Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen auto-rotation problems after multi-window update

After rebooting, the auto-rotate will work, but after a few days it'll stop working, even with the toggle turned on. All sensors were fine. Sometimes apps will rotate into landscape mode and stay like that until I turn off auto-rotate. Smart rotation is turned on, but before the update, auto-rotate has always worked even with it on. So I'm inclined to think it's just a software problem.

Rebooting will solve the problem, but it'll come back after a few days. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Default Re: Screen auto-rotation problems after multi-window update

I too had/have this problem. I gave up trying and found an app called "rotate"

Rotation choices set to auto and force rotation

I have the 4.1.2 update but I have not seen this problem. I have not enabled smart rotation, though. Do you encounter the problem even if you keep smart rotation turned off?

Happened to me, playing with the smart rotation and auto-rotate setting didn't help.
    A restart fixed it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    Happened to me, playing with the smart rotation and auto-rotate setting didn't help.
    A restart fixed it.
    Do you mean a factory reset or a reboot?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TedStriker412 View Post
    I too had/have this problem. I gave up trying and found an app called "rotate"

Rotation choices set to auto and force rotation
    Did this fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    Do you mean a factory reset or a reboot?
    Restart. Hold the power button down and it is the third choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    Did this fix the issue?
    Yes. It also rotates apps that do not support rotation.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Hopefully when the 4.2 JB update gets released (when will that be?) this issue will be fixed. It's a pity that this auto-rotation bug was overlooked. I shouldn't have to reboot the phone to get the screen to auto-rotate after it broke; I don't like rebooting and will generally avoid doing it unless I absolutely have to. Well, at least the reboot frequency is far less than my first phone, the Infuse 4G. Mine was such a dud that I had to reboot it every single day.

Other than the problem of screen auto-rotate not working after a few days, my Note 2 is working just as smoothly as before, if not smoother.
    Last edited by dlee1001; 01-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TedStriker412 View Post
    Yes. It also rotates apps that do not support rotation.
    Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by dlee1001 View Post
    I shouldn't have to reboot the phone to get the screen to auto-rotate after it broke; I don't like rebooting and will generally avoid doing it unless I absolutely have to.
    Just curious, have you had to reboot often? In almost 2 weeks I've only rebooted once since the update and the problem has not reappeared.
    (Did I just jinx myself? )

ROM
    Stock

Updated myself but no problems here, screen rotates not even half a second after is turned into landscape. Almost instantly. :thumbup:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I've had this happen too, and it is annoying. Mine is always limited to specific apps - ie Facebook will be stuck landscape, when I close it my home screen will rotate to normal, then Chrome will open and rotate normal, go back to Facebook and it is stuck in landscape. Restarting phone had been working to fix.

Sent from the unparalleled Note 2
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Wink Re: Screen auto-rotation problems after multi-window update

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    Just curious, have you had to reboot often? In almost 2 weeks I've only rebooted once since the update and the problem has not reappeared.
    (Did I just jinx myself? )
    No, rebooting became somewhat of a rarity now that I have a phone that is eons better than my Infuse. As of this post, my phone's uptime is 102:44 (about 4.3 days) and still counting.

What do you mean you jinxed yourself? Did your phone just reboot on you or did the problem happen again?

For me its the YouTube application. It started after the update as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Mine does the same thing..thought it was the phone so I exchanged it but same problem keeps happening to new phone..both times it stopped working was trying to view youtube in landscape...it wouldnt work..only a reboot would fix it..hopefully a fix is on its way.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Did you guys have any green camera issue after this update? I remember reading about that on the forums here but didn't know what became of it.

I'm nervous to download the update... I've been burned by ATT updates really bad before on old phones and been weary ever since.

I'm on ATT and haven't updated my note 2 yet. I have not rooted or installed any custom ROMs on my phone. Should I take the plunge and get the update or should I stay on stock shelf version? My phone works superb right now and I'd hate to jack it up.
    Current Device: Moto Atrix

Dont update bro..multi window is over hyped..I have mine turned off..besides it will ruin your screen rotation

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MRBULLRED View Post
    For me its the YouTube application. It started after the update as well.

+1 Youtube always seem to be stuck in portrait and doesn't want to go into landscape.

ROM
    Stock

My note 2 is stuck in landscape now.. ._.

Mine did the same thing a few days ago. A simple restart should fix it.

Same here. I thought it was due to me rooting/running CleanROM SE. But I'll run into the screen not rotating when it should and have to restart the phone.

Ok I've found an easier solution than restarting every time this happens. All you have to do is first ensure that multiwindow in enabled on the pull down status bar (or in the display settings), then hold the back button the on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to activate the multiscreen option sidebar. Now this should automatically fix the stucked screen rotation. Test it out now. Go to the app that is stuck in portrait mode or landscape mode then hold the back button to activate multiscreen mode, then rotate the phone and it should now rotate automatically. You can then hold the back button again to hide the multiscreen sidebar if you want. I'm not sure how long this will fix the issue but it is easier than restarting your phone every time. Also, I've been dealing with this problem for some time now and I've just discovered the a temporary solution so please give credit if you decide to spread this solution. Thanks! And go out and purchase a subscription to Sirius XM Radio. It's amazing!!
    Thanked by:

I'm on ATT and mine gets stuck in portrait at least 3 times a day. Rebooting is annoying, especially since it switches back to the Samsung keyboard each time. Glad tosee its.not just me tho

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusXM View Post
    Ok I've found an easier solution than restarting every time this happens. All you have to do is first ensure that multiwindow in enabled on the pull down status bar (or in the display settings), then hold the back button the on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to activate the multiscreen option sidebar. Now this should automatically fix the stucked screen rotation. Test it out now. Go to the app that is stuck in portrait mode or landscape mode then hold the back button to activate multiscreen mode, then rotate the phone and it should now rotate automatically. You can then hold the back button again to hide the multiscreen sidebar if you want. I'm not sure how long this will fix the issue but it is easier than restarting your phone every time. Also, I've been dealing with this problem for some time now and I've just discovered the a temporary solution so please give credit if you decide to spread this solution. Thanks! And go out and purchase a subscription to Sirius XM Radio. It's amazing!!
    Just tried, didn't work for me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast