Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default QI standard Wireless charging receiver

Anybody have this and know if it works well? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on it but dont want to waste my money. Forum on XDA seems to think its ok but there was never a definitive answer. Thanks
    Thanked by 2:
    MatroxD and destefmx6 like this.

ROM
    CleanROM 1.5 ATT SE

Default Re: QI standard Wireless charging receiver

I was looking on getting a powermat, almost the samething.....but I am confused about the whole QI aspect. I have a flip cover and posted a topic specific to the mat , but almost the same question about wireless charging. I will be subscribed here, hopefully someone knows more about this technology..
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt981 View Post
    Anybody have this and know if it works well? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on it but dont want to waste my money. Forum on XDA seems to think its ok but there was never a definitive answer. Thanks

Okay, so I ordered one of these. Does anyone know if the palm touchstone would work with this receiver?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I don't believe the Touchstone is QI compatible. The Nokia Lumia 920 charging plate however is QI, so that should work.

Ok, from what I understand about the device, the wireless charging is tied into the two posts that you see when you remove the back from of the phone (there are the nfc posts and also the wireless charging posts).

Just from the electronics I have done, and this is a stretch, you have to get a system that would either allow you to place the charging coil to come in contact with these posts at the correct voltage (which for this phone, I want to, but at the same time don't want to experiment), as this one requires higher amperage to charge quickly.

I have a qi mat for my wi but I don't trust my own skills to not short out the device or worse. I have had lipo packs puff with hobby related things over time, but never had one explode. I wouldn't wish that on anyone so guys please be careful! I want to tinker to but, it's too dangerous for my tastes.

I wish they would just come out with the backs, as there are so many things that have wireless charging now.

But, I do understand their slow release because of the above. If anyone finds warrantied backs, I'm more than willing to experiment and buy one, but please, please dudes, don't rig it, as it's not very forgiving to blow up a lithium battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MRBULLRED View Post
    Okay, so I ordered one of these. Does anyone know if the palm touchstone would work with this receiver?

If you can, can you please keep us updated after you receive it, as I think we are all interested?

destefmx6 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by LordGreylock View Post
    I don't believe the Touchstone is QI compatible. The Nokia Lumia 920 charging plate however is QI, so that should work.
    The Nokia is Qi compatible but I was in verizon today and they have a QI charging plate that is bigger and the note fits better on. Also Verizon sells a S3 back plate with wireless charging built in.

The Nokia is Qi compatible but I was in verizon today and they have a QI charging plate that is bigger and the note fits better on. Also Verizon sells a S3 back plate with wireless charging built in.
    Yes, I read about the back for the s3 a few months ago. At that time they mentioned that it, and the note 2 back would be coming soon. So hopefully, this is somewhat of an indication the backs for the 2 will be coming soon. I can't wait, as I'm don't wish to be tethered to cables any longer all over the house.

It's a blessing and a curse (have to take the bad with the good) that the battery life is so long. For me, the only thing is, the majority of the time, 24 hours is nothing to obtain. The issue comes in add to "when"the 24 hours comes up. I am up at 430 am, so in order to run it down to 5-10%, that normally falls into the 7 to 730 am time for me. I am on the road, in and out of the vehicle, thus seeing it to charge isn't an easy option. I probably should just buy the extra battery and charger route as I think about it.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    Yes, I read about the back for the s3 a few months ago. At that time they mentioned that it, and the note 2 back would be coming soon. So hopefully, this is somewhat of an indication the backs for the 2 will be coming soon. I can't wait, as I'm don't wish to be tethered to cables any longer all over the house.

It's a blessing and a curse (have to take the bad with the good) that the battery life is so long. For me, the only thing is, the majority of the time, 24 hours is nothing to obtain. The issue comes in add to "when"the 24 hours comes up. I am up at 430 am, so in order to run it down to 5-10%, that normally falls into the 7 to 730 am time for me. I am on the road, in and out of the vehicle, thus seeing it to charge isn't an easy option. I probably should just buy the extra battery and charger route as I think about it.

I think if we see something it will be at MWC or at the Samsung event when they announce the GS4, whenever that may be. I think I am going to spring and get this receiver, Its $17 so its not too expensive and I know people with the Lumia so i can try it out on their chargers and then decide if I want to buy one myself.

Lol, that sounds good and let me know how it goes. Honestly, I don't have the heart to experiment. I love my home dude... 4k degrees nonstop burn is no joke....

Global Posts
    10,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

There is a cheep fix as well to just make one from scratch and use a palm back. For the price this looks cheeper. Not sure I would want to prolong my charging time though. Also, I really dont ever "need" to charge, so a micro usb slip every other night doesn't bother me. Maybe I will pop on this

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I have one of these on its way: . I'll report back when it gets here.
    Thanked by:
    MatroxD likes this.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blacter View Post
    I have one of these on its way: . I'll report back when it gets here.
    This unit arrived today. Looks like an official Note 2 Samsung back with the charging circuit board taped inside. Unfortunately, it didn't work since one of the contacts that connects it to the phone had come unsoldered. Consider me the guy that took one for the team.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Do any of you know what settings need to be on for wireless charging to work with one of these add-ons. I have the Nokia charging plate.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by blacter View Post
    Do any of you know what settings need to be on for wireless charging to work with one of these add-ons. I have the Nokia charging plate.
    Im unaware of a setting, from what i understood is you put the back plate on and then set it down on the charger.

ROM
    CleanROM 1.5 ATT SE

anyone tried this QI, or the one available on Ebay? This all just seems too easy.......

Got the Qi receiver tag off ebay and it works as advertise and charges my Note II up with no problems. Tag is thin enough to fit between the battery and door without a budge forming.This is the one I got.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by maj71303 View Post
    Got the Qi receiver tag off ebay and it works as advertise and charges my Note II up with no problems. Tag is thin enough to fit between the battery and door without a budge forming.This is the one I got.
    I've been eyeing one of these wireless charging set-up and I may pull the trigger soon.
    Thanks for posting your view on these.....

I got one as well. Not working for me on an att note 2 with a palm touchstone.

Quote Originally Posted by adamw100 View Post
    I got one as well. Not working for me on an att note 2 with a palm touchstone.

You know that a Qi receiver tag or Qi period is different than palm's touchstone technology. You can't mix the two.

To use a Qi Receiver you need a Qi charger and to use palm touchstone you need a palm receiver.

Hmmm. Well that would explain it. I thought the touchstone was qi based. Hence why many ebay sellers bundle one with their note 2 with backs. Any suggestions for a good match, preferably one that holds note 2 at an angle?

Quote Originally Posted by adamw100 View Post
    Hmmm. Well that would explain it. I thought the touchstone was qi based. Hence why many ebay sellers bundle one with their note 2 with backs. Any suggestions for a good match, preferably one that holds note 2 at an angle?

If you got the palm version built into the note 2 backs only the palm touchstone will work. If you have the Qi tag then only a Qi charger will work and there are not many built to an angle like the touchstone as QI is not magnetically based like the touchstone. There are some nokia ones that are Qi charging stands that stand the phone up.

Awesome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by maj71303 View Post
    To use a Qi Receiver you need a Qi charger and to use palm touchstone you need a palm receiver.
    Awesome to know that!!
    I was looking at a Palm touchstone on amazon for $6 and on ebay for about $15..... So, Qi charging pad will be the one to get for me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast