Another Apple Defector...

JakeInFla

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Jake here. Long time Apple user. (IPhone 3GS, 4 and iPad 2) After reading and watching reviews, checking out this forum, contemplating Apple's lack luster 5 and IOS 6 releases, weighing the Note's customization abilities, feature sets, screen size, speed, and other geeky attributes I mulled it all over and I've decided to head over to Best Buy tomorrow and pick myself up a Titanium AT&T Note 2 early birthday present.

I was considering waiting for the Note 3 release, but that's a no go. I need a new phone a.s.a.p, and the $199 price point makes it a no brainer. Obsolescence is impossible to perpetually trump without very deep pockets and alot of patience. 2 things I lack.. So a Note 2 it is! ;)

I did read about the Otterbox Defender case dust and fitment issues. I posted a question to their FB page asking if the design flaws were addressed and if so, how to identify the sku or model number of updated cases to ensure I avoid a "bad case". Their repy was...

"We don't see those as common issues. If you do run into any problems we have a fantastic warranty and you are welcome to contact us for a replacement!"

That being said I'll pick a Defender up anyway and try the work arounds if necessary. My Defender has saved my phone hundreds of times from drops so it's still a trusted product for that purpose in my opinion. Griffin doesn't have any plans for a Note 2 case release so the Defender will have to do. .

Looking forward to checking out the Note 2's Jellybean flavored awesomeness tomorrow. Great forum. Lots of useful information and good reviews and advice. Appreciate it.

Later...

~J

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a culture change.

You'll find a lot of things you can do and then disappointed at some things you can't do that Apple did natively so well (total backup and restore, notification badges, easy data integration, lockscreen notifications, group texting, etc.)

And get ready to buy apps. Because you'll find that the only real android apps worth having are the ones you have to buy. There's a lot of crap apps in the android market.

Here's an honest assessment of the forever work in progress (and cell carrier dependent version) of the operating system called android:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/18/ux-things-i-hate-about-android/

Don't get me wrong I love my note 2. Android is quirky, buggy, and flexible. But we are always waiting for the next version to fix something in the current version.

And lastly, there is no imessage equivalent on Android. So turn off iMessage on all your devices or you won't be receiving any texts on your note 2 and you'll avoid the "how come I'm not receiving texts" post on the forums.

Let us know if we can help. Have fun.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

srmojuze

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I switched at the end of last year. Whatever the case, Android has a future, Apple Without Steve Jobs may not have a bright one.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It's a culture change.

You'll find a lot of things you can do and then disappointed at some things you can't do that Apple did natively so well (total backup and restore, notification badges, easy data integration, lockscreen notifications, group texting, etc.)

And get ready to buy apps. Because you'll find that the only real android apps worth having are the ones you have to buy. There's a lot of crap apps in the android market.

Here's an honest assessment of the forever work in progress (and cell carrier dependent version) of the operating system called android:

Stock Android Isn't Perfect: These Are The Things I Can't Stand About Jelly Bean

Don't get me wrong I love my note 2. Android is quirky, buggy, and flexible. But we are always waiting for the next version to fix something in the current version.

And lastly, there is no imessage equivalent on Android. So turn off iMessage on all your devices or you won't be receiving any texts on your note 2 and you'll avoid the "how come I'm not receiving texts" post on the forums.

Let us know if we can help. Have fun.

SO MUCH incorrect info in this post..
Total backup and restore? Titanium backup, backup pro, make a nandroid of ANY rom you have set up and restore it automatically, and several more options as well..
Notification badges? Tesla Unread, among others do it for free..
Group texting? Several apps/roms do this natively....
"Quirky and Buggy"??? Dont know what roms/software You are using, but there are tons of them that work flawlessly...

Just goes to show you have to do the research on your own in life, and not believe everything you read in an internet forum...
Good luck, and trust me, you'll never go backwards to Apple again..

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
SO MUCH incorrect info in this post..
Total backup and restore? Titanium backup, backup pro, make a nandroid of ANY rom you have set up and restore it automatically, and several more options as well..
Notification badges? Tesla Unread, among others do it for free..
Group texting? Several apps/roms do this natively....
"Quirky and Buggy"??? Dont know what roms/software You are using, but there are tons of them that work flawlessly...

Just goes to show you have to do the research on your own in life, and not believe everything you read in an internet forum...
Good luck, and trust me, you'll never go backwards to Apple again..

Everything you just mentioned requires modification to your note2 or requires you to download an app. When I said native, I meant native to the OS, in this case iOS right out of the box. I'm not sure how you're interpreting native but there's obviously something lost in your translation.

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It's a culture change.................And lastly, there is no imessage equivalent on Android. So turn off iMessage on all your devices or you won't be receiving any texts on your note 2 and you'll avoid the "how come I'm not receiving texts" post on the forums. ...................

If you don't leave your old sim card in the iphone, you won't have this issue. I regularly swap my sim cards out because I still use my iphone for my workouts. The music player is much better, and if it gets abused, I am not near as heartbroken as if my Note 2 takes a tumble.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
If you don't leave your old sim card in the iphone, you won't have this issue. I regularly swap my sim cards out because I still use my iphone for my workouts. The music player is much better, and if it gets abused, I am not near as heartbroken as if my Note 2 takes a tumble.

I think this could still happen without the sim because the iphone can connect to wifi and imessage would activate. i haven't tried this, so i'm not sure. so just thinking out loud here... but correct me if I'm wrong.

Xavier Dyer

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm also defecting from the dark side. I've been with apple since the first IPhone and have had everyone since. I switched because I hated the lack of innovation, Android has had NFC for two or three years now and apple still doesn't have it and IOS just seems like an app draw that's the same every year. Just got the HTC one and I couldn't be happier, freedom to customize and hey if I don't like stock messaging or music player I can download another one. Gotta love that.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think this could still happen without the sim because the iphone can connect to wifi and imessage would activate. i haven't tried this, so i'm not sure. so just thinking out loud here... but correct me if I'm wrong.

That IS how imessage works, imessage is connected via email address not phone number, that why once you set it up on your phone you can receive/reply from a mac, ipod touch and ipad. Its also why you can only use imessage with other apple devices. If the opposite user doesnt have apple device they will receive a regular sms message.

I too was a long time apple user before the note 2. There are only 1 or 2 things I wish I had natively, a better group message and some kind of of all in one sync.

Just deactivate imessage on your phone before you remove your sim and all should be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
A couple people have mentioned things you might miss from iOS, let me add a couple more (former 3GS to Android to iPhone 5 back to Note 2 user here)

-You might miss being limited in how you can share things. Whereas you used to be extremely limited in the number of apps you could share directly to, on Android, you'll have your choice of being able to share without having to open other apps directly.
-You might miss the keyboard...you know, having to hit the "Alt" key for any character that isn't one of the 26 letters of the alphabet. Swype, SwiftKey,heck, even the default Android 4 keyboard...all good. You use what fits you best.
-You might miss having to go through iTunes to add an mp3 directly to your library. It's a shame that we can download a track, whether from online or through an email and add it right to our library. A shame, I tell you. ;)
-You might miss not having a file access system as well.

All of the above was written tongue in cheek. Not bashing apple, there are several things the iphone does well at; it's a great phone for my wife, mother, and sister...keeps me from having to play tech support (although my bro-in-law did tell me his wife (not a techy) picked the S4 over the i5, so Samsung at least is getting there).

Welcome to Android, and android central.

Jake here. Long time Apple user. (IPhone 3GS, 4 and iPad 2) After reading and watching reviews, checking out this forum, contemplating Apple's lack luster 5 and IOS 6 releases, weighing the Note's customization abilities, feature sets, screen size, speed, and other geeky attributes I mulled it all over and I've decided to head over to Best Buy tomorrow and pick myself up a Titanium AT&T Note 2 early birthday present.

I was considering waiting for the Note 3 release, but that's a no go. I need a new phone a.s.a.p, and the $199 price point makes it a no brainer. Obsolescence is impossible to perpetually trump without very deep pockets and alot of patience. 2 things I lack.. So a Note 2 it is! ;)

I did read about the Otterbox Defender case dust and fitment issues. I posted a question to their FB page asking if the design flaws were addressed and if so, how to identify the sku or model number of updated cases to ensure I avoid a "bad case". Their repy was...

"We don't see those as common issues. If you do run into any problems we have a fantastic warranty and you are welcome to contact us for a replacement!"

That being said I'll pick a Defender up anyway and try the work arounds if necessary. My Defender has saved my phone hundreds of times from drops so it's still a trusted product for that purpose in my opinion. Griffin doesn't have any plans for a Note 2 case release so the Defender will have to do. .

Looking forward to checking out the Note 2's Jellybean flavored awesomeness tomorrow. Great forum. Lots of useful information and good reviews and advice. Appreciate it.

Later...

~J

epeter

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I too am an iOS defector. Had an iPhone 4, got tired of the walls and tiny screen and just all the Apple crap. Anyway, AT&T had refurb GN2s on their site for $10 so I had no choice but to make the jump. My phone came yesterday, this morning I got an update to a much better wifi radio (haven't made a call yet so I don't know if that's any better), and im not looking back. I couldn't be happier with this. Every OS is going to have its issues and quirks and Android certainly won't be without them, I'm sure.

The only thing I miss at this point is not having all the ATT branded apps and carrier crap that Apple wouldnt allow to be put on to the iPhone. Oh well. Rooting will clear that right up.

From my Galaxy Note 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ive rooted and debloated and getting rid of all those bloatware apps might save 1gb total. Im thinking its less though. It wasnt much and not tsomething ill think ill ever miss if I had kept them. While root is very useful in this instance you may not even notice the saved space. If root isnt something you want to tackle right away you can always go in and hide the apps so atleast you dont have to go through a bunch of crap whille searching for what you really want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech