think most of the memory use was from backups on a rooted phone. I might be OK as I'm not a big gamer.
3) At least on mine, the camera is pretty lackluster. Nice features, but images aren't very sharp. Dynamic range is not nearly as good as iPhone 5. I took a photo with it and the DNA in the store and an illuminated phone on display was just whited out on the DNA where it was fine on the iPhone 5 with otherwise similar exposure. It seemed the N2 was at least a little better in sharpness in the store, though I didn't compare the dynamic range.

What I'm hoping is that there will be an upcoming hardware mod to add an SD card to the DNA, turning it effectively into a J-Butterfly. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...230676-htc-dna-disassembly-teardown-done.html

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I read online that verizon was banking on the dna being a hit but realisticly other than 1080p screen what does it have that is better?

Just to add some perspective, and NOT to try and start an arguement....

The DNA has more then 1080p in it's arsenal...

First, it's more compact, and certainly, some people may prefer carrying around a phone that's closer to typical cell phone size, then being closer to a tablet size. Packing a 5" screen into a phone that's the same size, or just slightly larger then the S3 or other phones with smaller screens is somewhat impressive.

The screen is SICK! You really need to see it to understand just how nice 440 ppi is... for comparison, the iPhone retina display has 326 ppi, and people went bonkers over that screen! Gorilla Glass wraps around the edges, giving it a very smooth, sleek look and feel.

The DNA is fast, with Quadrant scores over 8,000! The phone doesn't stutter, doesn't skip a beat when swiping through home screens, launching apps, browsing....

I really just enjoy high tech devices, and went and played around with a Note2, checked out the Samsung Galaxy S3... I love checking out new devices, whether I'm ready to purchase them or not. I really considered the Note 2, but for MY needs, it seemed it'd be a bit of a hassle to carry around. The only devices I personally am not into are iPhones, but that's just me...

Battery life has lasted well through a full day, even with heavy use. No, it won't get me two, three days, but I don't have a problem charging my devices overnight. Built in inductive charging also makes charging a simple matter of laying your phone on an inductive pad... no more plugging in a charge cable (every new Smart Phone should have this built in!)

One potential problem IS memory, and it's simply ridiculous that HTC limits the DNA to 16GB internal memory, and no micro SD card! Usable is slightly over 11 GB, again, rather ridiculous.

However, and again, this is for MY personal usage and needs, on my previous phone, I checked, and saw that I was using about 9GB of memory. I honestly don't view movies on a cell phone (I have a tablet for that, or more often, watch on a television), and music can be stored on Googles cloud, although, I listen to talk radio much more then music on my phone.

The Note 2 is an unbelievable device, as those on this board know, and kudos to Samsung for expanding what we all thought a smart phone should be! (size wise, and the inclusion of a stylus). Not trying to convert anyone, just bringing a little perspective.

DNA may not bring the paradigm shifting changes to smart phones that the Note has, but it's more then simply 1080p.

Hope this post doesn't create an argument, as it wasn't written to piss anyone off....

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had the note 2 for only two weeks but I have yet to find something I don't like. So find a device that makes you forget about all others. I seriously feel spoiled with this thing.

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a DNA. I have a month to test it before deciding. Things I like are
1) The screen - not just resolution, but also brightness and color accuracy.
2) The look and feel. The way the glass wraps around the sides is really slick, the quality of the buttons are great with a milled metal look, and the back has a soft but easily gripped feel. Feels good to hold, and for me, not a problem with one hand.
3) The size. Although the specs show it as thicker than the N2, that is only in the very middle. It tapers top, bottom and sides. That makes a big difference in how it feels and how it looks in a pocket. It is actually less visible in my pocket than my wife's iPhone 4. The N2 is much more visible, and I think in a front pocket would occasionally stick you in the hip if you squat. The DNA is short enough that it stays concealed in most shirt pockets, just barely. The N2 sticks out about a cm. In other words, the DNA just stays under a size threshold for really easy pocketability, enhanced by its "physiologically" curved back.
4) After using the interface a while, I really like it. Of course it's smooth without any stutters, but it's also quite functional. I like the way you can turn the permanent launch buttons into folders, so you can keep your most used apps really handy. And you can access all that from the lock screen. I tried that on N2 and can't duplicate. I love the weather lock screen. Only thing I don't like is that it can only show 8 recent apps in a needlessly overblown "album view" format. Miss access to 15 recent apps on my T-bolt with CM7. Also, the notifications in general on the N2 seem a lot better. I like the CM7 type power widgets at the top of the N2 notifications which aren't there on the DNA, although they're only a click away, so not bad.

Things I don't like:
1) The battery is so-so. Much better than T-bolt, but not more than 13-14 hours of relatively light use. I would have sacrificed a little more girth for more battery. It was only an issue once when I was going from work directly to the Falcons-Saints game and had to worry about charging it somewhere. Interestingly, I found that when I don't have time to charge the phone, it's because I'm too busy to play much, and I end up not needing to charge it anyway.
2) Storage as has been discussed to death. I'm waiting to see what happens over the month. When I look at my old T-bolt, I think most of the memory use was from backups on a rooted phone. I might be OK as I'm not a big gamer.
3) At least on mine, the camera is pretty lackluster. Nice features, but images aren't very sharp. Dynamic range is not nearly as good as iPhone 5. I took a photo with it and the DNA in the store and an illuminated phone on display was just whited out on the DNA where it was fine on the iPhone 5 with otherwise similar exposure. It seemed the N2 was at least a little better in sharpness in the store, though I didn't compare the dynamic range.

What I'm hoping is that there will be an upcoming hardware mod to add an SD card to the DNA, turning it effectively into a J-Butterfly. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...230676-htc-dna-disassembly-teardown-done.html

There are no contacts from what I understand from a previous teardown. It is gonna have to be a he'll of a mod

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

yearn2burn

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
The OP for that thread said it's a mini-board that also contains the camera, shown at the bottom of page one. Would be a part theretofore made specifically for J-Butterfly, but probably would pop right in. Would also require the J-Butterfly back which doesn't taper in at the top like the the DNA. The SD reader is a combo drive with micro-SIM and micro-SD, so would also require a new sim card. His guestimate was $60 for parts, and guessed we would be seeing such a mod in about a month. Obviously lots of question marks on that one, but interesting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21