Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Woke up this morning, got a screen of AT&T Software Update. Since I don't want 4.1.2, I just hit the Home button and exited. But everything I hit will bring it back and forced me to do the update. Now it is downloading. Is this 4.1.2? Does AT&T force you to do firmware update? Or is it something else?

    EDIT: Okay the update finished. I am still on 4.1.1. So what did it update? This is really disturbing!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    If you are rooted, you can freeze AT&T Updating software to stop the update push.

    This is probably the kernel exploit patch for 4.1.1 if I was guessing, which I am. Running CleanROM, so unsure.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    I think the first screen said something about fixing WiFi. I didn't have any problem with WiFi so I hope this "fix" does not break anything.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    I find several references to a 4.1.1 patch for Wifi on the Tab, but can't find any specifics for the Note 2.

    Found this If you scroll down to the bottom you will find the size of the 4.1.2 update to be exactly the same as your update.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRatliff View Post
    I find several references to a 4.1.1 patch for Wifi on the Tab, but can't find any specifics for the Note 2.

    Found this If you scroll down to the bottom you will find the size of the 4.1.2 update to be exactly the same as your update.
    IF YOU call AT&T they say Samsung.... if you call Samsung they say AT&T. Simply ridiculous. Why is there a problem obtaining a comprehensive change log of the 4.1.2 update. Also were you aware that the carrier can make changes to your software automatically without informing you.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    IF YOU call AT&T they say Samsung.... if you call Samsung they say AT&T. Simply ridiculous. Why is there a problem obtaining a comprehensive change log of the 4.1.2 update. Also were you aware that the carrier can make changes to your software automatically without informing you.
    Hence my previous post, I'm running CleanROM!!
  7. #7  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
    Woke up this morning, got a screen of AT&T Software Update. Since I don't want 4.1.2, I just hit the Home button and exited. But everything I hit will bring it back and forced me to do the update. Now it is downloading. Is this 4.1.2? Does AT&T force you to do firmware update? Or is it something else?

    EDIT: Okay the update finished. I am still on 4.1.1. So what did it update? This is really disturbing!
    Why wouldn't u want multi-view??? U can only have it on 4.1.2. U might as well get a s3

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRatliff View Post
    Hence my previous post, I'm running CleanROM!!
    Jay, just prior to the 4.1.2 update AT&T pushed a OTA maintenance regarding wifi. Check advanced settings....its ticked wifi always on even when sleeping.
    According to Samsung the explanation given for the decrease in battery performance compared to 4.1.1 is the 4.1.2 update and the maint update prior to the update.
    A day or so prior to the 4.1.2 update I saw in the notification area, upper left the diagonal grey and red arrows similar to software update, and when I oopened notification window it said " connecting to "DNR" server" I had absolutely no idea what that was. I had no warning of any kind as to a update, and that pisses me off. This is my phone. I wasted alot of time trying to figure out what had happened. It was only after I contacted a data supervisor that they informed me that the "Anomaly" was a AT&T update. At minimum I believe they should have given some sort of heads up.
    Both the maint and 4.1.2 have Impacted my battery performance. I have disabled all the att garbage, apps, and google+ notifications. It improved things but still not the same as it was prior to the 4.1.2 update.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    Jay, just prior to the 4.1.2 update AT&T pushed a OTA maintenance regarding wifi. Check advanced settings....its ticked wifi always on even when sleeping.
    According to Samsung the explanation given for the decrease in battery performance compared to 4.1.1 is the 4.1.2 update and the maint update prior to the update.
    A day or so prior to the 4.1.2 update I saw in the notification area, upper left the diagonal grey and red arrows similar to software update, and when I oopened notification window it said " connecting to "DNR" server" I had absolutely no idea what that was. I had no warning of any kind as to a update, and that pisses me off. This is my phone. I wasted alot of time trying to figure out what had happened. It was only after I contacted a data supervisor that they informed me that the "Anomaly" was a AT&T update. At minimum I believe they should have given some sort of heads up.
    Both the maint and 4.1.2 have Impacted my battery performance. I have disabled all the att garbage, apps, and google+ notifications. It improved things but still not the same as it was prior to the 4.1.2 update.
    I understand where you are coming from and I feel the same way about my Note 2, there will be no OTA's pushed to my device without my knowledge. I was simply trying to help the OPer by searching around for a possible reason for the update (as you did by contacting customer service). I got tired of waiting on AT&T and flashed CleanROM with a custom kernel. I am super happy with the performance and battery life of my Note 2 and don't think I will ever be going back to stock unless a warranty item arises. I understand that some people are not exactly "comfortable" with doing this, but my experience has been awesome and I have learned so much about my device through the adventure.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRatliff View Post
    I understand where you are coming from and I feel the same way about my Note 2, there will be no OTA's pushed to my device without my knowledge. I was simply trying to help the OPer by searching around for a possible reason for the update (as you did by contacting customer service). I got tired of waiting on AT&T and flashed CleanROM with a custom kernel. I am super happy with the performance and battery life of my Note 2 and don't think I will ever be going back to stock unless a warranty item arises. I understand that some people are not exactly "comfortable" with doing this, but my experience has been awesome and I have learned so much about my device through the adventure.
    Do you know if wifi should be "ticked" in advanced that way... always on when sleeping? There are several choices.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    I would have to say that it depends on the setup of your phone. If you do backups and syncs during nighttime hours, then you would want Wifi enabled while the phone is in deep sleep. If you are a simple user who surfs the web from time to time, then no, you wouldn't want it enabled due to the drain on the battery. It is simply there as a user option based on their needs.

    Most users who purchase this phone are heavy users, meaning the phone is setup to perform tasks even when it is sleeping. Therefore wanting the phone to have access to Wifi all the time that it is available. If this is disabled, the phone is going to default to the cell network and eat through your data plan for such tasks. Make sense?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Why wouldn't u want multi-view??? U can only have it on 4.1.2. U might as well get a s3

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't want it because I will never use it. I don't multi-windows even on my computer. I like having everything maximized. I will get the 4.1.2 update in 6 months or so. I don't like to beta test updates for companies.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
    I don't want it because I will never use it. I don't multi-windows even on my computer. I like having everything maximized. I will get the 4.1.2 update in 6 months or so. I don't like to beta test updates for companies.
    I felt the same way before flashing CleanROM, but I was on XDA the other day reading and my wife kept txting me interrupting what I was doing. For the first time I popped the multi-window out and tossed my txt messaging at the top of the screen. It has a separation bar between the two running apps that slides up and down. I slid the bar almost to the top while I was reading and when I got a txt, I pulled it down and responded. It was very handy!!! I don't use mine all the time, but there is the every once in a while it serves a good purpose.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRatliff View Post
    I would have to say that it depends on the setup of your phone. If you do backups and syncs during nighttime hours, then you would want Wifi enabled while the phone is in deep sleep. If you are a simple user who surfs the web from time to time, then no, you wouldn't want it enabled due to the drain on the battery. It is simply there as a user option based on their needs.

    Most users who purchase this phone are heavy users, meaning the phone is setup to perform tasks even when it is sleeping. Therefore wanting the phone to have access to Wifi all the time that it is available. If this is disabled, the phone is going to default to the cell network and eat through your data plan for such tasks. Make sense?
    Jay, first off thank you for the help and guidance. I am really peeved that No One seems to be able to lay their hands on a real time comprehensive change/add-delete/ enhancement log regarding the 4.1.2 update. I gave great thought to your response and started to look at some of the apps I've added. I found a offender... Samsung Apps! My batt was at 97% after I dumped it my batt jumped to 100% and there was an immediate improvement in batt time.
    Not having the proper info regarding the update is about the same as flying IFR with no instruments.
    Im hoping to find someone in the Columbus, Ohio area that is familiar with rooting and customizing smart phones. I also am trying to get a hand with replacing my current router with the new Asus router which will eliminate many of my woes with the GN2.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
    Jay, first off thank you for the help and guidance. I am really peeved that No One seems to be able to lay their hands on a real time comprehensive change/add-delete/ enhancement log regarding the 4.1.2 update. I gave great thought to your response and started to look at some of the apps I've added. I found a offender... Samsung Apps! My batt was at 97% after I dumped it my batt jumped to 100% and there was an immediate improvement in batt time.
    Not having the proper info regarding the update is about the same as flying IFR with no instruments.
    Im hoping to find someone in the Columbus, Ohio area that is familiar with rooting and customizing smart phones. I also am trying to get a hand with replacing my current router with the new Asus router which will eliminate many of my woes with the GN2.

    Pilots for the win! 250 hrs commercial ASEL and CFI/CFII
  16. #16  
    jlh73's Avatar

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    I still haven't gotten the update. Ota or via keis. It still says my software is up to date. What gives?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlh73 View Post
    I still haven't gotten the update. Ota or via keis. It still says my software is up to date. What gives?

    All updating is done in "phases" to keep the traffic load down on the servers. I'm sure it is being done by phone number or area, you will receive notification when it's your turn. I saw a workaround a couple of days ago, but I forgot where I found it. Maybe someone else will know.....
  18. #18  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    I got the same update today but its not 4.1.2 sadly, i cant tell whats changed on my note 2
  19. #19  
    hammey22's Avatar

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRatliff View Post
    I felt the same way before flashing CleanROM, but I was on XDA the other day reading and my wife kept txting me interrupting what I was doing. For the first time I popped the multi-window out and tossed my txt messaging at the top of the screen. It has a separation bar between the two running apps that slides up and down. I slid the bar almost to the top while I was reading and when I got a txt, I pulled it down and responded. It was very handy!!! I don't use mine all the time, but there is the every once in a while it serves a good purpose.
    How do you go into multi-view? I have the update.

    This was made possible by my note II baby!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: 178.92MB update from AT&T, what is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hammey22 View Post
    How do you go into multi-view? I have the update.
    Go into Settings > Display > Multiwindow
    Check the box and it should appear


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Similar Threads

  1. Unknown Source Update from AT&T
    By bibleguy125 in forum Market Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
  2. My infuse got an update from at&t?
    By waltercln in forum AT&T Samsung Infuse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
  4. HSUPA update from AT&T
    By kg4zxk in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
  5. Has there been a 2.2 Update from AT&T?
    By Crackiswack_Bold_is_cool in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions