Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy note 2 turn off by itself

Hi All,

I have my galaxy note 2 for about 3 weeks. last week the phone turned off by itself... kept pressing the power button and the phone seemed dead (screen completely black); so I had to take out and put back on the battery.
    Today I had the same issue... pressed all the buttons and no sign of life. I had to remove and put back on the battery

I am getting concern that this might be a defective phone?
    Has anyone experienced this??

What should I do?

any opinion counts
    Thanks in advanced

-W

Default Re: Galaxy note 2 turn off by itself

Quote Originally Posted by wasaland View Post
    Hi All,

I have my galaxy note 2 for about 3 weeks. last week the phone turned off by itself... kept pressing the power button and the phone seemed dead (screen completely black); so I had to take out and put back on the battery.
    Today I had the same issue... pressed all the buttons and no sign of life. I had to remove and put back on the battery

I am getting concern that this might be a defective phone?
    Has anyone experienced this??

What should I do?

any opinion counts
    Thanks in advanced

-W
    Try a factory reset, after you back up everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

A similar thing happen to me to. I find that's my galaxy note 2 after having it for 2 weeks it started randomly rebooting on it's own like 5-7 times throughout the day. It happened shortly after I installed avast! Antivirus and antitheft from the Google play store. So I uninstall it but the random reboot still occurred so I did a factory reset. The random reboot only happens 1-2 times a day now but it also shuts off on it's own 2-3 times a day so the problem is even worse because I don't know the phone is off for so long till I check it. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it since the reset didn't work. I had the phone for 3-4 weeks so now I have to try the ATT warranty stores.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

^

yeah, I think the best thing to do now is to go back to where you bought it (in my case bestbuy) and ask for a replacement device
    hoping that it will not happen again... it seems that this problem only happen to very few ppl

question now, I downloaded a lot of apps and customize my GN2 to my liking, if I happen to get a new device and don't want to redo everything, is there a way to back up everything (like save a backup file) and once I have a new device use that file to restore everything?

I think it has something to do with BT.
    I have the phone for 2 weeks now and it has done this 2 times.
    Both times I was in my car.
    First Time - Trying to make a call using BT
    Second Time - Phone was idle but was connected to the car BT.

Try turning OFF BT for a a couple of days....and if that makes the issue go away, we can report this back to Samsung and get a FW fix.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So it happened again just now, the phone is not completely off because I had a couple of messages and missed calls the the status LED was blinking...
    I tried pressing and holding the lock, home, volume buttons and screen was all black/dark
    I even tried calling from another phone to my phone and it will go to voice mail... my GN2 will not even show the call
    its getting frustrating

I've had the same problem happen to me. Its turned off on me 3 to 4 times a day and can only be rebooted once I've removed and reinstalled the battery. I think it is a bt problem too because it only happens when it's connected to blue tooth. Verizon warrantied it for me though and gave me a brand new device and today this brand new device when connected to blue tooth just turned off on me again..?.has anyone found a fix ? Turning off blue tooth doesn't work for me I need it for hands free driving

Quote Originally Posted by girlatny View Post
    A similar thing happen to me to. I find that's my galaxy note 2 after having it for 2 weeks it started randomly rebooting on it's own like 5-7 times throughout the day. It happened shortly after I installed avast! Antivirus and antitheft from the Google play store. So I uninstall it but the random reboot still occurred so I did a factory reset. The random reboot only happens 1-2 times a day now but it also shuts off on it's own 2-3 times a day so the problem is even worse because I don't know the phone is off for so long till I check it. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it since the reset didn't work. I had the phone for 3-4 weeks so now I have to try the ATT warranty stores.
    OMG my Note 2 turned "off" TWICE today a couple of hours apart about an hour or so after installing an Avast update from the Play Store! It's gotta be the culprit!! And when I tried turning it back on nothing happened, it wouldn't turn on. I had to do a soft restet (pressong and holding the power button for about 10 seconds) and it turned on. I'm going to sideload the last version of Avast since this NEVER happened ONCE before installing the Avast update today.. This totally freaked me out when it happened both times, I thought I might of had a defective phone or something but it didnt really make sense since I've had this phone for over a month now and this has never happened.. I will post back if it happens again or not.. Hopefully it won't Thanks

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have never had mine just shutdown or reset itself, I would try a factory reset, if that doesn't solve it I would try to get a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

BTT...Starting to get a little annoyed with random reboots.

It didn't start happening until the last few days...now it's happening 2-3 times per day. And it's not because of Avast! because I don't even use that or have it installed. Not sure what's going on, but I hate the idea of a factory reset and having to reinstall and reconfigure everything.

Anyone have any knowledge of any other rogue programs out there that are known to cause this?

wow what is up around here with Avast.
    Xiphone users you don't need to use such software on Android lol , It does more bad then good dump it asap..

Not sure what up with the reboot issue some are having.
    Since release day Ive ran stock , 3 custom roms , Some ports , madmack CM10 build ,different kernels having no reboot issue.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II

I agree it is a phone defect.The only problem is that Samsung,Bell and Worldlynx do not think this problem is a phone defect.Until there is a test any smartphone dealer can give to prove to either to manufacturers or consumers that this is a bona fida defect,they will continue to deny the problem.

Did the store provide a replacement? I bought a Note 2 from sprint that has been doing the same thing. I tried a factory reset, but the problem persists. I am hoping this is covered under warranty. Kind of an expensive brick if not...

I have problems with my note 2 it turns off by itself and doesn't come back on unless y removed battery

I also face the same problem with my galaxy note 2. The phone switch off automaticallyand can never switch on again. I have try remove battery so many times but still the same. This is the first time happen and I dunno what to..

Having the same problem on my N7100. shutting down once in a day, sometimes even twice a day. power key not working. I have to remov battery to make it work again.
    Not using BT or Avast. Guess its a problem with the Note 2.

My phone went dead today too. I have tried everything possible. Pressed and held the power button for 10/20/30 seconds, took out the battery, put it on charge, and even press all the keys. There is a red light that keeps blinking in the LED indicator every 5 seconds but is extremely low and will not be noticed unless staring at the device real close.

Can anyone please help me. I don't know what to do. And yeah, I was connected to the Bluetooth the last time this happened. The device has given me problems with bluetooth previously too. My old HTC would never have issues connecting to my Ford.

Hi,
    I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T-Mobile. I exchanged it for new one. After 3 days it was the same problem, so I exchanged it for third one. Next day after exchange the third phone does the same thing, won't turn on after idle mode about 4 times a day. I still have a warranty. I am gonna take different model. I will never go back to Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T-Mobile any more.

hi, I faced the same issue of my note 2 shutting off on its own and cannot switch on again although I removed the battery, press and hold the buttons. Any clues on this problem?? Thanks

I not only get the unresponsive crash, but also pulling down notifications sometimes turns off the device. I also note the phone slow. I do not know if I have adefective phone, or a bad android/app configuration.

Is there a way to troubleshoot these issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Angry Re: Galaxy note 2 turn off by itself

I literally unboxed my new Note II from AT&T bought from Amazon Wireless 4 hours, started installing apps, including Clean Fonts and Gothic Fonts, changed the default font on my system. I was happily playing with my new phone on Bluetooth headphones and during my software update - my phone looked like it was shutting down on purpose and it seemed dead with the LED up top lit in blue. I'm uninstalling those fonts, hoping to see if this is the culprit. I'll let you know. I dunno...very sad now as I am a new Droid user.

It's not the BT, I haven't used it for 2 days. Yesterday my phone didn't turn off at all, worked like charm. To day hee has turned off 2 times but I wasn't using BT, but I was listening too music trough the speaker and after few minutes playing in both times my note rebooted by it self ; (

I'm starting to see a number of these reports cropping up regarding either random shutdowns or reboots. Unfortunately, from what I've read so far no one seems to have a clue as to what is going on yet.

same here. i just switched from iPhone to gn2 and replaced my first gn2 with another thanks to the good folks at my local at&t shop. after the replacement, everything worked well and was smooth.

today i decided to manually check for software updates and let my gn2 download the 178mb multi-window update. after the update, i'm back to the note rebooting randomly, especially when i enter my home (when the note switches from cell data to wifi). it reboots when i turn wifi off, and sometimes when i turn it back on.

can you guys keep an eye out on this? watch your phone when you enter your home wifi area when coming in from the cell network. the reboots, hangups, crashes, etc. weren't happening for me prior to this update.

unbelievable. i've spent three weeks just trying to get this phone up and working. no wonder so many people swear by apple stuff. it works.

Yup mine does the same thing.. When ever I connect to wifi it stays on but when I switch it back to the network data it freezes and then shuts down and reboots... Whats going on... Getting really annoying. . I have the galaxy note 2 on us cellular network. I have the latest software update as well..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast