How to Group Text?

droidle429

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Samsung Galaxy, but as a Droid user I find this inability to group text the most infuriating flaw. It's almost a dealbreaker, I'd say. The majority of my friends have iPhones, and I'm constantly getting group messages I can't reply to. It makes for very confusing exchanges.

Seems like a very fundamental thing to fix, like ... yesterday.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, there are quite a few Android phones that do group text messaging correctly, out of the box. My year and a half old Rezound, for example.

And I think most if not all the rest can do it using Verizon Messages (an app in Google Play - if you're on Verizon) or GoSMS Pro.

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Steps for getting group text with handcent to work on AT&T note 2

1 . download handcent
2. From main conversation list view, hit your left touch key, bringing up a menu.
3. Select settings, then application settings.
4. Scroll down and select thread group conversation.
5. Hit your right touch key to go back 1 screen, and click on send message settings.
6. Select send as split threads,
7. Hit your right touch key to go back 1 screen, and click on receive message settings.
8. Select auto retrieve, roaming auto retrieve, and auto download.

I set handcent as my default messaging app initially, then within my stock messaging app, set that back to the default messaging app. I use handcent only for group texting. It seems to lag a bit with large groups or if you have a lot of other stuff running. Also unsure if the roaming auto retrieve is necessary, but that is what I have set and it works.

Reboot after updating settings and feel free to hit me up with any questions. Honestly no clue how I figured this out, just a lot of trial and error while taking some good poops. Absurd we have to do this to group text.

coryh131

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 2 and S4 (both with AT&T) and the biggest reason I'm going to keep the S4 over the Note 2 is because of this texting issue. Group texting works great on the S4 just like an iPhone or Windows phone. And texting photos / videos works like the iPhone now too on the S4.

I was hoping there was a software update for the Note 2 that fixed these issues so I wouldn't have to sell it. The texting issues are a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 2 and S4 (both with AT&T) and the biggest reason I'm going to keep the S4 over the Note 2 is because of this texting issue. Group texting works great on the S4 just like an iPhone or Windows phone. And texting photos / videos works like the iPhone now too on the S4.

I was hoping there was a software update for the Note 2 that fixed these issues so I wouldn't have to sell it. The texting issues are a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Yah, and these features on the Verizon note 2 work seamlessly. So perfect, what a bunch of **** nuggets

JJ Jameson

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I must say group texting has become the most used feature on my phone. I actually have TMobile, HTC Sensation. Have been using Go SMS Pro for a while now, and it generally works. Occasionally, when I reply within a group conversation, one of the members of the group will be omitted from the reply, and suddenly there's a new group thread created which is just a nightmare when the convo is dynamic at that moment. Has anyone seen this? Most of my friends have the iPhone, and really I'm at the point where I may make the switch as well. My phone is almost two years old....

KRAZYK817

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just so we are clear.. there is no way to group text while using the stock messenger?

It really bothers me that other Note 2's can do this but the AT&T version can not...

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Just so we are clear.. there is no way to group text while using the stock messenger?

It really bothers me that other Note 2's can do this but the AT&T version can not...

I could never find a way. My g/f is still using Go SMS Pro because of that.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The att messages app does it correctly and also integrates voicemail notification as well. The only thing it doesnt do and notification light which has quickly become my fav feature of the stock messaging app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying there's an app named "AT&T Messages" that is different than the stock Samsung Messages app? Is it on the phone as stock? Is it in the Play store?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It is in the play store. When you send out multiple texts to multiple people all the replys come back to your original mass message not seperate like it is the stock messaging app.

KRAZYK817

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am interested about this as well.. what about Go SMS Pro? does it reply to the group or does it send out individual texts to everyone?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I am interested about this as well.. what about Go SMS Pro? does it reply to the group or does it send out individual texts to everyone?

Go SMS Pro can be set to reply to the group. That is what my g/f uses, since the stock Messages app doesn't work right.

KRAZYK817

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just installed and set up the group thing.. I noticed a big problem right off the bat with Go SMS - it doesn't utilize the sensor motion to call the contact feature of the phone. Is there a setting to fix this?
If you are wondering what I am talking about.. I mean the feature that allows you to read a text from someone and just put the phone up to your ear and it will automatically call the contact.
I use it all the time.. more than group texting even.

What a PITA.. all I want is a messenger that does it all.. is that too much to ask?! :p

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
And when other people reply, does their reply go to everybody that I sent my original message to?

I dont know how if appears in everyone elses screen. Also, almost everyone I know has an iphone. I think the messages app may be exclusive to att customers though.

adam1314#IM

May 7, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is 4.2.2 allows group texingt. That is why the S4 works but the GN2 does not. Perhaps when the 4.2.2 update comes out for the GN2 all will be well.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
My point really was that it's not really a limitation of the device or the version of the OS. It's just having the right app. Even my old Thunderbolt could do it, once I downloaded the Verizon Messages app from the Play store.

Sadly, there's just something stupid wrong with the OEM Messages app on the AT&T Note 2 that makes it not work correctly for group texting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo