I think I'm having reception issues

mrscaston30

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I just purchased my note 2 about two months ago and I generally have a really good signal all throughout my house. Even in the back where it's hard to get any reception on any device I own. But I've noticed since I've purchased it, there are a few times where I have really low reception with my 4g LTE. Wifi is almost non existent in my bedroom so I don't even bother turning it on and that's an issue I've had since we moved here. But as I sit in my office which is closer to the router, I still only have two bars and that's highly unusual for me. I've searched the site and I haven't been able to find solutions for non rooted phones. Is there a solution to this problem or an app that can fix the reception issue I am having? Is this a typical issue with Note 2's?

View attachment 84247

bedroom.jpg

The first image is of my living room signal strength and the second image is of my bedroom signal strength and it's been like this since yesterday.

Attachments

• living room.jpg
    living room.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just purchased my note 2 about two months ago and I generally have a really good signal all throughout my house. Even in the back where it's hard to get any reception on any device I own. But I've noticed since I've purchased it, there are a few times where I have really low reception with my 4g LTE. Wifi is almost non existent in my bedroom so I don't even bother turning it on and that's an issue I've had since we moved here. But as I sit in my office which is closer to the router, I still only have two bars and that's highly unusual for me. I've searched the site and I haven't been able to find solutions for non rooted phones. Is there a solution to this problem or an app that can fix the reception issue I am having? Is this a typical issue with Note 2's?

The first image is of my living room signal strength and the second image is of my bedroom signal strength and it's been like this since yesterday.

Welcome to the forums!
Have you received any updates recently?

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
What type of router do you have? Is it wireless B, G, N, AC, or all the above. Note that wireless b, g, have the weakest signals and do not travel through walls very well. Also, when was the last time you restarted your router. Another thing is, if you have a N router and have it setup to transmit a, b, g, and N the fastest the router will be is as fast as the slowest a, b, or g device using the router. I have FIOS and I have all my G devices on the FIOS modem/router and my N devices on my N router. I get 72mbps on my Note 2. My router is about 2 years old or more. A newer router may give a higher speed. Note that all N routers are not the same. Where routers and modems go, remember you get what you pay for. Cheap on these is not the way to go. But you don't need the most expensive either.

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Android Central Forums

mrscaston30

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What type of router do you have? Is it wireless B, G, N, AC, or all the above. Note that wireless b, g, have the weakest signals and do not travel through walls very well. Also, when was the last time you restarted your router. Another thing is, if you have a N router and have it setup to transmit a, b, g, and N the fastest the router will be is as fast as the slowest a, b, or g device using the router. I have FIOS and I have all my G devices on the FIOS modem/router and my N devices on my N router. I get 72mbps on my Note 2. My router is about 2 years old or more. A newer router may give a higher speed. Note that all N routers are not the same. Where routers and modems go, remember you get what you pay for. Cheap on these is not the way to go. But you don't need the most expensive either.

Whew Jeffrey, that's a lot lol. Let me go check. I know we had a net gear router once upon a time but we have u verse and when they came to install everything, they used their router. We've had that one switched out due to some signal issues about a year ago. It used to have poor signal strength every night after one am so they came and changed the router. I'll check and see what kind it is now and get back to you. FYI, I wish we had fios but the city we live in won't allow it. Too much competition I suppose.

mrscaston30

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Ok I looked at the router and I am even more confused than before. I googled it and found this webpage that explains a little bit about the router. Maybe in that description it will tell you what it does because I am not that intelligent in router language.

2Wire 3800HGV Residential Gateway Hardware Analysis - IHS iSuppli? Teardown analysis service provides access to complete bill of materials, cost model & component pricing. To learn more, call us at 1-310-524-4007.at iSuppli

Once you read that, maybe you can tell me what it means because I am completely clueless. All I know is we've had it a while and that's the only device we have. Oh we do have an apple airport express too if that helps anything.

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the Uverse. Your DSL modem is limited to wireless G and Uverse is limited to 24mbps and 3mbps up. You have a few choices to boost in home signal and speed. 1 buy a wireless N router and hook up to your DSL modem/router or 2 use you Apple Airport Express. That should be Dual Wireless N router. If you have an Apple device (iPhone, IPad, or Mac) you should have an easy time to setup your new wireless N network. Your wireless N devices can use the new N network.

mrscaston30

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the Uverse. Your DSL modem is limited to wireless G and Uverse is limited to 24mbps and 3mbps up. You have a few choices to boost in home signal and speed. 1 buy a wireless N router and hook up to your DSL modem/router or 2 use you Apple Airport Express. That should be Dual Wireless N router. If you have an Apple device (iPhone, IPad, or Mac) you should have an easy time to setup your new wireless N network. Your wireless N devices can use the new N network.

Yeah that does suck. I took another screenshot about a mile away from my home and I had all my bars. Clearly it's my home connection. I'll try the options you gave but until I get rid of uverse I think I may be stuck with poor reception. Decisions decisions.

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think i may have misunderstood your issue. I will say adding the airport express will help your wifi signal issue in your home. You should get better signal coverage with that. As for your LTE signal, inside depending on the structure of the building/house and location will affect your LTE signal. Now AT&T does sell a box that will help your LTE signal in the home. Not sure of cost or any monthly costs for it. I do know people that have used it in low signal areas. But if trying the airport express does work and allows you to use the new network N you setup, I don't think you will need to worry about LTE signal in your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC