dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if a factory data reset will be necessary before or after applying this update. I don't want this flawless, awesome phone getting messed up by this long-awaited update. I guess I have something like "residual PTSD" over what happened to my Infuse 4G after I upgraded it to Gingerbread without factory resetting it beforehand and instead factory resetting it afterwards with no effect.

After upgrading my Infuse to Gingerbread without factory resetting, the battery life took a dive, the phone froze up every day requiring a reboot every time that happened, and GPS stopped working. These things held true even after I factory reset after the update. I never want another occurrence like that again.

So, please reassure me that such things will not happen on the AT&T Note 2 by providing me with things that I should know before applying any update, whether it be OTA or using Kies.

Last edited:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but I really, really am not wanting their update any longer. The funny thing for me at least is, I am thinking to myself "this thing is running great, I have had two updated roms in less than a month that this official update probably can't touch, and most importantly, I don't want to have to depend on them any more."

I did a restore from a backup and I had the att kernel, but I don't know. I may just update it to be able to go back and do another backup, but I think for this set, I may stay on root? ...

JohnnyPre

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
On a whim I tried to update last night. Now when I check it says I must wait 13 hours to check again. Hope the update supersedes this.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Or go to settings, then Applications, then All. Find "AT&T software update" and clear, data/cache and reboot.

Seems they wised up after ICS...

Can't do this any more apparently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356619003266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356619003266.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 74

ska916jedi

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if a factory data reset will be necessary before or after applying this update. I don't want this flawless, awesome phone getting messed up by this long-awaited update. I guess I have something like "residual PTSD" over what happened to my Infuse 4G after I upgraded it to Gingerbread without factory resetting it beforehand and instead factory resetting it afterwards with no effect.

After upgrading my Infuse to Gingerbread without factory resetting, the battery life took a dive, the phone froze up every day requiring a reboot every time that happened, and GPS stopped working. These things held true even after I factory reset after the update. I never want another occurrence like that again.

So, please reassure me that such things will not happen on the AT&T Note 2 by providing me with things that I should know before applying any update, whether it be OTA or using Kies.

I'm also worried. I haven't backed my phone up or don't know how. Can I back it all up to the sd card? Anyways, will the update factory reset our phones?????

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, my impatience has relegated me to waiting a few more days for the update. I tried going about 48 hours ahead and still nothing. Hooray.

cmallow

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Why wait? Just change the date on your phone. I moved mine out three days before my update downloaded.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site

How about a reassuring plus+++ from someone who has had inherently bad luck with updates via AT&T. Its a cake walk. Make sure you shut down your apps get rid of any goofy stuff. You should be fine. I had a couple small issues but got it all cleared up. Was reluctant like MatroxD to update because it was work8ng so well. Guess what, its awesome!

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site

How about a reassuring plus+++ from someone who has had inherently bad luck with updates via AT&T. Its a cake walk. Make sure you shut down your apps get rid of any goofy stuff. You should be fine. I had a couple small issues but got it all cleared up. Was reluctant like MatroxD to update because it was working so well. Guess what, its awesome!

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but I really, really am not wanting their update any longer. The funny thing for me at least is, I am thinking to myself "this thing is running great, I have had two updated roms in less than a month that this official update probably can't touch, and most importantly, I don't want to have to depend on them any more."

I did a restore from a backup and I had the att kernel, but I don't know. I may just update it to be able to go back and do another backup, but I think for this set, I may stay on root? ...

Your sentiment is shared by me

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Updated tonight and did nothing to prepare for it.

The update downloaded and installed without a hitch. No hard reset required.

No crashes so far and no app freezes as far as I can tell.

As far as speed increase, it is hard to tell the difference. The phone was already fast and fluid before the update. If there is any increase, it appears to be incremental, at least to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Jevangil I wonder if the timer for checking for update will allow it through if it is pushed to my phone as timer says I have to wait 120 hours before I can check manually for update. Please help and can anyone advise?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Your sentiment is shared by me

Lol! Oh you were on root? And went back? I haven't even tried to pull mine yet because I don't want to go back. I restored a backup and I could connect to the servers, but I was like "nahh"... lol! I guess for me, it's a thing where do I want to go back to a half working device when I have full functionality already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Updated tonight and did nothing to prepare for it.

The update downloaded and installed without a hitch. No hard reset required.

No crashes so far and no app freezes as far as I can tell.

As far as speed increase, it is hard to tell the difference. The phone was already fast and fluid before the update. If there is any increase, it appears to be incremental, at least to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Just to try, I checked for updates on Thursday to see if the update was released in my area. I was surprised when I saw the downloading progress bar right afterwards. Since I wasn't on Wifi, I thought that downloading this update over the LTE network would eat up a large chunk of my data plan, so I tried to stop it from downloading by turning off the data connection and turning it back on again. But it just resumed downloading as soon as I turned data back on. So I turned data back off and rebooted the phone. When the phone turned back on I turned data on again, and the update STILL resumed downloading.

By now I just decided to let it run its course and update. It took about 15 minutes to complete.

If these update downloads are interrupted like I did here, are there any chances that the file will get corrupted? Two days after the update, I see no problems on my phone; everything works as well as it had been before the update. Even better, the 178 MB download didn't even register under my data usage records on myAT&T.

EDIT: I don't know if this is really a problem, but after a browsing session of about 40 minutes, which caused my battery to go from 97% to 89% (I use Chrome), I took a look at the battery stats (Settings>Battery) and noticed that the screen was on the top of the list. I know that's what's supposed to happen, but then under "Screen" was "Android System". Before the update, Chrome would have been right under the screen usage. I thought the battery stats were wacked, so I tested it out with another app to see if it would show up in the stats. After using the app for a few minutes, I rechecked the battery stats and the app did show up. Any other app I used showed up as well. But even after using Chrome for the next several minutes, it still failed to show up under the battery stats. Why did this happen? Is anyone else using Chrome having the same problem?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca