Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rgarcia900
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PLEASE HELP. I can't update 4.1.1 after unlocking and have tried everything

Hey, everyone. I have the i317 Note 2, its At&t. It had 4.3 firmware on it and from what I read, in order to unlock it, I needed to downgrade to 4.1.1, which I did. I successfully got it running on 4.1.1 (KIES_HOME_I317UCALJ2_I317ATTALJ2_215287_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5) using Odin. From there, I was able to unlock it through the hidden menus. I tested it by putting in a tmobile sim and I was able to send a text and get tmobile 4g. I then went to upgrade the firmware back to 4.3 and the problem is it wont update. I have tried over the wifi on the phone and through Kies. When I update the firmware, it downloads and installs, but then gets stuck at the samsung galaxy note 2 boot up screen. I am able to use Odin and go back to 4.1.1 and it is still unlocked, but no matter what I try, I cant update the firmware.

As of now, the phone IS WORKING. It is running 4.1.1 and is unlocked. Any ideas what I am doing wrong or how to be able to update the phone? thanks

current settings:
    android version: 4.1.1
    baseband version: i317UCALJ2
    kernel version: 3.0.31-215287
    build number: JRO03C.i317UCALJ2

thanks in advance for any help!!!!
    Thanked by:

Default Re: PLEASE HELP. I can't update 4.1.1 after unlocking and have tried everything

Use a custom rom my friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: PLEASE HELP. I can't update 4.1.1 after unlocking and have tried everything

is there a reason why I need to use a custom one? since its running 4.1.1, shouldnt it be able to update?

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

It is my understanding that once you're on 4.3, you can't go back. Been there, done that. Your phone is running 4.1.1. But the bootloader is still 4.3 so it won't update because it is up to date. Wait until Samsung releases a flash able 4.3. For now, your warranty is most likely void as Knox is most likely tripped. Put your phone in download mode and look for "Knox warranty Void:" 0x0 = Not Void. 0x1=Warranty Void. This will also confirm 4.3 bootloader. At least that is my experience and understanding. I ended up exchanging my pristine Note I I unlocked for a refurbished due to soft brick (I did fix) no 4.3 update and Knox tripped. The rep did not understand the Knox status. He only checked for custom rom and root.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app
    BrendanMarshal likes this.

Post Re: PLEASE HELP. I can't update 4.1.1 after unlocking and have tried everything

Your best bet is to use Skynote which is an att build and is 4.3 with most note 3 features and it's very stable. I am back and forth between that and DittoNote 3 which will also work on your phone (I am on i317m so our roms are compatible) and is also 4.3 with note 3 features and is very smooth and stable. Or u could always try just flashing the Rogers version of 4.3...it is extremely similar to att. U may have to flash an att modem after flashing the rom but it would get u a clean stock 4.3. I have used att roms on Rogers Samsung devices a few times and had no problems. Your best bet is one of the 2 I mentioned earlier tho...DittoNote or Skynote gear edition...just search either one on and if u decide u want stock...u can always get the Rogers 4.3 from . And u can search for either 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 modem on xda in the At&t note 2 section. Oh BTW. .When I unlocked my note 2 with the same method as u, I just flashed the lj2 baseband..u should not have needed to flash the whole firmware/rom. :-)

Exactly. ..hit it right on the head rgarcia900. Custom will have to do. If u did a n android backup and restored u would have been fine...at least i was. 1.)ALWAYS DO A BACKUP....NOW READ WHAT I JUST WROTE AGAIN. 2.) Get a custom recovery if u don't already have one and...u guessed it, DO A N AND FULL BACKUP...I DID DATA/SYSTEM/EFS/MODEM...PICK ALL OPTIONS that way stuff like this can't ever happen. I use twrp2 and I will tell ya...that n and backup got me out of a few sticky situations. For now like this guy say...u will have to wait until your 4.3 firmware is released on sammobile or where ever. Just flash a recovery if u don't have one and flash the DittoNote or Skynote .zip and u will be pleasantly surprised at how much better they are than stock 4.3 and that will hold u over until u get stock back ( although u won't want it after u try the 2 roms I speak of..lol) good luck sir.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Just a quick FYI.. anyone can unlock the note 2. Samsung uses a hidden menu system that in order to access you must go to the stock dialer and through the right combination of numbers, stars and # signs can gain access to. Once in the right menu you can simply press a button to unlock the device. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    Just a quick FYI.. anyone can unlock the note 2. Samsung uses a hidden menu system that in order to access you must go to the stock dialer and through the right combination of numbers, stars and # signs can gain access to. Once in the right menu you can simply press a button to unlock the device. Google it.

Oh Jdub..you googled but don't understand!!! yes anyone can unlock...ON ANDROID 4.1.1 anything after that the dialer options are gone, the op clearly stated he had 4.3 and downgraded so he can use the exact method you are referring too, because trust me it doesn't work on 4.3 or go ahed and try it, ill give you 5 bucks if your dialer method works on 4.3, but the op did unlock it he just can't upgrade back to 4.3, I will be attempting to do that myself in about 5 mins