Text Message Count Doesn't Go Away

jvak55

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Happens on my Note 2 as well. Usually, I can get rid of it by pulling down the notifications bar and clearing it from there. Other times, that doesn't even work and I have to do a restart.

Same here, only started after last update.
Usually the restart is what works for me after clearing from the pull down menu.

mikey00843

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
i also have the same problem with the number counter staying on after deleating my texts. i have tryed many options too but as soon as i open email app and close it with out checking anything this problem for me goes away seems like its tied into the email somehow.

carrinamarie

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
For me, I was in the process of deleting all text messages and received a message before the delete was finished. This caused the icon to appear in the top notification bar and a 1 to appear over my message box. I do not have badger or a third party messaging app. I did not want to hard reset my phone and none of the other suggestions removed the indicators. What worked for me was this:
Open messaging app.
Use menu button and select "search"
I then searched for the message that I knew was causing the indicator. (My notification settings were set to preview the message on the notification bar at the top of screen. I could then see the first few words of the text that was "unread")
Once I found the message I selected it and deleted message.
Indicator disappeared from notification var and 1 was gone from the message app.

I hope this helps.

Mike Stephans

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I just fixed this for a friends phone,

He was using the default messenger app. I changed the default app to google hangouts
by going into hangouts>settings>enable merged conversations(not sure this part is necessary)
settings>SMS>SMS disabled (select this to make messenger the default app)
I was then able to see a message from an unknown sender, the message did not show in the default app. it was a friends txt that for some reason did not format properly.
I was able to delete the message. then changed the settings back. the indicator was reset now.

gr2010

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Dear Mr. Mike Stephans,

Many thanks for posting the solution. It worked well and I do not see the 1 indicator in SMS icon which was annoying. I did exactly as you said and the indicator disappeared.

With Best Wishes,

Ravi

FashionLove

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I finally figured out the fix for group text messages with the date December, 31, 1969 that will not delete.
Open settings > application manager > select each one of your messenger apps > clear data and clear cache > disable application > restart phone > open the one messenger app you want to use > set as default > erase all messages. They should never come back. If you have more than one messenger on your phone, do this with each application. You have to have the app set as your default to erase the messages so this works. Took me an hour but they're finally gone.

Stan Wheeler

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else see this, when I get a text message and read it and/or reply and done with it, my text message icon still has a 1 in it and my blue led keeps flashing as if I didn't check it, I know it's not a big deal but the only way I can clear it is to delete that message or the entire thread. Anyone else seeing this problem?
I have an Android Turbo 2 I've cleaned all my messages and still reading 21 what do I do now

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikezorander

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site
I was having this problem where the messaging icon would always have the little red dot on it indicating an unread message but it would stay there even after I had read and deleted all the messages in my inbox/conversation list.
After playing around, I discovered that I had received a new message from a blocked contact. Going through the menu icon in the top left, down to Block opened up the new screen with the message from the blocked contact. I deleted it and the red dot on my messaging icon on the home screen went away.
Kind of stupid really. The point of blocking a number is to not see or hear from them. A bit pointless if the phone still receives the message and just stores it in a hidden folder and still lets you know it's there :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781