Disk space being reported incorrectly under Settings > Storage?

ekuarykan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I have my Note 2 set up to save photos and videos taken by the camera to the memory card, and photos that I've taken do seem to end up on the card.

However, under Settings > Storage > Pictures, videos, the phone says 10.44 MB. When I click on "Pictures, videos" it just takes me to the gallery and shows me photos that I know are saved on the card. I can't seem to locate the supposed pictures and videos that are on the device storage.

Am I not understanding what the 10.44 MB actually refers to? Or, are these actual files somewhere on the phone? What could these files be, and where? Phantom files?
Is this happening to anyone else?

If anyone has any suggestions, thanks in advance.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Their some were else. You can check for folders that are labed "dcim" on both the external and internal memory to see when your pics are located.

Sent from my behemoth of a phone,the Galaxy Note II
/
D:
\

KamranCh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've Galaxy Note 2 of 16GB internal storage but in storage it shows 20GB under pictures, videos. All my pictures and videos are in external card and their total size is less than 5GB.

ekuarykan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add that it seems as though the phone creates a huge .thumbnail data file. Not sure what type of information it keeps, but it can get pretty large. And even if you choose to have your videos and photos saved to the memory card, the phone will still create this file on the internal memory. SenseMonkey from the post above motivated me to keep checking the dcim folder on the internal storage, and sure enough the file was there as a hidden file. You can get to it by using the My Files app in the Applications folder and making sure that hidden files are viewable under My Files app settings. I've deleted that .thumbnail file/folder several times without incident whenever it seems to be getting too large.

I hope this helps.

I've Galaxy Note 2 of 16GB internal storage but in storage it shows 20GB under pictures, videos. All my pictures and videos are in external card and their total size is less than 5GB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo