4.3 update for Note 2: Post your results and feedback here

Kdubbn

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So I was able to update to 4.3 today (Oklahoma City) and my biggest "aaahhhh yeeeaaahhhh" with the update is the display: my phone just seems so much sharper and the colors just look freak'n fantastic, I love it!
I haven't, so far, noticed any problems but am a bit confused on one thing and I wonder if that's just how it is or/and if there's an explanation:
In my pull down menu the "ongoing/running" apps (right above my notifications, pic attached) I have so much more listed then ever before. At the moment I have 7 listed, is this normal? I really don't like it and I have been to each app to see if there was some sort of toggle that I could change but there isn't. Is there a way to fix this or is this just how it is? Otherwise I've only notice a bit more lag in the overall speed of my phone but I like 4.3.
Any thoughts though? Thanks guys!

KW

SwiftKey'd to you from a Galaxy -Note? II- far, far, far away...... This is an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

Attachments

• notification panel.png
    notification panel.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 68

The_Real_Me_91

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that every time I pull out the pen I have to close the snote pop-up even though I have it De-selected. I can't figure out how to get it to not do that.

Posted via Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
People having issues really need to do a factory reset. I never do an upgrade without resetting my phone before and right after the upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

Leofsiege

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of information about resetting the phone. What is the difference between a hard and factory reset, and what is the proper procedure?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of information about resetting the phone. What is the difference between a hard and factory reset, and what is the proper procedure?

I don't know the difference or if there is. I just do a factory reset. After I reset, I also wipe the cache in recovery mode.

Leofsiege

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so let me make sure I have it. Back up the phone, factory reset (completely wipe), restore phone. In doing this, I still keep 4.3, correct?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so let me make sure I have it. Back up the phone, factory reset (completely wipe), restore phone. In doing this, I still keep 4.3, correct?

Right..it will still keep the current OS. I don't "back up" because I use sync and have copies of ringtones and apk downloads on my card. If you need to back up things, then back up and do the reset.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is related to the 4.3 update or not, but after I updated to 4.3 yesterday and today I updated my Dropbox app to the latest version... I got an email from Dropbox notifying me that I have became a "Dropbox Guru" and got extra 48Gb of storage for next 12 months. It also said that "Thanks again for supercharging your Samsung device with Dropbox". When I first got the Note II last year on AT&T, I was told that AT&T version of the Note II does not get the extra Dropbox storage. But I guess somehow update to 4.3 somehow qualified my phone for the extra storage now.

hsk1610

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I was having wifi issues after upgrading to 4.3. When mobile data is enabled, I could not connect to wifi so I contacted Samsung and this is what they said:
basically you have to turn off mobile data anytime you want to use wifi. I call BS on this since my previous Android version did not have an issue. Guess a hard reset is the only way to go.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Sylvia'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1117901557740X

Sylvia: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: hello. Just updated my AT&T note2 yesterday & thought everything was fine till I noticed it's not connecting to wifi. It finds it & says it's connected under it But at top it keeps saying connecting & never does. When I go out of that & go back to check connection it always says "TURNED OFF" under my wifi Note that wifi worked perfectly before update.

Sylvia: I will be right with you.

Sylvia: I understand that you have an issue in accessing wi-fi in your devices .Is that correct?

Visitor: yes

Visitor: when mobile data is enabled, it's not letting it connect to the wifi

Sylvia: Thank you for confirming.

Sylvia: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .

Visitor: sgh-i317

Sylvia: Thank you for providing the model number.

Sylvia: Let us perform soft reset that would fix the issue. Soft reset refreshes the software of the device and internal circuitary.

Sylvia: Let me know shall we perform.

Visitor: yes

Sylvia: Please follow the steps mentioned below to perform a soft reset on your Phone.

Sylvia: 1. Turn off the handset.

Sylvia: 2. Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.

Sylvia: 3. Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device.

Sylvia: Please keep me posted when you are done.

Visitor: ok doing it now

Sylvia: Okay, Please go ahead.

Visitor: rebooting

Sylvia: Thank you for keeping me posted.

Visitor: turned on mobile data and immediately wifi is disconnected

Visitor: i turned on wifi back and tried to connect, but it says connected on the wifi screen, but on the top it is still listed as using 4g lte and then the wifi is off again

Sylvia: Please let me know if you can Internet through wi -fi when data plan is turned off.

Visitor: yes I can

Sylvia: Sorry for the typo.

Sylvia: Thank you.

Sylvia: Please let me know if you are facing this issue after updating your device.

Visitor: yes only after updating to android 4.3 from 4.1.2

Sylvia: After updating your device to 4.3 version it is required to turn off the mobile data plan to use the wi-fi network.

Visitor: before it was automatic. Seems like a big hassle to go back and forth to turn off mobile data to use wifi and vice versa

Sylvia: Yes it is required to turn off the mobile data plan.

Sylvia: I do understand your concern. -To access the wi-fi it is required to turn off the mobile data.

Sylvia: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?

Visitor: thank you.

Sylvia: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Visitor: no

babylon5fan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have not done a hard reset. I don't want to rebuild this phone. What will happen when I want my apps back? Will the Play Store remember what I paid for.

Is there any alternative? If not, what backup apps do you folks recommend? Is there a great free app? What is the best paid backup app?

I am getting occasional freezes.
AT&T smart Wi-Fi crashes a lot.
I have had to remove the battery at least twice so far because of lockup.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have not done a hard reset. I don't want to rebuild this phone. What will happen when I want my apps back? Will the Play Store remember what I paid for.

Is there any alternative? If not, what backup apps do you folks recommend? Is there a great free app? What is the best paid backup app?

I am getting occasional freezes.
AT&T smart Wi-Fi crashes a lot.
I have had to remove the battery at least twice so far because of lockup.

Yes the play store remembers what you purchased and even the free apps you downloaded, all of them. You just have to choose them to download again.

I would disable the AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, it has always caused problems.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Just updated to 4.3 (att). The keyboard has got much worse.
1. Swype doesn't add any word to my custom dictionary. I did reset the swype and cleaned the cache, but no luck.
2. Keyboard occasionally becomes unresponsive for a few seconds.
3. Wifi gets frequently disconnected.

I want to go back to my previous version.

Try this
Go to settings → wifi → Advanced
make sure you have the setting " Keep wifi ON during sleep" to Always and also check the box "Auto Switch networks"
This should help.

As for me am still in love with the Screen after update and my battery life is much better.

Good luck.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There is also a wifi power saving mode buried in other settings. Bring up the menu using one of the #* codes. I used *#197328640# on the dialer screen. This wifi option is in all of these buried menus, just hit the menu button.

When the service menu comes up, tap the menu button and choose "wifi".

Then you will see wifi power saving mode on, tap that button to turn it off, tap the menu button again, choose "end".

Attachments

• 1387896299021.jpg
    1387896299021.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 40
  • 1387896366284.jpg
    1387896366284.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 40

NicoleW78

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I looked up the difference between hard reset and factory reset. What I found was that a hard reset will wipe everything, including your memory card. A factory reset will only wipe your phone. I still backed up everything and did just a factory reset. I can say that it definitely fixed the wifi issue. Still waiting to see if the battery issue is better. I haven't been able to judge yet, as I was using my phone more last night and this morning getting things set back up the way I like them. It seems to be quicker again, and the bit of a lag after the update does seem to be gone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset is what I always do. Samsung also told me there is a known issue with Google location and Google is working on it. It causes a ton of wakelocks with the play store.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys ever remember upgrading your Windows PC and having problems?!?! It was/is much better to reformat and then do a 'CLEAN' install. Same thing here. When you upgrade, some files from the old OS stay behind and conflict with the new OS causing errors. That is why you must factory reset to get rid of these problems. The only people who have a problem factory resetting are usually app hoarders, lol!

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys ever remember upgrading your Windows PC and having problems?!?! It was/is much better to reformat and then do a 'CLEAN' install. Same thing here. When you upgrade, some files from the old OS stay behind and conflict with the new OS causing errors. That is why you must factory reset to get rid of these problems. The only people who have a problem factory resetting are usually app hoarders, lol!

This is exactly what I did before and after I updated. And it really helps take care of the phone in the long run.

As for the update after a week of playing with it, battery life has improved to be about the same or slightly better than 4.1.2. When I first installed this update, battery life was awful.

Flash player doesn't work as smoothly with the stock browser anymore; it occasionally causes the browser to crash. You have to use Dolphin with Jetpack for efficient Flash media consumption.

The music player is full-screen now, which I'm not a huge fan of; I liked having the status bar on top of the screen. But on the flip side, I like the "x" button on the notification panel to close the player right away. I hated how I always had to open the music player, call up the menu button and close it that way before the update.

It's easier to clear default apps now; you can do it through the task manager.

The new Samsung keyboard is much more aggressive at auto-correct now. I have mixed feelings about it, but I generally like it.

You can disable stock apps without having to uninstall the updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam