What Wifi Router would best compliment GN2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I have a failing router Linksys WRT300N, and am looking to replace it with something that would compliment my Galaxy Note2. Especially get rid of the You Tube buffering that occurs only on wifi. I have LTE in my area on AT&T.
I have researched several review sites but reports are "conflicting and confusing".
Here is what I'm looking at:
Asus RT A66-U
Netgear R 6300
Linksys Cisco EA 6500
I have absolutely -0- experience with routers and was hopeful to find some guidance from one of the seasoned members of this forum so I can make a intelligent decision.
Thank you in advance

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a huge Linksys fan, however, since Cisco took over, not so much anymore.

All three boxes -
Linksys and Netgear - N900 - (one that simultaneously provides 450Mbps Wireless-N speed on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands) plus it supports 802.11ac clients on the 5GHz band.
However, your Note 2 does not support 802.11ac, so that should not be a deciding factor.:cool:
USB connectivity for Mass Network Storage options (NAS)

Linksys Cisco EA 6500 -
You must have a Cisco Connect Cloud account to use the router, meaning you have a constant connection to Cisco. If you ever plan to use this as an offline router just to do local networking, this will be a problem.
Cisco has both online and app interfaces for administration. From what I have seen and read, the firmware is still a bit buggy and has some loopholes, but I'm sure they will button that up with the next firmware update.
Short range it scores quite well speed wise with the 802.11ac protocol, however with range, the speed boost fades.
Cisco has moved the company toward a more proprietary setup versus open standards, for this reason, I have stepped away from their product lines.

NetGear R6300 WiFi Router -
Can only be administered while connected to the local network via the mobile app, desktop software, or web interface. I don't really see this as a bad thing, there isn't anyone reaching in from the outside to spoof the box.
The range on this router is scoring among the top listed, data speeds are not dropping with range like the Cisco.

Asus RT-N66U -
Does not support 802.11ac
Print server options - MicroSD card reader - (not found in the other two models)
This router has some advanced feature sets that are not available in the other two models, it all depends on what you are going to use it for and if you are going to be looking at some of these or not.
Huge complaints of being quite buggy on the firmware side, even after the recent update.
There are a few tweaks in the Admin section that need to be enabled for backward compatibility setup with older devices.

Here is a side by side rundown from CNET - Found Here

Bottom line in my opinion would be the NetGear, it seems to be the best versed in performance and features. Keep your receipt no matter which way you go, there are reports of all three platforms having some issues, you may have to swap it out.
Hope this helps.....

Last edited:

spddy

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
When my linksys went out, i purchased a airport extreme(apple). Though not an apple fan. i found it to be real easy to use and set up

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I may get laughed at for this, but I purchased an Apple AirPort Extreme as well and it is an awesome wireless router. Especially when paired with my AirPort Express to extend the range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had the older version of the N600 for a few years (WNDR3700). Great range, really fast, can share USB drives, DLNA, excellent security, and most important - it's never failed. I had to power cycle it once but I blame that on the cable modem going crazy.
The Linksys it replaced needed to be reset monthly.