Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fact. Unlocked AT&T Note 2, Contacts has stopped - Can I update software from abroad?

hello,

I have a factory unlocked AT&T Galaxy Note 2 that I normally use with straight talk service in America.

However, right now, I am in Europe,
    and for no apparent reason I now get an error message "unfortunately Contacts has stopped".

I have tried disable and enable the Contacts app to fix the issue, to no avail.

I am now thinking about maybe updating my software, currently the android version 4.1.2.

But when I click on the software update button, it opens and "AT&T software update" window.
    When I press the software update button, it gives me an error message.
    I don't remember what the error message was,
    but it made me think that because I am not on an AT&T network, maybe the software will never be able to update,
    since it may be an AT&T-specific software to update the operating system?

Am I mistaken?

I just tried to update the software again, to confirm which error message I would get,
    but now it tells me that "current software is up to date. You may check again in 23 hours and 40 minutes"

so MY QUESTION IS:
    am I able to update a AT&T galaxy note 2 EVEN IF I am not on an AT&T network? (all I have here is a Wi-Fi network and my French "Free" provider service 2G or 3G or 4G depending where I drive to )

As a bonus, any suggestions on how to fix my contacts issue?
    What it used to do is whenever I wanted to do a search by name, as soon as I typed in the first letter in the search box, this is when I received the error message "unfortunately contacts has stopped".
    I downloaded another application called "GO Contacts Ex" but it's really not easy to use, and I would like to just get back to the weight used to be.

Also, more often than not, if I go into the sync settings of my Gmail account on my phone,
    I see an error message only in front of Sync Contact, "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."
    but everything else, Add Data, Calendar, Gmail, all other seem to have been synced a few minutes prior.
    but the Contacts is showing this error message...

Thank you so very much in advance, I have spent the last six hours going from forum to forum but can't find any responses...