Pop-up Browser or Regular?

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Initially, when opening a page on the internet or a web page link in an e-mail, there was the option to open it in a pop-up window or something else, I guess a regular full-size page? Apparently I selected the pop-up but it's kindof a pain because you then have to "click" again expand it before it's useable. I can't seem to find where I can go back and change the setting to see if I'd rather use the alternative. Any ideas? Thanks!

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding, piizzadude. But hate to admit, I can't find it. Which Settings do I start with? I tried the "main" settings on the home screen (?) but don't see an "apps" category; also went to Settings from the Internet screen; under Advanced I found Reset to Default but that didn't change the pop-up browser always appearing. I'm not *totally* tech-impaired but I'm closer to that end of the continuum than the other. . . .

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually no, you are in the wrong place. Go to your home screen with no apps open, then go in the phone settings, look for applications.... And follow the instructions above from there

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yzygaqes.jpg

This is what you should see when you go into the main phone settings. You should see application manager in there somewhere

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
y7a8a4yj.jpg

you want to make sure that you scroll all the way over until ALL is highlighted at the top of the screen.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
u3ysu7u3.jpg

I used Dolphin just as an example, you want to find the browser you use by default and tap it. You will then see this screen

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
vunysy2e.jpg

scroll down until you see the defaults button lit up. just hit clear defaults on it from there and you should be good to go

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
OK, thanks again for your patience! I'm pretty sure I found it and did the "clear defaults" but when I click on a link in an e-mail, it still opens with a pop-up that needs to be expanded. Am I just imagining that I had a choice initially?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ok then look for the email app and do the same thing. You and I have different phones but the same version of TW so it should work right. Mine does. When I click on a link in an email, it opens the browser. What are you using for email.

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Aarrrrgggghhhhh! OK, I did it. There are 3 icons for e-mail in there, one has an "@" on it called "Email" and two with an "M" that say Gmail. Only the first Gmail icon's settings let me clear defaults - the other two said "no defaults set." My incoming e-mail goes into the "E-Mail" icon altho I have a Gmail address and both icons in the Apps pages (drawer?) - actually I've been wondering why that is. . . .

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I know it is stupid.

It seems like there is the stock Gmail app, a TW email app and a generic email app. I have hidden most of them. I was gonna just uninstall them but not sure which controls sync so I just left them.

Is it all working right now?

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Uh, no. Got so carried away with describing exactly what I found and what I did that I forgot to say that when I open a link in an e-mail I still get the popup browser. S-i-g-h. . . .

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ok go back to where we were and clear everything on the popup browser and the popupuireciever and that should do the trick...worked for me. let me know if it works for you

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Misery enjoys company? At least now I know I'm not totally crazy. I do appreciate this forum and your patience with those of us who need your help! This is my first Android - have had BlackBerries for years - so along with being not-that-geek-minded, I'm more than a little overwhelmed by the differences with Android *and* all the cool things my Note II can do!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I so wanted to go the note route, but i just didnt see that I needed all that the note does. my SGS3 does everything well.

I loved my BB but that was years ago and smartphones like we have them now were just a pipe dream. I feel bad for RIM, they had the world and messed it up

Did you see my solution?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
as far as helping, it is my pleasure, I like doing it. keeps me focused on my work when I get to flip back and forth between this and that.

i develop software and want to start some Android development, but I have to learn the ins and outs first. This is a good primer

ReginaLiz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, somehow I had missed your solution and it worked! (Happy dance!!) Many thanks!
Yes, I feel bad for RIM too. I did like my BBs a lot but the screen was starting to fail on my Torch; everything they had to offer now seemed so outdated - and I couldn't wait for the next great thing they're supposed to have early next year.
I tried to talk myself into the SGIII but I'd caught a bad case of "tablet envy" after seeing one too many - getting the Note II has cured that and saved me $$ in the long run.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks again for your help! And I learned something in the process too - had never even gone into the Application Manager before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888