[AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok my ATT GN2 friends is it time to root?
The answer is yes if you want the latest & greatest android user experience because ATT etc carriers sure is heck aren't going to make it happen anytime soon.

Is rooting hard to do?
No its very easy.

What does rooting do for me?
It allows you to install custom roms with the most up to date base , No bloatware that slows OS function , customization , Themes , tweaks etc on your device.
So basically make device you spent lots of money on truly yours.

Whats the danger of rooting....will it void my warranty?
There is No danger in rooting because restore tar is available that holds factory out of the box OS so If you need to take device in for service simply Odin stock tar warranty isn't void.

Now lets get down to business :)

(ROOT FOR WINDOW USERS)
Follow steps below in order , If you have any questions....get lost or confused feel free to ask for help.
After 2 steps below are complete you are truly free to enjoy what your device has to offer.

Step #1 - Rooting:
Direction & files needed to root device - [2012.12.04][SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

Step #2 - Recovery:
You have two recovery choices

TWRP & CWM method. I highly recommended TWRP method because of its ease of use.

1st choice TWRP Method:
Install TWRP recovery using goomanager watch how to video- https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.s0up.goomanager&hl=en&token=qdmM1Z7e

2nd choice CWM Method:
Follow direction in link - [HOWTO] Installing CWM recovery on Note II - xda-developers

(ROOT FOR MAC USERS)
This method uses CWM as recovery.
Rooting - How to Root Galaxy Note 2 on Mac OSX! | Galaxy Note 2 Root!

After complete you can install TWRP over top , It can be done using goomanager Watch video how to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.s0up.goomanager&hl=en&token=qdmM1Z7e

After complete you are now ready for flashing action!

Some Safety rules:
1)ALWAYS MAKE RECOVERY BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING.
2)Only flash roms & tweaks that are modified for are version of device. Many of those can be found at XDA ATT GN2 forums
AT&T Galaxy Note II Android Development - xda-developers

Enjoy & dont flash drunk :confused:

Phil-

Last edited:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: ***How To Root***

Thanks and great job on posting this. I'm sure it will be helpful the way you wrote it, as it was when you told me.

Thanks again!

Sent from Note II using Tapatalk 2

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I am now announced that my Note 2 is rooted/flashed with cleanROM 3.3. It's fast!

Big thanks to the OP for references.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Congrats! You will love clean! It's a great replacement for the stock on with speed, features and stability. I know I do, and I don't have to fight with att and Samsung any longer

MRBULLRED

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

I have At&t I317. Which file would I use I317 or I317m?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

iDrummer3

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I decided to finally root last night. Rooted with Odin and installed CWM Recovery. Now I'm running CleanROM 3.3 ([ROM][12/15] CleanROM 3.3 -★| Aroma! | JB 4.1.2! | Multi-View! | Fast! | Clean! |★- - xda-developers) and Lidroid 15 Toggle Mod V2 (forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986932)

Rom is smooth as the stock OS and has very nice installer to help you add or omit what you want. Also improves the already amazing battery life. Havent charged phone in almost 24 hours. When I rooted last night (aroubd 10 P.M. CST) it was 70% and its just now at 30%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-18-20-22-21.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-18-20-22-21.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_2012-12-18-20-21-02.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-18-20-21-02.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2012-12-18-20-33-12.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-18-20-33-12.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 58

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Drummer, the only thing that makes it even easier is goomanager. It totally takes the struggle (at least for me) out of flashing, backing up and more. In to of that, sling box in his great wisdom had me flash a kernel yesterday that not only patched the vulnerability, but also sped the device up and it appears to have increased battery life "even more"! I was at 75% when I did the flash and almost 14 hours later, I'm only at 46% after watching YouTube videos for an hour at least, along with Facebook and other activities.

So if slingbox wants to share that would be up to him. I don't want to overstep his graciousness. Not to mention, he knows much more by far than I do.

Razzii

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

By looks of root direction it should work on mac.
Give it a try & post results please

I tried to download the file but it doesn't run on MAC, however "galaxynote2root.com" has a way for mac computers. Havent tried it yet, however am just thinking ill root my phone on my windows desktop. Much Easier. I'll Feedback what happens!!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Drummer, the only thing that makes it even easier is goomanager. It totally takes the struggle (at least for me) out of flashing, backing up and more. In to of that, sling box in his great wisdom had me flash a kernel yesterday that not only patched the vulnerability, but also sped the device up and it appears to have increased battery life "even more"! I was at 75% when I did the flash and almost 14 hours later, I'm only at 46% after watching YouTube videos for an hour at least, along with Facebook and other activities.

So if slingbox wants to share that would be up to him. I don't want to overstep his graciousness. Not to mention, he knows much more by far than I do.
Thanks for the positive feedback very glad Ive been able to get you on track getting the most out of your GN2.

Both recovery methods are great.
CWM-"Clockworkmod" recovery is an option Ive used for years yet not as user friendly as TWRP-"Team Win Recovery Project"
For newbes...especially those coming from iphone I feel TWRP is the best choice.

TWRP is Touch based unlike CWM which navigates menus with the volume rocker.
TWRP user interface is simple to understand which makes it easier to use providing more detailed info and with that come less chance of mistakes being made when flashing.

I will post CWM info for those that like to go that rout.....also some Mac flash option so all bases are covered

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to download the file but it doesn't run on MAC, however "galaxynote2root.com" has a way for mac computers. Havent tried it yet, however am just thinking ill root my phone on my windows desktop. Much Easier. I'll Feedback what happens!!
Thanks Razzii

Last edited:

mrclowny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the instructions.. I been wanting to do this to get rid of the bloatware and also gain the multi window feature we are missing....

Is there a way to back up my current phone settings and apply it after the root? Or would I have to re configure everything again? If that is the case.. when I do reconfigure it.. is there a good back up procedure in case I need to re root it or watever?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Yes, anything you can post as this is fantastic! I am still working off that original 75% after flashing the kernel. I haven't had the opportunity to watch any YouTube videos today but I have still been using the device a good deal. And I thank you!

As we discussed, the next thing are the boot animations. But as you advised, I am going to use this for a while, getting used to it. Previously I used the CWM method and the thing that I didn't care for was the reboot procedure via holding the buttons as I have large hands. But twrp is easy! Backups, restores, flashes, etc are all easy. I just fear flashing a bad rom, so I will probably stay with clean for a while.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355941006771.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355941006771.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 42

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for the instructions.. I been wanting to do this to get rid of the bloatware and also gain the multi window feature we are missing....

Is there a way to back up my current phone settings and apply it after the root? Or would I have to re configure everything again? If that is the case.. when I do reconfigure it.. is there a good back up procedure in case I need to re root it or watever?
Your phone settings remain intact after root and after TWRP install.
From there you will want to do Recovery Backup in TWRP so you can save all original settings/rom image etc before flashing customs.
If your not digging custom rom , tweaks etc you have applied you can always restore that backup.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Finally requiring a charge from 75%.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355948164680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355948164680.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 34

Members online

Forum statistics