Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default bluetooth headset advice

hi all,
    just got the note 2, and love it. however, my plantronics voyager pro (3 years old) which worked fine on my iphone 4, is paired, but doesn't bring up a dialer on the note 2. i was told by bestbuy that i need a newer bt headset. i don't trust them, so i need to know if others are able to use the bt headsets with teh note 2. i'm driving a lot, and i only need to invoke a call, and then tell the phone which contact to call. i should not have to have S voice or google now come up, and then i have to look at the phone and swipe the number i need. is this due to the older version of bluetooth, or the note?

Default Re: bluetooth headset advice

I actually have a plantronics set also. I have the back beat pro's and they actually work very well with it.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Matrox, are you able to make calls with your pro on your note 2 without having to swipe or select anything on it?

I have the Motorola elite sliver or sliver elite,however it is named..it definitely gets the job done.

relentlessplayer..using the mighty SGH-T889

Yes sir, I just hold down the button and say "call such and such". It then brings up s voice and calls.

The only thing I had to do when I paired is to go through the s voice setup and that was it.

But yes, it does very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    Yes sir, I just hold down the button and say "call such and such". It then brings up s voice and calls.

The only thing I had to do when I paired is to go through the s voice setup and that was it.

But yes, it does very well.

so, you have the back beat 'go'? with what bt headset?
    today i stopped at an AT&T store, and i was surprised to learn that android doesn't support voice dialing directly. that's why my bt set was pairing, and did wake the screen up, but nothing else happened. he then went on to explain that a newer bt set will have software that supports more features, and one included copying your contacts. he paired his plantronics legend (newest version of the voyager line) and he was able to just talk and get s voice to make a call on my phone. i just want a simple, light headset that will allow me to call without touching my phone, but really don't want to spend another 100. btw how did you access the s voice setup? i searched for it, but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by dubbyluv View Post
    so, you have the back beat 'go'? with what bt headset?
    today i stopped at an AT&T store, and i was surprised to learn that android doesn't support voice dialing directly. that's why my bt set was pairing, and did wake the screen up, but nothing else happened. he then went on to explain that a newer bt set will have software that supports more features, and one included copying your contacts. he paired his plantronics legend (newest version of the voyager line) and he was able to just talk and get s voice to make a call on my phone. i just want a simple, light headset that will allow me to call without touching my phone, but really don't want to spend another 100. btw how did you access the s voice setup? i searched for it, but couldn't find it.

The Backbeat Pro is the Bluetooth headset. I havethe note ii also. And the headset, as long as I have it on, I just hold it button in the middle(on the headset), it givesme atone, i say call, it asks me whom to call, and that's it. Also, if i receive a text, it let's me know as the above and asks me if I want to call or read it. Attached a few pictures of the headset. I purchased the headset around November, so it should still be available. I will check it and include a link in a follow up if I can.

And I'm not sure about what the person stated at the store, but in my experience it's not any kind of surprise from the att store (sorry, just my experience with them). For the s voice setup, just go into your applications, look for s-voice, open it, and it will wall you through a set of instructions and set up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360636360865.jpg   bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360636372784.jpg   bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360636385164.jpg   bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360636398097.jpg  
    Last edited by MatroxD; 02-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Okay here is the link(and lol, I did mess up the pro part):

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-go

And a screen shot of them:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360636897198.jpg  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    Okay here is the link(and lol, I did mess up the pro part):

Plantronics | BackBeat GO

And a screen shot of them:

Does anybody know about the Bluetooth headset by Samsung. The one with nfc pairing?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

i chatted with samsung support, and they told me none of their headsets can do voicecalls, only after you dial from your phone first. hope that helps. i'm kinda surprised about this whole thing, as i had an iphone 4 prior to my note 2, and it was able to call no problem from the headset
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

i kinda figured you meant 'go'. i'm really looking for just a simple mono bt headset, not a stereo set. i want it to be just for making and receiving calls, i'm in my truck all day, and if i want music, either the radio or the player on the phone thru the car's audio is my preferred method. i'm reluctant to use the 'go' because i don't think it would be safe while driving. or am i missing something here?

No, not at all and I understand completely. Generally, out of similar need on my job, I only have the left ear in and use the right simply for control. They have the stay in them that works great and once they're in(or in this case the one), it's not coming out unless you pull it.

This is actually the first dual ear set I have ever had. I take that back, I originally purchased I think it was the lg set that was black with yellow trim, but it was doa out of the box, so I ended up getting these.

I have always had the single ear and for me, they never felt right, so I like ear bud regular headphones due to their changeable sized tips, so I thought to myself, I have 30 days if they just don't work for me. Because I use these for work, they have to be convenient and comfortable, while also, not easy to misplace, and the sound needs to be clear. These just fit the bill for me.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Matrox, thanx so much for all the hellp you provided. i might consider the beat go, because you said you can simply keep one ear bud in, and leave the other out while driving. that begs one more question, are you able to hear others around you when both buds are in? also, how is the battery life? is the battery in the control or behind each ear bud?

Sorry Im just responding. The battery life lasts me a whole day and I just plug it in at nightAnd not sure about. Your battery location but - it plugs in behind the right ear. And yes,with one Very easy but with both because of the sealyou, cant hear a thing .

Did I answer everything? Lol!

Sent from Note II on Tapa

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

I have the plantronics backbeat 903+ but same issue. No voice dial unless i swipe the phone. About 8hrs battery life and it is stereo slip headset. Don't like the noise canceling ear buds as they are dangerous while driving or around machines. The backbeat 903+fits the bill as you can still hear your surroundings and if you pause your music, the mic opens so that you can hear others.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

That's interesting. I had my wife allow me to double check and all ki had to do was turn the headset on, hook the Bluetooth, turn the display off and hold down the side button.

S voice then came up. I do have driving mode set to on, but I just began using that recently, while I've been using the set for a while.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

I too have been having the same issue and I think I just found the solution. I don't run a task killer but I am fairly diligent in closing out applications that I'm not using (long press home, swipe the apps I want to close). Svoice is one of the apps I would typically close. With Svoice closed, the screen turned off and locked (swipe only required to unlock), pressing the voice dial button on my Jawbone ERA would result in my phone saying I needed to swipe to unlock.

On a whim, I tried the same process again but this time without having closed Svoice. Activating voice dial on my ERA with the phone screen off and locked, took me straight to an Svoice screen where I could complete a voice dial.

So maybe that's the answer, just make sure Svoice is running and not closed out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, the biggest beast on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Trodecke View Post
    I too have been having the same issue and I think I just found the solution. I don't run a task killer but I am fairly diligent in closing out applications that I'm not using (long press home, swipe the apps I want to close). Svoice is one of the apps I would typically close. With Svoice closed, the screen turned off and locked (swipe only required to unlock), pressing the voice dial button on my Jawbone ERA would result in my phone saying I needed to swipe to unlock.

On a whim, I tried the same process again but this time without having closed Svoice. Activating voice dial on my ERA with the phone screen off and locked, took me straight to an Svoice screen where I could complete a voice dial.

So maybe that's the answer, just make sure Svoice is running and not closed out.

Hmm, let me try it and see. The has to be an answer because I am like yourself very strict about using that closeout feature also (so much that on nova, I set a swipe gesture so I don't have to hold down the button).

Hmm, it worked for me. But one thing I thought about: I only have my screen set up to swipe to open. I don't know if that's what it is?

And I'm including 2 screens of my settings?

Hopefully this helps?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360785811977.jpg   bluetooth headset advice-uploadfromtaptalk1360785823715.jpg  

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Mine is also set to only swipe to open. Without Svoice already running all I get is a lock screen. With Svoice already running I get Svoice.

Kewlness.

Hmmnn, maybe mine is odd:what::screwy:

Who knows to be honest, but I remember that even my first note worked the same way with my settings. I'm not quite sure of the problem then. It's got to be some setting within the device.