Leaving iOS for a SGN2. Want to root for certain features...

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
So I'm not happy with the look and feel of the iPhone 5 and am kind of tired of the new iTunes, so I'm jumping from the iPhone 4 to the note2. I'm currently jailbroken and use mywi to tether without paying AT&T an extra fee (grandfathered to unlimited plan).

I will want to remove all the AT&T bloat ware, have multi view apps, tether at not charge from AT&T, theme and mod. The kicker is, I'm not too android savvy. What rom would suit me best? What is the process of getting to a complete solution? Root then add rom, then begin installing mods/themes? Or does the root install the rom? After posting this ill read the sticky and try to decipher the android talk but just thought I'd ask the other questions as well.

Please go easy on this noob-to-Android modder

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Lol, no problem and welcome!

My advice is to just read the thread fully before you try it. Then, follow it. Be sure to do your backups! That is important! That and clearing out before you flash! What I am saying will mashed sense once you start reading and going through the procedure. :thumbup:

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same requirements as you did so here's what I recommend you do:

1. Follow the instructions on how to root. It's really easy so go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-note-2/236419-t-galaxy-note-2-how-root.html

2. The ROM that I recommend is the International ROM. It removes all the AT&T bloat and works just like the international version. If you want to use your own themes, you can download any launcher you want. That's the beauty of Android. Also if you want to use as a hotspot, this feature is available in the ROM under Settings > More Settings > Tethering and portable hotspot. you can download the ROM here: [ROM][1/10][N7105XXDLL7-v1 - 4.1.2] Best International Stock ROM for i317 Variants - xda-developers

Have fun!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
International version is fine. I like the cleanrom att se version. When you install it you are presented with several options. Lik3 what extra apps mods and other stuff you would like. Also enable built in wifi tether free. You can also install flash here as well. Click done and the installer does the rest

Sent via Tapatalk

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone. So far I love the SGN2. The wife isnt talking to me at the moment but eh...

My home ISP sucks so ill have to try to download everything needed from somewhere else or wait till the 23rd.

So I root, go with the cleanrom ACE and that has the ability to tether for free? Is it a adhoc or infrastructure network? Me needs infrastructure.

For the backup, how does it backup anything if its done after the root? Doesn't the root wipe everything?

Admorris

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. So far I love the SGN2. The wife isnt talking to me at the moment but eh...

My home ISP sucks so ill have to try to download everything needed from somewhere else or wait till the 23rd.

So I root, go with the cleanrom ACE and that has the ability to tether for free? Is it a adhoc or infrastructure network? Me needs infrastructure.

For the backup, how does it backup anything if its done after the root? Doesn't the root wipe everything?

You will need to install a "recovery" in order to install ROMs after you root. TRWP is a good recovery...all touch screen. The recovery is where you make your "nandroid backups"...that way, if you screw something up, you can just reinstall an old backup and be as good as new. And yes, I believe cleanrom ACE has hotspot enabled. Based on the questions you are asking, I would HIGHLY recommend reading some of the help threads to get a general idea of what you're doing before jumping in. That will save you a lot of frustration in the end. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Rooting only install the superSU (superuser) app. This basically gives you administrator privileges. It does nothing to you OS. From here download goomanager from the playstore. When you first run be sure to grant superuser privileges. Use goomanager to install TWRP recovery. It will do it for you. Then download the ROM of your choice and put it a folder on your device. Boot to twrp and make a backup of the OS before you install the rom. Now go back to goomanager and use it to flash the new rom. When your device restsrts the rom install options (atleast for cleanrom) will give the option to install differwnt stuff make your choices and hit done. The device will restart. It will take awhile to boot the first time. Dont worry it should be fine. Just leave it alone. After the first boot it will be normal boot times. It is recommended thst you have atleast 70% battery before you begin.

Sent via Tapatalk

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone! Those of you that used the ACE rom; which one did you download? Turbocharged, Blue Mod, or the non modded one?

Sorry to keep bugging you with questions, but what do I need the a kernel and a rom?

What ive downloaded so far:
Odin3 v1.85
Adbd insecure v1.20
CF AUTO ROOT for my model

What I think I need:
Kernel that works with what ever rom I choose
ACE rom
Triangle
Goomanager

If any of this is not needed or needs to be changed, please let me know as id like to do this tonight

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Triangke can screw up your phone if you arent careful. You do not need a kernel. Kernels basically control the processor. I wouldnt mess with this if you dont have to. The rom, twrp and root is all you need. Triangle is only to go back to complete stock and will remove all traces of flashing for the purposes of returning it for repair or things like this.
The kernel is a seperate flash and is not needed to flash a rom. When you flash your rom the existing kernel is left intact.
Sent via Tapatalk

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
What is adbd insecure for? I didnt need that to flash my rom.

Sent via Tapatalk

adbd Insecure lets you run adbd in root mode if your device is rooted

I think im going try cleanrom se 1.2 and see how I like that and if I feel froggy I'll jump to something different...assuming that I don't screw something up.

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I tried but it never succeeded. Stayed in odin mode and odin on the pc shows:
Checking md5 finished successfully
Leave cs..
All threads completed. (Succeed0/failed0)

I had to take the battery out to get the phone to respond and the phone seems to work fine minus the fact that nothing changed/happened (phone never rebooted).

Thoughts? What did I do wrong?

Edit... rooted, installed goomanager, open recovery script, but now I cant boot to twrp to create a backup OR even see the rom zip file when I browse for roms in goo.

Its late and im tired so hopefully if I sleep on it, I'll be able to get it in the morning

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What folder did you save the rom in? Internal or external memory? Did you tell goomanager where to look for the new rom?

You can boot twrp if you turn off the phone and hold volume up + home + power. If you twrp doesnt come and instead the stock recovery comes up then you havent properly installed Twrp.

Sent via Tapatalk

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
What folder did you save the rom in? Internal or external memory? Did you tell goomanager where to look for the new rom?

You can boot twrp if you turn off the phone and hold volume up + home + power. If you twrp doesnt come and instead the stock recovery comes up then you havent properly installed Twrp.

Sent via Tapatalk

Its still zipped on the external sd card. I cant even use goo to browse to the external sd card...cant find anything in any of the menu's either

Still learning so forgive the ignorance amd thank you for the assistance.

On a different note, I sre youre using tapatalk. I cant seem to log into androidcentral on tapatalk. Is it because I used google passbook to create my androidcentral account?

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well im running the cleanrom se 1.2 and using the nova launcher. Teying to find a better launcher, I dont really care for this one.

Still cant use tapatalk...any assistance would be great

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Why cant you you use tapatalk. It is a breeze to set up. Congrats on your rom flash btw
Edit. Cant comment on passbook. I just used the standard gmail account to set it up. Then you search for the forum and set your username and password for said account and bam your done.
Sent via Tapatalk

Turb02

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I ended up resetting my passbook password or whatever it is and was able to get it operational

Sent using Tapatalk from my Note 2, disregard any grammatical errors.