Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dodong27
  • 2 Post By lostchild
  • 1 Post By dodong27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Data Usage Warning..???

Hey Guys,

I have AT&T as a carrier and I have Unlimited Data, but just yesterday I got a Notification saying: Data Usage Warning.
    So I clicked on it and apparently I'm almost over the 2.0GB (checked today, now I'm over 2.0GB)...
    But I have Unlimited Data as my plan, I also doubled checked my AT&T account to make sure nothing has changed when I upgraded from the iPhone to the Note 2, and I still have Unlimited Data... So should I be concern here?

Thanks.

Default Re: Data Usage Warning..???

You'll be throttled at 3GB if on a 3G/HSPA+ plan and 5GB if on an LTE plan (like the Note2).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    You'll be throttled at 3GB if on a 3G/HSPA+ plan and 5GB if on an LTE plan (like the Note2).
    What do you mean by throttled???

They slow your speeds down to about 500kbps until your next billing cycle The plan IS NOT TRULY UNLIMITED. They started this last year. Check this out:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...id=bGgghEzdnt6
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

They slow your speeds down to about 500kbps until your next billing cycle The plan IS NOT TRULY UNLIMITED. They started this last year. Check this out:

This sucks balls! argh!
    Thanked by:
    Phoneguy108 likes this.

That warning was not from AT&T. It was from your Note II. Go into Settings -> Data Usage. You will see an orange bar you could adjust. The stock AT&T phone is default to 2Gb. I set mine to 5Gb so I will know when I am about to be throttled! Also while in that screen, you might want to adjust the period to your AT&T billing period.
    Thanked by 2:
    JayRatliff and TheOtherBill like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
    That warning was not from AT&T. It was from your Note II. Go into Settings -> Data Usage. You will see an orange bar you could adjust. The stock AT&T phone is default to 2Gb. I set mine to 5Gb so I will know when I am about to be throttled! Also while in that screen, you might want to adjust the period to your AT&T billing period.
    Sweet! Thanks for this info...!!!
    TheOtherBill likes this.

I thought the samething when I saw that the very first time too.
    Just do what lostchild said and you''ll be fine.... you prolly never go over 3gb of data unless you stream stuff all day.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ok, I did it... Such a useful info..!
    Thanks All..!

Quote Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
    Also while in that screen, you might want to adjust the period to your AT&T billing period.
    You must adjust that if you want your phone to be in sync with AT&T's usage records. If they're not in sync you could be warned too late or get false warnings.

Thanks to wifi, I'm using only about .4G a month, not bad at all! I wish I could buy a smaller limit plan for less money.

How they legally get away with that blows my mind....

Hell I barely use 3GB of data or 2GB I love wifi for that. Yay.

BTW, 500kbps is not really that slow. My old iPhone 3G only get about 1 to 2Mbps max. My first modem was 300/1200 bits per second.

500kbs is extremely slow.... That's 1/6 of the theoretical max of 3MBs that 3g has..

And they legally get away with it because the fine print is on the commercials, their website, and all their promo materials...

Sprint is the ONLY company with truely Unlimited 3g/4g for everyone... I say everyone because, vzw only has it for grandfathered plans.... Even TMos newest crusade, throttles and limits after a few gigs....

Sprint said a gig of 4g is cheaper than a gig of 3g, so I don't expect this to change anytime soon

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Years ago I had a blackberry on AT&T with unlimited data of course all they had was 3 G, anyway I read all the fine print and buried in small text was a paragraph that stated that even though it was unlimited their was in fact a 20GB limit before they would start charging extra fees, and if it continued I would be taken off unlimited data. However I never got close to limit and it was near impossible with 3G.

Being throttled by ATT sucks, it happened to me 2 months ago and its like going from LTE to EDGE speeds!!! It sux. The crappy part is that they don't throttle you at the supposed 5gb, they throttle you at 4gb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by BoredandTattooed View Post
    500kbs is extremely slow.... That's 1/6 of the theoretical max of 3MBs that 3g has..

And they legally get away with it because the fine print is on the commercials, their website, and all their promo materials...

Sprint is the ONLY company with truely Unlimited 3g/4g for everyone... I say everyone because, vzw only has it for grandfathered plans.... Even TMos newest crusade, throttles and limits after a few gigs....

Sprint said a gig of 4g is cheaper than a gig of 3g, so I don't expect this to change anytime soon
    2 things:
    First, they throttle you to less than 100kbps.
    Second, tmobile does have TRUE unlimited. The have unlimited and then throttle at a certain point just like att and then they have pre and post paid true unlimited just like sprint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2