Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question GN2 Call log issues

I've had the note 2 since about a month or so after release and I love it. Such a great step forward from my Atrix 4G. Recently I have been running into some issues with the call log. Missed calls have been missing and now are not showing up in the log. I will get a notification and when I select it, the missed call is nowhere to be found. I have the log set to show all calls and have tried setting it to only missed calls. The phone has service when the calls are received. Additionally, certain completed calls to and from the device don't show up in the logs. About a week ago, all calls disappeared from the logs. After messing with it today trying to figure it out, I noticed that if I hold the phone in landscape orientation, the missed calls appear as do the completed calls that are missing from the list in portrait orientation. If I go back to portrait orientation, the missed calls no longer show up and many of the completed calls are missing. What could this be?

I am trying to avoid a complete reset if at all possible. Here is what I have done:

-Restarts
    -Cleared Log cache
    -Deleted various apps that have phone/contacts access
    -Selected different view options in the log menu

I can call my GN2 from my home phone and let it go into voicemail. The GN2 will ring, the call will be missed, and the notifications for missed call and voicemail will appear. As soon as I select the missed call notification, the log opens up but fails to show the missed call. Alternatively, if I ignore the notification and go into the call log directly, the missed call still will not show up.

Has anyone else had a run-in with this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Default Re: GN2 Call log issues

My AT&T GN2 has been doing this for some time as well. It's irritating because it only happens to certain contacts on my phone. Sometimes when I have missed calls from numbers not stored as contacts it does it as well. I turned my phone in landscape and they show up (thanks for the tip!). All of my contacts are synced up through my Google accounts for home and work. Maybe that has something to do with it. Hopefully they will issue a fix soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Oomwehmweh Bloodhoof View Post

Has anyone else had a run-in with this issue? If so, how did you fix it?
    what launcher are you using?
    what AT&T apps do you have installed?

I am completely stock here. The only at&t app I use is the visual voicemail app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBeaver View Post
    I am completely stock here. The only at&t app I use is the visual voicemail app.

Do you have the 4.1.2 update installed? This update has been known to create issues with landscape / portrait mode settings for some owners.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I am using a stock setup with the usual at&t apps (which I don't use). I do have update 4.1.2

Thanks for the responses all. Good insight.

Yes I have the 4.1.2 update as well. Hopefully they are working on a fix for this.

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

Thank you so much for the landscape mode tip. I've been having the same missing call log issue on my ATT GN2, running both stock and a custom ROM. While it's not a fix, it certainly does help.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBeaver View Post
    My AT&T GN2 has been doing this for some time as well. It's irritating because it only happens to certain contacts on my phone. Sometimes when I have missed calls from numbers not stored as contacts it does it as well. I turned my phone in landscape and they show up (thanks for the tip!). All of my contacts are synced up through my Google accounts for home and work. Maybe that has something to do with it. Hopefully they will issue a fix soon!

Omg!!! I've been through 3 Galaxy Note 2 because I thought it was the phone. Happy to see I'm not crazy and it's a software issue. Sucks it's happening to the important calls only!!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    The homie Drake said it best.... YOLO!!!!

I have the GN2 from T-Mobile and my phone has the same problem now after the last update pushed by T-Mobile.

Angry Re: GN2 Call log issues

The call log issue - holding the phone vertically you do not see all the calls in the log but if you rotate the phone holding it horizontally you will see them all.

I did a reset, it does not work. I then installed the Kies software to my computer and used my computer to update the firmware. This worked initially but it somehow reverted to the same crap a day later. It appears it is an issue with the software (firmware) on the phone.

Same issue here, I have the tmobile note 2 . 4.1.2 update, however Thanks for the temporary fix on turning the phone sideways

I'm having the same problem as well. Losing all of those phone calls was so irritating!! What I have noticed though is that ALL your calls will show when you tilt the phone into landscape position. I think the real issue is the programming doesn't allow for the longer contact names in the portrait mode so they just don't show up. Anyone in my call log with a short name is always in the log just fine. Same goes for missed calls that aren't in your contact list. It'll label it: Missed Call which is apparently too long for portrait mode.

Til they get it fixed I suggest just tipping your phone into landscape mode when your check your call log. :P

The issue has been fixed, your phone should've been updated yesterday. Logs should be displaying calls correctly now.

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

What exactly was fixed and who (Samsung or ATT) pushed it out?

Quote Originally Posted by kdd_526 View Post
    The issue has been fixed, your phone should've been updated yesterday. Logs should be displaying calls correctly now.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

T-Mobile has not pushed out a fix yet. If some other carrier has it, that's promising. This is very annoying.

We (my daughter and I) just brought the GN2 less than a week ago and it's doing the same thing. We called our phone carrier and was told that's the way the phone is designed to do that. My daughter went and got another phone to see if it was a malfunction of the phone, but it's not. The new phone does the same exact thing. So it's nothing really could be done. I think it's pretty unique

Oomwehmweh Bloodhoof

Yes, I had the same issue and this is what happened to me (SGN 2 - T-Mobile):

The complete call Logs list on the Note 2 is only in landscape mode. I got mine on May 3rd 2013 and call Logs worked fine for all calls until May 8th in portrait mode. On May 9th it started to show all calls only in landscape mode. What I notice is not the size of the name, but for me is the area code (801). All inbound and outbound calls from the same area code is displaying only when I rotate the phone to landscape mode. Messages are just fine in either position, even for the same area code. Any call with different area code is displayed normally in portrait mode.
    Until I figured that out it took me two phone calls to T-Mobile tech support and three to Samsung tech support and nobody new about this kind of issue. I exchanged my phone and as well the SIM card. So, finally I got a conclusion that is an issue that needs to be worked by Samsung/Google/T-Mobile. I had four other Android phones, and this is the first time I had this kind of issue. For the entire tech imbedded in this phone, and price, I hope they fix this quick.

I did a factory reset and hard reset on last Thursday 9th. It worked just fine until I believe so midnight. On Friday 10th the same problem was back. Again I did another factory reset and cleaned the cache. The same problem kept going. It was then that I switched phone and SIM card. Same issue. Need to be patient until they work on that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by kdd_526 View Post
    The problem still keeps going. I got mine on May 3rd and on May 8th the problem just showed up on my phone. Since this never happened with my 4 other Android phones I had, I got a second phone and SIM card, not before restarts, cleared Log cache, deleted various apps that have phone/contacts access, selected different view options in the log menu, factory reset, and hard reset. And the problem keeps going. What I notice this issue is only for the calls (in/out) that are identified correctly with the same area code as my phone (801). Same area code, but lets say with a blocked number, it shows up ok in portrait mode. Like someone said above: "It appears it is an issue with the software (firmware) on the phone."

After a hard reset, it worked just fine for the rest of the day. The next day the problem was back.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I uninstalled updates to AT&T messages as well and this so far has resolved the problem of both contacts randomly disappearing as well as SMS messages and Phone call logs.

Turned the phone and there is the full calls log! WOW. I feel stupid and so happy at the same time- thank you!

BTW still having the issue on 7/30/13 US Cellular as carrier.

Stan in CA