Note 2: does the plug in charger go bad?

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been very slow to charge, I bought a new battery for it. The phone is a year old. Any thoughts and if its the charger what do you recommend for a new one? thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: does the plug in charger go bad?

How long has your phone been slow to charge? If you're still using the Samsung charger you could try using a different uUSB cable and see if that makes any difference.

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I have been using the stock plug and cable from samsung that came with the phone. I would say 3 weeks its been very slow to charge. So I bought the battery this weekend and no change.

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Any 2.1 amp transformer should work. If you have one laying around from a prior Samsung smartphone or a tablet. Use the USB cable that came with the phone. If the charging does not improve it could be the USB cable. You may want to try another cable, but it needs to be a high quality cable, not a cheap one. That may mean you buy a new Charging kit or if your prior phone was a Samsung, try that cable and the other transformer. If that still doesn't work, take your phone in and have them check it out, repaired, or replaced.

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Android Central Forums

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

To the thread's headline question, "does the plug in charger go bad," the answer is "yes." A charger is an electronic device, and electronic devices can go bad.

What I think you really meant to as was "Is it common for the Note II's stock charger to go bad?" And the answer to that is "no"... but it's not unheard of, by any means. And with regard to your purchasing what at least appears to be a Samsung-branded factory replacement on such as Amazon, be careful! Most -- and by that I mean so many that I could almost say "all" -- of those chargers are cheap Chinese knock-offs, illegally bearing the "Samsung" brand name; and, to the last of them, they can barely deliver even an amp, must less the full 2.1 amps. So stay away from those!

Sadly, if you want a Samsung-branded 2.1 amp charger for the Note II, you pretty much have to go to the Samsung website and purchase it -- for its outrageously-high price -- from there, as an add-on for the Note II. However, there are reasonably-priced -- usually two-USB-port chargers for both 120VAC wall outlets, and 12VDC automobile cigarette-lighter-outlets, by... oh... say... Ventev or Anker, for example, just to name two of the more reliable makers -- which deliver a full 2.1 amps from at least one of their ports; and since many of them are rated at 3-point-something to 4-point-something amps, combined, out of both USB ports, they can also simultaneously deliver another amp or amp-and-a-half out of their 2nd USB ports so that you can charge a second (smaller than a Note II) phone.

The thing is, though, that not just the charger, but also the cable, must be capable of handling the amperage that the phone's trying to draw... in the case of the Note II, a whopping (by phone charger standards) 2.1 amps. Obviously, the cable that came with the phone and its stock charger is capable of handling the 2.1 amps; however, not every USB charger/data cable -- even those made for Samsung Galaxy family phones -- can handle a full 2.1 amps...

...and some of that is because of the light weight of the stranded wires inside the cable; and some of that is because of that, combined with the cable being maybe too long. A lighter-weight cable can handle a full 2.1 amps if it's very short; and even a heavier cable cannot if it's too long. The shorter the cable, the less you have to worry so much about whether the wires inside are heavy enough; but if you insist on using a long (6- to 10-foot or longer) cable, then its wires, inside, must be heavy, indeed, in order to handle 2.1 amps.

There are also cables, out there, made expressly for charging, but which have no data capability... like the "charging only" cables made by MediaBridge, or Belkin, for example. The USB both charging and data cables made by EZOPower tend to be very high quality (for the price), and can often -- especially at the shorter lengths -- be counted on to be able to handle the higher amperages...

...something it's good to know, also, because the same cheap Chinese knock-off problem which exists regarding Samsung-branded chargers also exists with Samsung-branded cables. To get cables capable of higher amperages, you've got to get the known-to-be-of-higher-quality third party ones... from such as Belkin or EZOPower, for example, just to name two makers.

If you're not using the cable that came with the Note II and its 2.1 amp charger, then there's no telling what is the amperage capability of that cable you're using... especially if it's longer. All USB data/charging cables for cell phones are not equal; and if you're using a cheap and/or too long cable that's not the one that came with the phone and its charger (and remember that if you've got a few of 'em lying around, it's very easy to get 'em mixed-up), then that could, indeed, account for slower charging.

But so could, as your headline asked, a charger that's going bad... and they can go bad.

So, too, can the charger port on the bottom of the phone... the place where you plug the small end of the charger/data cable. Gratefully, the part (at least if it's aftermarket/third-part) is very inexpensive; but you shouldn't try to replace it yourself... it's very tricky to open-up a phone and not screw things up. Definitely take it to a qualified repair person if you want to get that part changed...

...but, of course, don't do even that until you determine that that's really the problem. I'm just sayin' that that could be what's gone bad, too.

Any 2.1 amp transformer should work.

That's incorrect. Any charger -- of any amperage -- made for use with any Samsung Galaxy family phone (and that's the operative phrase) will charge a Note II. The charger's rated amperage (as well as the weight of the cable; more on that in a moment) will determine how fast.

The charger that comes with a Note II is a 2.1 amp charger, and so it will charge the Note II t he fastest (the Note II will only draw a maximum of 2.1 amps, so a higher-amp charger will not speed things up); however, even an old Samsung Galaxy "Captivate" .7 amp charger will fully charge even and almost-dead Note II, but simply slower. As long as one's charging overnight -- allowing all those hours to charge -- then the truth is that any charger, as long as it's made for a Samsung Galaxy family phone, will fully charge a Note II.

And many experts in how batteries work will tell you that a battery routinely charged more slowly than it's capable of being charged wil cause it to give-up its charge less readily, and make the battery seem to last longer. My experience is that if that's true, it certainly isn't by much; and so re-charging at the full 2.1 amps is fine... especially with lithium ion batteris of the type that come in the Note II.

Use the USB cable that came with the phone.

Agreed; and I've just written, above, about why.

If the charging does not improve it could be the USB cable. You may want to try another cable, but it needs to be a high quality cable, not a cheap one.

Agree, yet again; and I've herein, above, covered why.

My phone has been very slow to charge, I bought a new battery for it.

If you bought a Samsung-branded battery from such as Amazon, then it may be very sub-standard... yet another cheap Chinese knock-off; and, if so, then that, right there, could be the problem. If you insist on the battery bearing the Samsung brand, then the only truly safe way to get one is, again, to go to the Samsung website and pay through the nose for it; or you could take the phone to an AT&T Device Support Center (not a store, mind you, but a true device support center) and they can give or sell you a Samsung-branded battery that's really made by Samsung; and, as long as you're there, you could have them completely troubleshoot the slow charging problem.

If a third-party/aftermarket battery will do, then such as the RAVPower branded one (3100mAh) is my number one choice; however, that said, my second choice is QCell; and then Anker makes a decent one, as does the earlier-mentioned EZOPower; and some other well-known and reliable brands include Onite, ZeroLemon and Hyperion. Get the RAVPower, though (for typically only around ten bucks) and you'll be very happy!

Any thoughts and if its the charger what do you recommend for a new one?

Again, this Anker (the port on it labeled "Apple" puts-out a reliable 2.1 amps, even with something plugged-in to the other port), or this Ventev (which delivers only 2.1 amps across both ports, so only one port could be used with the Note II plugged-in to it), or this Ventev (which can simultaneously deliver 2.1 amps out of both ports, so you could simultaneously charge two Note II's). I've used all Anker and Ventev products, and they alwyas deliver their rated amperages out of all ports... with no Chinese knock-off problems! Or, of course, there's always this.

I have been using the stock plug and cable from samsung that came with the phone. I would say 3 weeks its been very slow to charge. So I bought the battery this weekend and no change.

Well, I've herein talked about the possibility of some of all that not being true, and what it could mean; and what you should do to correct it. Beyond that, this app (though preferably the PRO version) will help you to see exactly at what amperage your phone is being charged... either at any instant, or over time. It's simple, but very slick and useful. The problem is that that still won't tell you why...

...and so maybe a trip to the device support center is ultimately what you should do. However, if you could talk a salesperson at an AT&T store into letting you try charging your phone using a brand new charger and cable from an unsold phone, then that aforementioned app will let you see, in realtime, in an instant, whether even a new charger and cable is doing the job. If it's not, then perhaps the earlier-mentioned port is bad...

...though before you go in any of those directions, properly power the phone off; then put your old battery (the one that came with the phone) back into the phone; and then power the phone back up and let it finish booting-up... give it a few minutes to ensure that it's still not loading things; then properly power it down/off; then remove the battery and go get coffee... at Starbucks... preferably one on the other side of town, while that phone sits, with no power applied to it at all... for... oh... let's say a half hour... maybe even an hour... believe it or not.

Then put the came-with-the-phone-battery back in it; power it up; wait for it to finish powering-up; and then try what you believe is the original factory charger and cable that came with the phone, and see if it suddenly charges faster. You could also use the aforementioned app to see what is it's true charging rate.

If you've been doing things like not power-off the phone properly, or swapping-in/out batteries without proper power-off/on, or if you've simply plugged-in the charger, then unplugged it, then plugged it in again too quickly, or any of a number of other little things like that...

...then the phone can become "confused" about whether it's plugged-in to a charger or to a USB port on a computer; and it definitely doesn't charge at 2.1 amps if it's thinking it's plugged-in to a computer's USB port. Definitely determine if that confusion has, for whatever reason, kicked-in. Doing the little exercise that I herein described (wherein I said to go get coffee) can help with that one...

...as can the infamous factory reset. When all else fails, back-up everything on the phone, and then do a factory reset to restore the phone back to however it came from the factory.

There are more things you can try, but I'm guessing that this post has pretty much filled your plate.

Let us know if you need additional suggestions/help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

It may also be a damaged pin in the micro USB port in the device. Hopefully not, and can easily be confirmed by using a different charger. If you know a friend who has a Galaxy S4, I believe that charger is capable of charging a Note 2.

This suggestion is a bit more of a reach, but you can try to clear your device's cache in recovery. If there is a data conflict involving the battery logs, then this might help. (Again, more a long shot, but better than a factory reset.)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I bought the battery from android central so I hope its real lol. I had a mini usb cable from monoprice I tried it and its charging faster it must be the cable. Thanks everyone for your input.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The charger that comes with the Note 2 does go bad. I've had mine replaced twice in less than a year and a cheap aftermarket one works better.

Posted via Android Central App

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

I will add a subjective observation to your detailed explanation, related to the use of an external battery.
I`m a quite active Android user, I tend to stay all day long on wifi, use video calls and play games, so my stock baterry is over in 4 days. Luckily for me, Zerolemon external battery is able to stay alive five days, comparing with Qcell similar model, going down the third day

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

To the thread's headline question, "does the plug in charger go bad," the answer is "yes." A charger is an electronic device, and electronic devices can go bad.

What I think you really meant to as was "Is it common for the Note II's stock charger to go bad?" And the answer to that is "no"... but it's not unheard of, by any means. And with regard to your purchasing what at least appears to be a Samsung-branded factory replacement on such as Amazon, be careful! Most -- and by that I mean so many that I could almost say "all" -- of those chargers are cheap Chinese knock-offs, illegally bearing the "Samsung" brand name; and, to the last of them, they can barely deliver even an amp, must less the full 2.1 amps. So stay away from those!

Sadly, if you want a Samsung-branded 2.1 amp charger for the Note II, you pretty much have to go to the Samsung website and purchase it -- for its outrageously-high price -- from there, as an add-on for the Note II. However, there are reasonably-priced -- usually two-USB-port chargers for both 120VAC wall outlets, and 12VDC automobile cigarette-lighter-outlets, by... oh... say... Ventev or Anker, for example, just to name two of the more reliable makers -- which deliver a full 2.1 amps from at least one of their ports; and since many of them are rated at 3-point-something to 4-point-something amps, combined, out of both USB ports, they can also simultaneously deliver another amp or amp-and-a-half out of their 2nd USB ports so that you can charge a second (smaller than a Note II) phone.

The thing is, though, that not just the charger, but also the cable, must be capable of handling the amperage that the phone's trying to draw... in the case of the Note II, a whopping (by phone charger standards) 2.1 amps. Obviously, the cable that came with the phone and its stock charger is capable of handling the 2.1 amps; however, not every USB charger/data cable -- even those made for Samsung Galaxy family phones -- can handle a full 2.1 amps...

...and some of that is because of the light weight of the stranded wires inside the cable; and some of that is because of that, combined with the cable being maybe too long. A lighter-weight cable can handle a full 2.1 amps if it's very short; and even a heavier cable cannot if it's too long. The shorter the cable, the less you have to worry so much about whether the wires inside are heavy enough; but if you insist on using a long (6- to 10-foot or longer) cable, then its wires, inside, must be heavy, indeed, in order to handle 2.1 amps.

There are also cables, out there, made expressly for charging, but which have no data capability... like the "charging only" cables made by MediaBridge, or Belkin, for example. The USB both charging and data cables made by EZOPower tend to be very high quality (for the price), and can often -- especially at the shorter lengths -- be counted on to be able to handle the higher amperages...

...something it's good to know, also, because the same cheap Chinese knock-off problem which exists regarding Samsung-branded chargers also exists with Samsung-branded cables. To get cables capable of higher amperages, you've got to get the known-to-be-of-higher-quality third party ones... from such as Belkin or EZOPower, for example, just to name two makers.

If you're not using the cable that came with the Note II and its 2.1 amp charger, then there's no telling what is the amperage capability of that cable you're using... especially if it's longer. All USB data/charging cables for cell phones are not equal; and if you're using a cheap and/or too long cable that's not the one that came with the phone and its charger (and remember that if you've got a few of 'em lying around, it's very easy to get 'em mixed-up), then that could, indeed, account for slower charging.

But so could, as your headline asked, a charger that's going bad... and they can go bad.

So, too, can the charger port on the bottom of the phone... the place where you plug the small end of the charger/data cable. Gratefully, the part (at least if it's aftermarket/third-part) is very inexpensive; but you shouldn't try to replace it yourself... it's very tricky to open-up a phone and not screw things up. Definitely take it to a qualified repair person if you want to get that part changed...

...but, of course, don't do even that until you determine that that's really the problem. I'm just sayin' that that could be what's gone bad, too.

That's incorrect. Any charger -- of any amperage -- made for use with any Samsung Galaxy family phone (and that's the operative phrase) will charge a Note II. The charger's rated amperage (as well as the weight of the cable; more on that in a moment) will determine how fast.

The charger that comes with a Note II is a 2.1 amp charger, and so it will charge the Note II t he fastest (the Note II will only draw a maximum of 2.1 amps, so a higher-amp charger will not speed things up); however, even an old Samsung Galaxy "Captivate" .7 amp charger will fully charge even and almost-dead Note II, but simply slower. As long as one's charging overnight -- allowing all those hours to charge -- then the truth is that any charger, as long as it's made for a Samsung Galaxy family phone, will fully charge a Note II.

And many experts in how batteries work will tell you that a battery routinely charged more slowly than it's capable of being charged wil cause it to give-up its charge less readily, and make the battery seem to last longer. My experience is that if that's true, it certainly isn't by much; and so re-charging at the full 2.1 amps is fine... especially with lithium ion batteris of the type that come in the Note II.

Agreed; and I've just written, above, about why.

Agree, yet again; and I've herein, above, covered why.

If you bought a Samsung-branded battery from such as Amazon, then it may be very sub-standard... yet another cheap Chinese knock-off; and, if so, then that, right there, could be the problem. If you insist on the battery bearing the Samsung brand, then the only truly safe way to get one is, again, to go to the Samsung website and pay through the nose for it; or you could take the phone to an AT&T Device Support Center (not a store, mind you, but a true device support center) and they can give or sell you a Samsung-branded battery that's really made by Samsung; and, as long as you're there, you could have them completely troubleshoot the slow charging problem.

If a third-party/aftermarket battery will do, then such as the RAVPower branded one (3100mAh) is my number one choice; however, that said, my second choice is QCell; and then Anker makes a decent one, as does the earlier-mentioned EZOPower; and some other well-known and reliable brands include Onite, ZeroLemon and Hyperion. Get the RAVPower, though (for typically only around ten bucks) and you'll be very happy!

Again, this Anker (the port on it labeled "Apple" puts-out a reliable 2.1 amps, even with something plugged-in to the other port), or this Ventev (which delivers only 2.1 amps across both ports, so only one port could be used with the Note II plugged-in to it), or this Ventev (which can simultaneously deliver 2.1 amps out of both ports, so you could simultaneously charge two Note II's). I've used all Anker and Ventev products, and they alwyas deliver their rated amperages out of all ports... with no Chinese knock-off problems! Or, of course, there's always this.

Well, I've herein talked about the possibility of some of all that not being true, and what it could mean; and what you should do to correct it. Beyond that, this app (though preferably the PRO version) will help you to see exactly at what amperage your phone is being charged... either at any instant, or over time. It's simple, but very slick and useful. The problem is that that still won't tell you why...

...and so maybe a trip to the device support center is ultimately what you should do. However, if you could talk a salesperson at an AT&T store into letting you try charging your phone using a brand new charger and cable from an unsold phone, then that aforementioned app will let you see, in realtime, in an instant, whether even a new charger and cable is doing the job. If it's not, then perhaps the earlier-mentioned port is bad...

...though before you go in any of those directions, properly power the phone off; then put your old battery (the one that came with the phone) back into the phone; and then power the phone back up and let it finish booting-up... give it a few minutes to ensure that it's still not loading things; then properly power it down/off; then remove the battery and go get coffee... at Starbucks... preferably one on the other side of town, while that phone sits, with no power applied to it at all... for... oh... let's say a half hour... maybe even an hour... believe it or not.

Then put the came-with-the-phone-battery back in it; power it up; wait for it to finish powering-up; and then try what you believe is the original factory charger and cable that came with the phone, and see if it suddenly charges faster. You could also use the aforementioned app to see what is it's true charging rate.

If you've been doing things like not power-off the phone properly, or swapping-in/out batteries without proper power-off/on, or if you've simply plugged-in the charger, then unplugged it, then plugged it in again too quickly, or any of a number of other little things like that...

...then the phone can become "confused" about whether it's plugged-in to a charger or to a USB port on a computer; and it definitely doesn't charge at 2.1 amps if it's thinking it's plugged-in to a computer's USB port. Definitely determine if that confusion has, for whatever reason, kicked-in. Doing the little exercise that I herein described (wherein I said to go get coffee) can help with that one...

...as can the infamous factory reset. When all else fails, back-up everything on the phone, and then do a factory reset to restore the phone back to however it came from the factory.

There are more things you can try, but I'm guessing that this post has pretty much filled your plate.

Let us know if you need additional suggestions/help.

Very good post with accurate information, maybe a little long, but thank you for taking the time and putting so much work into it, nice to see a battery/charger post with accurate and important information

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

Very good post with accurate information, maybe a little long, but thank you for taking the time and putting so much work into it, nice to see a battery/charger post with accurate and important information

I used a little Anker batteries and wasn`t very satisfied with it. I got the impression it was draining even faster than the stock battery. Luckily, the Zerolemon battery I used for S4 convinced of the wise choice I made, as well as the need to wait for a suitable battery for S4 mini:)

Karl Thomas

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
My phone has been very slow to charge, I bought a new battery for it. The phone is a year old. Any thoughts and if its the charger what do you recommend for a new one? thx
For Note 2,you can choose a quick charger or a universal charger per your preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12