Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Considering switch to at&t

I currently have the N2 on Verizon and I am considering a switch. I will be able to save about $35 per month for my family plan and at the same time increase my data allowance. That sound like a no brainer unless the service is bad.

I am looking for some feedback on the quality of the service you are all receiving. Both voice and data. I live in Omaha and regularly travel through Western Iowa, nebraska and southeast south Dakota for my job. VZ has awesome service and LTE in most places. Where they don't their 3g is terrible. As long as I can get quality service I will make the switch.

For those that will suggest it, I have thought about buying a phone to try out for 14 days, but there is still a cost associated with that. I may end up doing that anyway, but I'm hoping to get some feedback.

I posted this in the N2 forum because the quality of the radio is excellent on this phone and it will give me a true comparison.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

Default Re: Considering switch to at&t

I'm in the chicagoland area and have lte 93% of the time, otherwise it drops to 4g.
    No issues with call or data, never have 1 dropped call and I got this phone since release date. Hope that helps.
    Verizon? Hate them with all my guts. Terrible service and coverage for me
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm tired of getting nickeled and dimed. Extra for vvm, extra to use the Good app, more cost per line without a decreasing amount with more data.

Current Devices:

You should ask people in your immediate area. They can tell you more specifics. The city may have good coverage, but you may be in a spot with poor coverage.

With regards to cost, I pay just under $45 for my share of the family plan on Verizon with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE. Beware that att does not offer unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, If that is a concern. I wouldn't be saving anything switching to att and lose unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, so it is not worth it to me, but if you save a good amount, then it may be worth it to you.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I posted because of my travel so I am hoping to get some feedback in that regard. I am on share everything now, so unlimited is not an issue.

Current Devices:

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    I posted because of my travel so I am hoping to get some feedback in that regard. I am on share everything now, so unlimited is not an issue.

That's the thing. Just depends on where you are. Some might have good coverage overall, but if the specific place that you are going has bad coverage, then you are out of luck. Even in Los Angeles, coverage is excellent, however, there are pockets of bad service areas. Even within the same building, some areas may get good coverage, other areas crap.

With regards to cost, if the old family plan is cheaper, you can still get them by assuming liability of an old family share plan, particularly if you are a heavy data user and want unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE. Moving to a share everything plan would cost me hundreds more a month. Even if I went with the 1gb plan, it would cost me probably near $100 more pet month

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

I actually am thinking about moving to verizon. Verizon has had lte for 2 years here in shreveport, La. Yet the closest att lte tower is 200 miles away. No word on when we getting lte.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I'm on AT&T and live in a small KY community where the network is still 3G (the neighboring town is about 2,000 people and I'd generously guess 7,000 in the town where I live in the middle of). It works just fine, but browsing slows down noticeably when I travel to one of the bigger cities like Owensboro or Bowling Green (BG even has 4G and it's still a bit slower). I think it's because the network where my house is isn't as overloaded as it is in the city, so the service is better. And just in the past few years it was upgraded to 3G here. I've had a few dropped calls, but I don't know if it's my phone or the other person's who does it (it's not consistent at all, so I'm guessing it's who I'm talking to).

Also, I was in LA last month and the 4G there outright SUCKED as far as browsing went. According to Speedtest.net's app, I was getting only .3 Mbps download and .17 Mbps upload at 4 in the afternoon. I know LA is overloaded with people, but compared to my home where it's just 3G, I've seen 3x that download speed (.92 Mbps) at 3:30 in the afternoon.
    Error

Quote Originally Posted by BeRich View Post
    I'm on AT&T and live in a small KY community where the network is still 3G (the neighboring town is about 2,000 people and I'd generously guess 7,000 in the town where I live in the middle of). It works just fine, but browsing slows down noticeably when I travel to one of the bigger cities like Owensboro or Bowling Green (BG even has 4G and it's still a bit slower). I think it's because the network where my house is isn't as overloaded as it is in the city, so the service is better. And just in the past few years it was upgraded to 3G here. I've had a few dropped calls, but I don't know if it's my phone or the other person's who does it (it's not consistent at all, so I'm guessing it's who I'm talking to).

Also, I was in LA last month and the 4G there outright SUCKED as far as browsing went. According to Speedtest.net's app, I was getting only .3 Mbps download and .17 Mbps upload at 4 in the afternoon. I know LA is overloaded with people, but compared to my home where it's just 3G, I've seen 3x that download speed (.92 Mbps) at 3:30 in the afternoon.
    It depends on a variety of factors. I have seen speeds in the 30s, 40s and 50s at 4-6 pm in densely populated areas on Verizon in Los Angeles, just depends on where you are. 8-15 Mbps is more typical though .I have never seen less than 1mbps on 4GLTE, except in marginal signal areas.

Here is a screen shot from today.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Considering switch to at&t-uploadfromtaptalk1363911580678.jpg  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

I actually left Verizon for AT&T back in January. Where I live in Annapolis, MD, I actually get better reception. With the unlimited mobile to any mobile calling, I was able to cut my voice plan way down, so I am actually paying less. Plus I noticed in places which I frequently travel that I've gotten better reception. I had the Samsung Galaxy S3 on both AT&T and Verizon.
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I just went and bought an AT&T GS3 to test the coverage for the next 2 weeks. My travels over the next couple weeks will take me to the most challenging parts of my territory. If get good service and coverage I will be making the switch from VZ. I will save $35 per month and increase my data allotment from 4GB to 10GB because of AT&Ts declining per phone cost on their mobile share plan. I would be bringing 4 smart phones. They also don't charge to use the Good app, which VZ charges $15 and no charge for VVM.

I will easily offset the cost of my new phones by selling the old ones. My wife and daughter will even get new iPhones out of the deal. I may even get to choose between the N2, One or S4. I will have 60 days to decide with Best Buy.

Current Devices:

I just went and bought an AT&T GS3 to test the coverage for the next 2 weeks. My travels over the next couple weeks will take me to the most challenging parts of my territory. If get good service and coverage I will be making the switch from VZ. I will save $35 per month and increase my data allotment from 4GB to 10GB because of AT&Ts declining per phone cost on their mobile share plan. I would be bringing 4 smart phones. They also don't charge to use the Good app, which VZ charges $15 and no charge for VVM.

I will easily offset the cost of my new phones by selling the old ones. My wife and daughter will even get new iPhones out of the deal. I may even get to choose between the N2, One or S4. I will have 60 days to decide with Best Buy.

Fyi, i an assuming that you are a silver member, so yes, 60 days return period, but your contract is locked after 14 days regardless of where you bought it.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Fyi, i an assuming that you are a silver member, so yes, 60 days return period, but your contract is locked after 14 days regardless of where you bought it.

Correct on both counts. If it works out I will keep it and wait a bit to see what I want. N2, S4 or One. I was pleased to see the GS3 has the same features as my VZ N2 as far as s-note, with the ability to choose the stylus rather than type. I already have an extra spen. I'm assuming the S4 will have the same features.

Current Devices:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

So I'm driving through central and western nebraska with my new AT&T phone and the data drops down to "E". Man, is it slow. It looks like this is partner coverage at 2g according to the map. These data speeds aren't even useable. I tried streaming some music and it buffered more than it played.

Voice coverage was excellent though, but I sure hope this 2g coverage isn't the norm outside metro areas. We just drove from Nebraska to Florida a couple weeks ago and we had LTE with VZ most of the drive.

Current Devices:

We just drove from Nebraska to Florida a couple weeks ago and we had LTE with VZ most of the drive.
    This is why many people will pay more to be on VZW network.
    I voided my warranty.

E indicates edge, which is 2g. Very slow speeds for sure

at&t is quite good and does have some attractive plans. not only that, but I travel to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands regularly and because they're US territories, they're included as domestic areas under at&t. so load up on the calls and data down there. Family friends came to visit us one year down on St. John and they had nothing in coverage, all international rates for voice and data. oh well. but they had a great time not being connected. maybe that's changed for verizon, haven't looked in the last year. but staying on at&t because of US territories and just the general coverage under at&t was great for my family. LTE wasn't such a big thing for us; I'd take domestic coverage ability in US territories over LTE any day.

Quote Originally Posted by rankar7 View Post
    at&t is quite good and does have some attractive plans. not only that, but I travel to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands regularly and because they're US territories, they're included as domestic areas under at&t. so load up on the calls and data down there. Family friends came to visit us one year down on St. John and they had nothing in coverage, all international rates for voice and data. oh well. but they had a great time not being connected. maybe that's changed for verizon, haven't looked in the last year. but staying on at&t because of US territories and just the general coverage under at&t was great for my family. LTE wasn't such a big thing for us; I'd take domestic coverage ability in US territories over LTE any day.
    My issue with att is that they don't offer unlimited unthrottled 4G (lte or even hspa+). Depends on your needs though. Of course voice connectivity is important. Whatever carrier gives you connectivity where you are and where you normally go is the best fit for you.

rankar7 likes this.

My issue with att is that they don't offer unlimited unthrottled 4G (lte or even hspa+). Depends on your needs though. Of course voice connectivity is important. Whatever carrier gives you connectivity where you are and where you normally go is the best fit for you.

well said. there's a carrier for everyone.

My issue with att is that they don't offer unlimited unthrottled 4G (lte or even hspa+).
    Neither does Verizon anymore unless you are willing to change your phone number and pay a large "activation fee" by assuming liability of someone else's grandfathered plan.
    I voided my warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    Neither does Verizon anymore unless you are willing to change your phone number and pay a large "activation fee" by assuming liability of someone else's grandfathered plan.
    Not an issue for me since I am grandfathered. I was not aware of any activation fee. I did the assumption of liability process a few years back, I don't remember any charge, but maybe it is new. If you know someone willing to give you their account, the cost should be minimal. Of course, if you don't know anyone, then you will have to buy an account, last I checked it was selling fur around $250 on ebay. The cost of $60gb on a current plan would cost me a lot of money...

If you use a large amount of data, and verizon has good coverage for you, then it is an option.

last I checked it was selling fur around $250 on ebay.
    That is the "activation fee" I was referring to. It is not charged by Verizon but rather the cost of assuming the liability on the line.

Verizon only stopped offering unlimited data in July of 2011. So it's been less than 2 years.
    I voided my warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    That is the "activation fee" I was referring to. It is not charged by Verizon but rather the cost of assuming the liability on the line.

Verizon only stopped offering unlimited data in July of 2011. So it's been less than 2 years.
    Ah ok, the "fee" can be avoided though... If you know someone who is willing to give you their account

I assumed liability on my current account years ago. Not because of unlimited data, but for other reasons.

last I checked it was selling fur around $250 on ebay.
    That is the "activation fee" I was referring to. It is not charged by Verizon but rather the cost of assuming liability on the line.

I did the assumption of liability process a few years back
    Verizon only stopped offering unlimited data in July of 2011. So it's been less than 2 years. Some were able to get it up until March of 2012 through the loophole.
    I voided my warranty.