It's a good thing! Right!

bellarue

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
So, I researched and decided to ditch my iphone 4 for the Galaxy Note 2. Believe me when i say, no one encouraged me! The sales girl at AT&T discouraged it, as did the "business" rep! Why? I guess they think a middle aged teacher cant learn something new? I am excited!!!!! Any tips?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So, I researched and decided to ditch my iphone 4 for the Galaxy Note 2. Believe me when i say, no one encouraged me! The sales girl at AT&T discouraged it, as did the "business" rep! Why? I guess they think a middle aged teacher cant learn something new? I am excited!!!!! Any tips?

Welcome! Whatever your age, we will, try our best to help you through the learning curve :) if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums and Android!!

While I don't have a Note 2, I would suggest taking a few days to get used to the new OS. After that, try downloading a different launcher from Play. A launcher is like a different UI, and allows more customizing. Popular ones include Nova, ADW, GO and Apex. I love Nova. You can change grid layout in the app drawer and homescreens ( for an analogy to Windows, think start menu and desktop respectively) , scrolling speed and animation, number of icons in the dock and number of dock pages, plus more. Everything I listed is in the free version, too. And you can be stock to utilize all these changes.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! Whatever your age, we will, try our best to help you through the learning curve :) if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

Hoo Yah!

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site

There's a lot of useful tips and tricks you can learn just from watching youtube videos about the note 2. Welcome to android!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'll start you out with a tip. Press and hold the power and home button at the same time and it will take a screenshot.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'll start you out with a tip. Press and hold the power and home button at the same time and it will take a screenshot.

An alternative method, if enabled, is to place your hand on the screen, in a karate chop position, and swipe it across the screen from left to right. (Your pinky and the side of your hand will be touching the screen.)

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Double press the home button. This will open Google now. If you don't use Google now that often then you will want to disable this. It causes a delay in the amount of time it takes after pressing the home button to get to the home screen because it's waiting to see if you're going to double press. Go to setting in Google now and you can disable the double press option thus speeding up your home button.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If you find that the animation between pages is a little too much for you, ie, makes the OS feel slow or laggy, you can disable all animations in the developer settings in your settings menu. This often helps a phone feel "snappier."

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Settings>accounts>google>maps and latitude>location reporting set to "do not update your location". But remember when you do this your apps will not automatically update your location. Which is only really useful if you use say, Google now or services like that anyways. If you set it like I laid out here your maps will not be constantly coming on in the background and updating and killing your battery in the process.

Next step. Download "wakelock detector" from the app store. This application will tell you what apps are keeping your phone awake and using your battery. This will tell us right away if you have any rogue applications using unnecessary power.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
One more tip for now. Keep your phone charged but do not leave it on the charger for longer than it needs when you can help it. A good rule of thumb is to keep it above 40% and when it's fully charged take it off the charger. If you forget or it stays charging while you're asleep it's not a big deal but the less wear on the battery the longer it will last.